PDA

View Full Version : Two ADAM's, One Printer

NeXT
October 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I have come across two Coleco ADAM's. One is the standalone unit with two cassette drives and no expansion cards, the other is the Number 3 expansion for the ColecoVision. It too also has two cassette decks and no expansion cards.
I unfortunately only have one keyboard, printer, and two white controllers so I can choose to own one or the other and not both.
I also received two brand new but blank ADAM-specific tapes.
I have a ColecoVision but it's in unknown condition with one controller.
I'm killing myself over the decision. In the end they both are the same system but which one should I choose?

lotonah
October 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Make the stand alone unit the operational one. It is likely to be more stable (less to go wrong).

Plus, then you can hook up the ColecoVision and play a game of Donkey Kong while you wait for things to print off on that damn printer ;)

BUT, keep the expansion module, too... they're getting hard to come by. My two cents.

NeXT
October 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Speaking of hard to come by, what kind of expansion cards were available for the ADAM? I have never seen any before.

Raven
October 31st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Dunno about ADAM cards, but I do happen to know that there's an expansion unit for the ColecoVision to let it play Atari 2600 carts. ;D (there's also a racing wheel, and some other stuff, iirc)

NeXT
October 31st, 2010, 03:19 PM
I know of the racing wheel and I saw the 2600 expansion on AVGN but I'm optimistic that such an adapter does not fetch a high price these days.

lotonah
November 1st, 2010, 01:40 AM
There's been a few expansions.

Of course, all of the ColecoVision ones: Driving adapter, Roller Controller, Atari adapter.

On the ADAM, there's been a modem, disk drive, memory cards, parallel port card, and lately a CF-card adapter. There's probably more, but I'm not really in the "scene", I just watch from the sidelines. Someday I'll own one again... :)

geoffm3
November 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the standalone unit. The reason is because it's more compact, and also includes composite video out where Exp Module 3 will be limited to the RF Modulated output. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can easily replace the printer altogether with a PC power supply. The printer is only required for power, but barring that you can power it without.

geoffm3
November 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
As far as expansion for the ADAM, there's been quite a few over the years:

Coleco and third party floppy drives. These are fairly uncommon. I have only ever seen one third part floppy drive personally.

Memory expanders from 64KB up to 1MB.

Serial and Parallel port adapters.

Speech synthesis

80 Column terminal adapters (for CP/M)

MIDIMite for MIDI ports and sequencing

Hard disks, both IDE and RLL/MFM varieties, either with an expansion card or through the ADAMNet port.

There is also the aforementioned SD adapter that's supposed to plug into the ADAMNet now I believe.

EDIT: Oh yeah, once upon a time I had a TIM (TI Image Maker) that I adapted to the ADAM. The TIM used a Yamaha V9958 VDP chip. This was in fact also planned by the maker for the ADAM (as the AIM). It was pretty nifty. I just wrote enough software for it to program the palette with the standard 9928 color set so that it would run some software. The display was excellent due to the use of Analog RGB output. I ran into a few software compatibilities with it though that I never addressed.

NeXT
November 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Okay, so there were a few options though ebay just didn't show anything notable other than the modem. :/
I picked up yet another ADAM with nothing included but the unit and I have noticed a trend where the pinch roller on the optional second cassette decks have melted and gummed up the encoder wheel yet the stock tape decks are perfectly fine. Were they constructed from a different material?