PDA

View Full Version : Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide to be made available online at A2OL

Drken
November 12th, 2010, 09:41 AM
As some of you may know, I was a Contributing Editor for the Apple IIGS Buyer’s Guide for part of its lifetime. I am pleased to announce that yesterday, 11 November 2010, www.Apple2Online.com received legal notification from America Online (current owner of the copyright) that it now has permission to host the entire Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide magazine on the site! This is fantastic news in that the magazine does not appear anywhere online and so this will be an important historical contribution to the online Apple II community.

I currently have 8 of the 14 issues of the Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide that were published and need to get the other 6 issues. Those 6 issues are:

• Winter 1987
• Spring 1989
• Winter 1989
• Summer 1990
• Fall 1990
• Winter 1990

In addition, there are several issues that preceded the final name of Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide that I need to obtain - The Apple II Review (2 issues?) and Apple IIGS Graphics & Sound Premier Issue (1 issue?).

I am putting the call out for anyone who has any of those missing issues to either provide me with a very clean PDF copy of the issue(s) or to allow me to scan their physical copies. If you have any of these issues or know anyone who does, please contact me immediately. Thank you!

Ken Buchholz
www.Apple2Online.com

TanruNomad
November 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM
This is great news! Glad to see my favorite computer getting more exposure.

Drken
November 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM
TanruNomad -

If you have any of the issues I'm missing, I sure would be grateful if you could share them with me to get them up and online at A2OL. I'm starting to scan the issues I have, and hope to have at least those up before Christmas.

Ken

Drken
November 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Rather than wait until I had all of the issues in my possession scanned, I opened the Apple IIGS BUyer's Guide library on www.Apple2Online.com this weekend with three issues available for downloading/viewing (in PDF file format). I will add each issue as it becomes available so the library will continue to grow. It's taking me about 5 hours per issue, so the process of scanning is slow. Part of that is due to the fact that most of the pages were either in color OR the pages themselves were shaded (e.g., gray page with black printing). The othe problem I ran into was my host's File Manager software limits uploads to 25 MB or less. With JustHost.com's help, I am now able to upload files of any size, meaning I will not have to split issues into 2 or more parts because of the overall file size.

Again, if you have any of the issues that we're missing, please get in touch with me to contribute what you can. If you have the physical copies, I will gladly scan them and return the physical copies to you - all at my cost (shipping both ways).

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

morpheus256
December 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Background info:
A number of months ago I met a guy close to me that had a quadra 700, and IIGS, plus a car load of boxes, books, Accessories, and 5 file boxes full of magazines. Moving everything to my Condo took 3 car trips, each way was 50km.
The IIGS came with ramfast scsi, zipgs, soundblaster, etc etc. I got the whole lot for $120...

To the point:
I've taken a very quick search through the boxes (theres literly hundreds of A+, incider, GS+ in there) and found 12 buyers guides. There might be more but that'll require a more careful search. I have 5 of the ones your missing.

Spring 1989
Winter 1989
Summer 1990
Fall 1990
Winter 1990

What advice can you give me on scanning them for you? I've had all sorts of issues scanning magazine graphics in the past due to the press's dots causing a moire pattern. "I'll also consult the Mrs on this since she works in the print industry"
I'd take you up on your offer to ship them, but there's a border between us and I think that's a hassle we'd both like to avoid.

Drken
December 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Morpheus -

So glad you found 5 of the missing 8 issues we need to complete the archive. Fantastic news indeed!

I've scanned each page for a final "printed page" output of 300 pdi, full color, 8.25" width by 10.75" height. It took me, on average, about 5-6 hrs/issue, which is why I offer to do the scanning myself, as well as pay for the shipping to/from me, since it is asking quite a bit for someone to spend that amount of time.

If you do the scanning, I must warn you to be extra careful for the last year's worth of issues. Apparently, Redgate Communications (the publisher) must have been experiencing some financial pinches with this quarterly magazine because the last issue I have in my possession - Spring 1990 - has the greatest majority of it's pages printed on cheap, newsprint-like paper rather than the high quality color glossy pages of the earlier issues. The result is that those newsprint-like pages easily pull apart at the staples.

Please email me and let me know how you'd like to proceed. And a huge THANK YOU!

Ken

Drken
January 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have all of the issues I have in my possession scanned & available at www.Apple2Online.com. We still are missing several issues so if you have any of those we're missing, we sure would be grateful for your contribution to the library!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Drken
January 17th, 2011, 02:11 AM
There are definitely a number of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a great point to bring up.

auto trader california Santa Ana (http://www.californiacarsdealerships.com/used-auto-dealers-buy-second-hand-car-dealerships-cheap-used-car-dealers-sell-car-trader/California-Santa-Ana) auto trader texas Plano (http://www.texascarsdealerships.com/used-auto-dealers-buy-second-hand-car-dealerships-cheap-used-car-dealers-sell-car-trader/Texas-Plano)

Can someone please delete this advertising BOT?

Drken
February 13th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Another call for the issues of The Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide that we're missing:

• Winter 1987
• Spring 1989
• Winter 1989
• Summer 1990
• Fall 1990
• Winter 1990

In addition, there are several issues that preceded the final name of Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide that I need to obtain - The Apple II Review (2 issues?) and Apple IIGS Graphics & Sound Premier Issue (1 issue?).

I am putting the call out again for anyone who has any of those missing issues to either provide me with a very clean PDF copy of the issue(s) or to allow me to scan their physical copies. If you have any of these issues or know anyone who does, please contact me immediately. Thank you!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com