PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5160 II

Jorg
November 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM
So.. this weekend I picked up a second 5160..

Good news: the ST 412 is ok. Better news: it has EGA :)

Now the only thing that has trouble is the floppy drive (full height). It seems to format and write, but isn't able to read anything.
Could this be a misadjustment? Is there anyway to correct this?

Its pretty tough putting software on the machine without the floppy... :?

Terry Yager
November 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Did you try replacing the cable?

--T

Jorg
November 27th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Took me some time to find one, but I replaced cable, and controller, and both- to no avail.
The drive searches, writes (at least it says so), but cant read any floppy, niether one that is perfectly readable on any other drive, nor one that has been formatted by itself.

lither
November 27th, 2005, 06:20 AM
clean the magnetic head
then use some oil to lubricate the motor

Jorg
November 27th, 2005, 06:37 AM
[/quote]clean the magnetic head[/quote]

mm.. what should I used for that- isopropylacohol?

[/quote]then use some oil to lubricate the motor[/quote]

ok

Thanks for the tips!

mbbrutman
November 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I wind up cleaning lots of old drives. Here are some general rules:

- Use Isopropyl alcohol in the highest concentrate you can get.

- For cleaning drive heads use a Q-tip like cleaner, but made of closed foam cells, not cotton. Cotton is bad because it catches the drive head and it sheds.

- Be exceedingly careful not to knock the drive heads out of alignment. A cleaning disk is much safer for this.

- Clean the drive rails using Q-tips and alcohol as well. Try to get rid of as much free dust and crud as you can everywhere on the drive, even the non-moving parts.

- Of course, you are doing all of this while properly grounded to prevent zapping things.

- Make sure the connectors are clean and corrosion free.

- Lightly lubricate the drive rails. Standard machine oil is poor because it attracts gunk. I use a teflon based lubricant that I found at Radio Shack, applied with a Q-tip. In a pinch a silicone spray type lubricant (sprayed onto a Q-tip, then applied) will work.

- Don't test the drive with a diskette that you love. :-)

Jorg
December 18th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Well, tried it:

before: formats diskette but cant read it

after: formats diskette but at the end complains about track not found, still can't read anything

Afraid I may have introduced alignment probs now..

BG101
December 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but being new to this forum I would love to know if you got it working ;)

BTW
Did the disks supposedly formatted/written to by this drive read OK in another machine?

BG