PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad Day...

lyonadmiral
November 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
For many many years behind the library in my high school was a room known as the Graveyard. This room is where equipment that was broken or not useful anymore went to die. There were 16 millimeter projectors, overheads, opaque projectors, and other A/V type equipment. Computers were also kept in this room and a wide variety to my amazement. There were over two dozen Bell & Howell Apple II's, regular Apple II's, and stacks of PCjr's and XT's from the floor to the ceiling.

Why they were kept in there for as long as they were is beyond me, but what is even more beyond me is what they did with them recently. No offers or ads in the local paper to surplus them out for anyone. They all, every last piece of hardware & documentation (full sets for every machine) was sent to the scrap heap.

I mourn over the loss of such vintage.

dorkbert
November 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
"Your tax dollar at work."

VintageComputerman
November 12th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I happened to get a few old systems from someone who repaired them on the side and they were from a school. She sadly told me the school no longer gives them away, especially to students like they used to do because of the fear over law suits regarding the health hazards or if a kid opened up a system and pulls it apart they get exposure to hazardous chemicals. Strange thinking huh. They have to recycle it all now. So, it was to bad you weren't on their list of recycling companies. Offering recycling services to schools might be worth the paper work.

barythrin
November 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
You might be able to ask who they went to (recycler) and find them still. I swear so much of our stuff ends up at Goodwill though. Not sure how it works its way there but a lot of it does, just unfortunately not too much vintage stuff. Hmm.. there was some talk from one collector about a minor conspiracy on some big named friends of government officials who owned the majority of the recycling programs that the state and school went to. Was kinda shady and crappy to hear but I won't go into details as it's just talk as far as I know.

NeXT
November 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Most school districts now are bound by contract to send all recycleable material to a recycler for processing with steep penalties if they give stuff to people on th eside.
To the school board, you are not worth the risk for them potentially losing the contract.

lyonadmiral
November 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I happen to be on a school board. Personally I think the school should put surplus equipment back out into the community, but my two cents doesn't carry much weight anymore.