View Full Version : touch screen monitor? Or Fantasy?

November 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Hi All.

I need your help! I've just made a bet with someone......I know i'm right but I need to prove it!

About 10 years ago, my workplace was trialling a natty device that would turn any monitor into a touch screen. It was simply a pressure-pad base that you simply sat your monitor on and it basically worked out where you were pressing on the screen by the amount of pressure exerted onto the base.

My friend insists its not possible!!! but i KNOW it existed because I saw it with my own eyes. For all I know, they may still be available but i cant find details of it ANYWHERE!

Does anyone else know about it?


November 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM
getting close - just found an article dated 1995....

"...Another option is Digital Equipment's force-sensing monitor base that uses touches on a standard monitor. This device translates the minute changes in force on the base of the monitor into a position on the screen. This approach has the advantage of being monitor independent. "

cant find anything more though !!


Terry Yager
November 24th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Looks to me like that's all the info you need to win the bet. My vote is in your favor...


November 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
HP had a touchscreen PC in the mid 1980s or so (HP 150.)

There were devices (usually optical, not touch sensitive) that converted a regular monitor to touchscreen as well.

Good luck with the bet!


Terry Yager
November 25th, 2005, 01:02 PM
There's a couple of H/P 150s in my storage area right now. They use an intersecting grid of I/R light to determine where the screen is touched, breaking the light beams. A more recent example of this vintage technology was made in the mid-to-late '90s, by a company called Citadel. (I gave mine, a AMD 5x86 machine, to my friend Mark, cauze I couldn't make the touchscreen work). I recently sold on eBay, a device called "TouchWindow" from InfoMagic, which attaches to the front of any VGA monitor, and turns it into a touchscreen, using a mouse-type driver. Most touchscreens these days use a couple of different technologies. One type is the "electromagnetic", which comes in two flavors: active pen, in which the pen is powered (contains batteries), and passive pen, in which the power comes from the screen itself. These types of screen are pretty much obsolete today, and most touchscreens these days are "resistive" types, which uses a double-layer of resistive film, so that when the screen is touched by anything, the two sheets come into contact with one another. The resistive-base thinggy is a new one on me though, I've never heard of it before now.