PDA

View Full Version : Can you ID these drives?

billdeg
November 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2010/ShopRibbonCutting/thm_drives.jpg
http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2010/ShopRibbonCutting/drives.jpg

Quiz - Can you ID these drives?

Chuck(G)
November 15th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Both 9-track drives. The top one looks to be a Qualstar. The bottom is probably a Cipher streamer, but could also be an HP or IBM-branded unit.

billdeg
November 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
The link shows a bigger picture view.
The top one is a Qualstar. The bottom one is an Emerald 9 track drive. I'll post more pictures when I get the chance.

Chuck(G)
November 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM
The bottom was hard to identify, as a Cipher streamer has the same black face. Was this really made by Emerson, or is it just a rebranding? AFAIK, Emerson never made any disk drives. A peek inside may solve that one.

edit That Emerson sticker is nothing new--I've seen the same sticker on box fans.

gslick
December 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I have one of those Qualstar 1052 drives. Does 1600BPI and 3200BPI. Standard Pertec interface. Not too slow when reading or writing to it from a PC with a PCTD16 ISA bus adapter, but very slow when using it with a Q-Bus interface on a PDP-11. On the plus side you can easily pick them up and move them around. My Fujitsu M244AC is cached and nice and fast, but weighs around 200 pounds and won't be moving anytime soon.

Chuck(G)
December 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Do you mean the M2444AC? Yeah, it was fun getting it out of the truck and into a rack and then the whole mess up a short flight of stairs--all by my lonesome. Some white-knuckle spots there.

gslick
December 30th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Yep M2444AC. Mine came in a 4 foot rack. I only had a couple of stairs to move the whole thing into the house from the garage by myself. It hasn't moved since then. Just wish it did 800BPI too so I could write some tapes for my HP 7970B tape drive.

billdeg
December 30th, 2010, 10:44 AM
The bottom was hard to identify, as a Cipher streamer has the same black face. Was this really made by Emerson, or is it just a rebranding? AFAIK, Emerson never made any disk drives. A peek inside may solve that one.

edit That Emerson sticker is nothing new--I've seen the same sticker on box fans.

I finally got up on the shelf to check. It's an EMERALD drive, and it's a 9-track drive. I did not see a model #. I corrected my earlier post stating it was a "Emerson". I may need glasses.

Chuck(G)
December 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Emerson, Emerald. It still wasn't made by them. Emerald was a VAR--they added enclosures, software and controllers to OEM products.

NeXT
December 30th, 2010, 06:11 PM
The rack drive looks vaguely similar to a Cipher drive.

Chuck(G)
December 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM
The rack drive looks vaguely similar to a Cipher drive.

That was my initial guess (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22746-Can-you-ID-these-drives&p=158628#post158628). Cipher made drives for lots of different brands.

Spent my share of hours on a VAX unraveling tape tangles from one many years ago...