PDA

View Full Version : Generic multicart chip on real NES board

linuxlove
November 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Pulled out of one of those Nintendo 64 controller style pirates, I have this generic silicon lump chip marked "6FF1t".
There are 32 pins on the PCB that the lump is mounted on.
the games I can remember on here are Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Contra and a few homebrew games.

Is it at all possible to mount this multicart chip onto a real NES game board and have it work? If so, how?
The games I don't mind ripping up to see if this will work are Ikari Warriors (SNK) and Mach Rider (Nintendo).

per
November 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
The N64 uses a different CPU than the NES, so it will not work. The cartridge you are talking about problably contains code for a NES emulator, and copies of the ROMs may eventually be present in there too; but you can't assume they're presented at a clear modulo 4000h addresses.

carlsson
November 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM
No. What Linuxlove is referring to is a direct-to-TV game which contains a NES-on-a-chip (NOAC) and built into a case that resembles a Nintendo 64 hand controller. As far as I know, there is no way to reuse that chip on a regular NES or other system, unless you find a way to bypass the whole system and let the cartridge run the whole business. Then again, why would you create something like that if it only does a poor emulation of the host machine?

However there are grey market multicarts, but as per policy we should not speak too much about those things on this forum.

per
November 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
No. What Linuxlove is referring to is a direct-to-TV game which contains a NES-on-a-chip (NOAC) and built into a case that resembles a Nintendo 64 hand controller. As far as I know, there is no way to reuse that chip on a regular NES or other system, unless you find a way to bypass the whole system and let the cartridge run the whole business. Then again, why would you create something like that if it only does a poor emulation of the host machine?

Ok that explains a lot.

It may be possible if the silicon lump is seperate from the actual NES-clone cirquits (not likely), you know the pinout of this lump of silicon, and are able to disable the lockout chip of a real NES (you can always remove the hole thing if you manually wire the reset button, but it's usually enough to just cut pin 4).

arfink
November 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Having done a good deal of work with NOACs and Nintendo NES in general, I can say that extracting an epoxied multicart die isn't going to be worth your time, even if you had the tools to do it properly, which I kinda doubt. If you want to get into depth concerning mappers, wiring, etc. feel free to ask me. I am in the process of designing a NES multicart which is coming along nicely.