PDA

View Full Version : Might be getting a PDP-11/73

kyeakel
November 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
One of my co-workers just stopped by and asked if I wanted a PDP-11/73. This person wants to get rid of the computer but not throw it away or have it scrapped. I collect old computers but this would be my first DEC computer. It is supposed to be operational and has some type of ASM monitor. It doesn't have an OS, and only some documentation. What should I be looking for as far as an OS for this machine? There seems to be quite a list of OS available for PDP-11, are they all capable of running on the 11/73? Can I make the diskettes on a PC?

Any help would be appreciated,
Kipp

Lou - N2MIY
November 19th, 2010, 02:23 AM
The answer is simple, yes, you want it!

You certainly can make diskettes on a PC and I would highly suggest the RT-11 operating system (which will remind you of MS DOS or CP/M).

Get the machine from your colleague and any other documentation / disks / cards / etc that he has, then take some photos and inventory the modules. If he has a video terminal and printer, get that too. There are at least six of us here that can help you with the rest.

Lou

pontus
November 19th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I think RT-11, RSTS and RSX-11M+ are among the more popular and usable choices. But it depends a bit on how much memory you have.

kyeakel
November 19th, 2010, 04:07 AM
The RT-11 sounds like a good starting place for me. I will take pictures, etc. I don't think there is a terminal but I have a Heathkit H-19 I can use (I hope). He didn't mention a printer, but I will check. I'm pretty psyc'd up about this.
Thanks for the info.
Kipp

tradde
November 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
The RT-11 sounds like a good starting place for me. I will take pictures, etc. I don't think there is a terminal but I have a Heathkit H-19 I can use (I hope). He didn't mention a printer, but I will check. I'm pretty psyc'd up about this.
Thanks for the info.
Kipp

The H19 should work fine. RT-11 is a good starting OS. I have considered trying RSTS, but haven't gotten there
yet. I have BSD 2.11 on it now. I think you'll have alot of fun with it and good luck.
Tim