PDA

View Full Version : Color Classic having hard drive issues

TanruNomad
November 2nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
My color classic (which was working beautifully just last week) decided not to work today. I turn the computer on, it makes the mac start up sound and the screen lights up, but thats it. I hear the hard drive spin for a few seconds, then it stops, then it spins again, then it stops, etc. I'm guessing its the hard drive that went faulty. What can I do? Do you think it could be as simple as replace the 3.6 volt battery?
Edit: Forgot to mention a couple things. Firstly, I have no 3.5 disks to test. Also when I say the screen lights up, all I can see on the screen is the cursor (which moves when I move the mouse). No other images or icons are present at any time.

NeXT
November 3rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
Sounds like the hard drive decided to bite the dust.

mark66j
November 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
If it is just a hard-drive failure, I think you should eventually get the "no boot disk" icon on the screen (a floppy with blinking question mark). It might take a while if the controller keeps trying the disk.

I think Color Classics all support HD floppy drives, and there are utilities to make a Mac System 6 or 7 boot disk on a Linux or Windows PC if you don't have another Mac.

If it is just the hard drive, old SCSI drives are pretty cheap.