PDA

View Full Version : Getting Mac Classic floppy images from PC

Chromedome45
November 26th, 2010, 01:36 PM
So I found a Mac classic and was wondering how do I create floppies on the PC to read on the MAC? It currently has System 6.0.5 on it. I found images a apple but have no idea how to create on a PC...Pleas help

bluethunder
November 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Your classic should be able to read PC disks, so all you need to do us copy the compressed image files over on the the classic from the PC disk.

Depending on what was used to compress the file, expand it on the mac so it doesnt loose the resource files.

The images I've found usually were made in stuffit, which is a .sit file. You will need stuffit expander to open those.

There is also an hqx format, which at the moment, I can't recall what opens those.

tezza
November 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I tried this once, unsuccesfully. I think it's because I was confused over all the compression formats and didn't process images in the right way. It wasn't that important to me so I abandoned the project.

It's an area I'll have to (reluctantly) revisit now I want to make some Lisa disks.

Tez

Chromedome45
December 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
From what I understand only System 7 or greater can read a 1.44 floppy in as much as seeing the content. I have System 6.0.7 on it right now and if I install a DOS formatted disk in the drive it will either eject it or want to intialize it. I have System 7 on the way.

barythrin
December 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Crap it's been a long time since I tried that. I was under the impression they could read 720K disks but not HD PC disks but there were one or two dos utils involved, I thought it had some catchy name like Macindos or disk2dos .. pretty sure it was something2dos unless I'm incorrectly remembering that utility and os version.

Chromedome45
December 3rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
The Macintosh Classic is the name on the front of the unit. Not to be confused with the original Mac. It has 4 MB RAM and a 1.44 MB floppy drive. I think I will try to find the program your talking about.

Chromedome45
December 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I found a great program for doing transfers. It handles floppies, CD's and ZIP disks it's called MacDrive 8. You can download a full function trial version that is good for 5 days after that it's $49.99. I went ahead and got a copy and it seems to be well worth it. (not trying to advertise a product but it does the job!) Oh and I took the Classic back and got a "Color Classic" off EBay for a very good price.

tingo
December 11th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I found a great program for doing transfers. It handles floppies, CD's and ZIP disks it's called MacDrive 8. You can download a full function trial version that is good for 5 days after that it's $49.99. I went ahead and got a copy and it seems to be well worth it. (not trying to advertise a product but it does the job!) Oh and I took the Classic back and got a "Color Classic" off EBay for a very good price.
But there is a note: " Low density (400KB and 800KB) floppy disks are not accessible due to drive limitations"

ChrisRich
December 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
The disk medium isn't the concern.. it's the format that matters. To read a PC formatted disk on a Mac you need software to read it.. I had some Mac<->PC compatibility apps that did this well on the Mac side..

On the PC WinImage should clone disks.. It should support most formats. HQX was BinHex format.. Which was just a hexadecimal conversion so that the resource fork of Mac binaries isn't toasted during a transfer.

If you had actual floppies and wanted a copy with a non-booting mac classic, you could try the XO boot, which will get you running from the hidden XO ROM and then you could use the apple disk copy program to make a copy of the floppies. When you only have one floppy drive, not running the OS from that drive is way easier when cloning disks.. Not all Classics had the XO ROM, as I recall it was just the first few revisions, and then they took it out as it was only intended for testing.

Good luck!

tezza
December 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
I've successfully transferred Mac software from the Internet to my Mac Classic II using a PC program called TransMac. It's not free, but a 15 day trial version can be downloaded from the web.

Tez

bluethunder
December 22nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Another option, if you have terminal software, like claris works, is to send files accross using xmodem.

Its a simple enough cable to build to go from the DB9 to Mini-Din (atleast on my SE its the round serial connector) null modem cable.

I gutted one of those yellow svideo to composite adapters (that come with just about every video card i've bought in the last 8 years) for the mac side, and soldered up a quick null cable.

Chromedome45
December 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The MacDrive 8 software works great for me. I use a SCSI zip drive with the classic and can transfer files back and forth between the PC and the Mac wihout any issues.

digger
October 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Another option, if you have terminal software, like claris works, is to send files accross using xmodem.

Doesn't ClarisWorks support ZMODEM? If so, it would be much more reliable, and faster too.

( By the way, Hi everyone. I haven't posted in the VCForums in a while. ;) )

olePigeon
October 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Once you get System 7, you can install PC Exchange. That should help with moving files between PC and Mac.

BGoins12
October 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Do what I did! Get a decent internet capable Mac with a floppy drive (I got a 5500/250 Power Mac), download what you want off the internet... format the disks as a 800k disk with the high density hole taped over and copy the programs to the disk. Problem solved. Worked for me when I had my Mac Classic. (I miss it, but I'm getting another one.) Sometimes you don't have to use 800k disks... I think System 6+ can read them, but I was always under the impression that System 7+ could only do so.

RickNel
October 29th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I went through all this a few months ago.

See my blog post on this forum about what worked - first the Zmodem solution, then the ZIP solution..

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/entry.php?281-Talking-to-an-autistic-Macintosh-Classic

Rick