PDA

View Full Version : Data transfer from two older Macs (Power Mac 5400/180 and G-3 tower) to brand new Mac

BrachiatingApe
November 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Okay...I've been scouring the Internet for a while now to find out how to do this. I agreed to help my Dad move a ton of data from his two old Macs (Power Mac 5400/180 and G3 w/ PowerPC G3 processor) to his brand-new Mac. I realize that I may have to use the G3 as an intermediary, though if I can avoid that, I should prefer to.

I've been trying to find info on a PM5400 compatible ZIP drive or CD-writer but with no such luck. I know they exist, or once did, but I've been out of luck so far actually find such things as model numbers, manufacturers, or (Heaven forfend) an actual piece of equipment for sale.

The Power Mac has a 25-pin SCSI connector, and is on OS 7.6.1. The G3 has both OSX v. 10.2.8 (Build 4P13), along w/ OS 9.1, on it.

I'm at my wit's end. Any help, advice, etc., would be appreciated. If you need more info, please let me know so I can get it from my Dad and post it.

Cheers.

glitch
November 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Any SCSI Zip drive will work with SCSI Macs...you just need the right driver. I think IOmega stil has it on their driver site...if not, it's easily found on the Internet. That would probably be the easiest in terms of just setting it up.

applefreak
November 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Why not using ethernet ?

Anonymous Freak
November 16th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Is the G3 the beige model or the blue-and-white model?

If it's the beige model, then you will just need a standard Macintosh serial cable (8-pin miniDIN,) to connect the two together as an AppleTalk network to get all of the data on the G3. Then you can boot the G3 into OS X and operate with modern computers via Ethernet.