PDA

View Full Version : What is this PDS card? Applied Engineering TW6400 (Mac PDS Transwarp card?)

RWallmow
December 23rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
I have this card with very little in the way of markings, has Applied Engineering logo, Copyright 1993 and TW6400 on the card. Its CPU has a glued heat-sink on it, but from the pin-count/layout it looks like a 68040 of some kind.

I THINK I had this in my pimped out Mac IIci back in the day, but I cant swear to that, that IIci went bye-bye LONG ago. I know I had an 68040- 40 or 50mhz accelerator with cache upgrade in it, but I cant swear this was that accelerator.

Anyone have any info? I have tried (virtually) "thumbing" through some mac publications from the early to mid 90's, which is when I assume this thing is from.

*Warning pics are almost 3mb each, not for slow connections*
Pic of front side (http://acrpc.net/DSCN0039.JPG)
Pic of back side (http://acrpc.net/DSCN0040.JPG)

NeXT
December 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Looks like a 68040 upgrade card.

Unknown_K
December 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM
68040 upgrade (33 or 40 mhz) with cache module for the IIci.

RWallmow
December 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Anyone know if this card would need driver/software loaded to opperate? I no longer have any Mac II's to check it out. For that matter anyone with a compatible mac interested in this?

Unknown_K
December 24th, 2010, 08:18 AM
You probably need a control panel for this card to take over from the main CPU (and enable cache).

RWallmow
December 31st, 2010, 02:46 PM
You probably need a control panel for this card to take over from the main CPU (and enable cache).

Well I shipped the TW6400 out to you this morning, I hope you can get a hold of the software for it and make your IIci scream ;-)

EDIT: Also I am quite certain this is 40mhz, it didn't occur to me earlier, but in reviewing the photo, I see there's a 20mhz crystal on the card, so its got to be a multiple of 20. 40mhz seems most likely, though 60mhz and 80mhz wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a 68040, but I think with a model like 6400 that 40mhz is most likely.

Unknown_K
December 31st, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yea, me too since I can only find software for the 030 version so far. I actually have a bunch of different 040 IIci accelerators (Daystar and Mobius I think with and without cache) plus a 128K cache card (original was 32K). Fun to collect them all, and maybe I might find an adapter for my SE/30's someday so I can install them there.

RWallmow
December 31st, 2010, 03:06 PM
This all makes me miss my old pimped out IIci, I had that thing upgraded to the teeth with 64mb ram, the 040/cache upgrade, ~2gb drive (IIRC), Ethernet, video card and I Dremmeled a PERFECT 5.25" opening in the front of the case and installed a smoking fast 4x NEC SCSI CD-ROM (caddy loading even ;-)

What more could a high school kid want back in the day.

Unknown_K
January 1st, 2011, 03:50 AM
My first IIcx computer (same case as a IIci) came with a 5.25" HH hard disk mounted in a special FWB tray sideway in the case. Years later I snagged a 1" SCSI cdrom drive and was thinking of making a hole in the side of the IIcx to mount the CDROM drive and still have room for a 1" SCSI HD on top of that. Just never had the guys to dremel the case and do it (should find a yellowed case to practise on first).

One IIci has a Daystar 040 overclocked to 47mhz and a huge fan on the heatsink (got it that way), its cool what you can do with a IIci.