PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5150-Parity Check 2 message

marxway
November 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I hope someone here can help me. I recently broke my IBM 5150 out of storage (where it had been since 1993!). I set it up today and turned it on. When I did, I saw the following on the screen:

First the screen displays:
6040 201

That then disappears (after the A drive burps twice briefly) and is replaced by:
Parity Check 2

It stops there and will not boot. Any ideas what this is and what I can do to fix it?

All help gratefully accepted!!!

Terry Yager
November 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
First, try re-seating all the memory chips, both on the mainboard, and any expansion boards you may have installed. If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll probably need to replace some memory chips.

--T

marxway
November 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I thought it might be memory...

One other thought, then...if reseating doesn't work, should I try pulling the expansion board, in case the bad chip is on it? (the expansion board is an AST SixPakPlus).

Thanks for the quick response...it is much appreciated.

Erik
November 17th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Pull the AST first to see if the problem is on the main board or on the expansion. Keep in mind that you'll have to reset the memory size switches on the motherboard.

Once you've figured out which spot is bad you can swap banks to see which chip(s) might be bad.

The 6-pack probably has 4164s onboard. The main board will have those or 4116s depending on its age. Getting a bank (9) of known-good chips will help a lot.

Erik

Micom 2000
November 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
201 is an IBM memory error code. The first # might be its location wherever that would be. There used to be a program (Check-it ?) that would locate the faulty chip but I think you'd need a Post(?) card to use it in this case.

Lawrence.