PDA

View Full Version : Atari 520ST, what o/s came with it ?

ahm
November 30th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I may be acquiring an Atari 520ST and external floppy drive.
I don't know if there will be any software with it, so...
What operating system did the 520ST originally come with?
Where can I get the o/s? Games? Apps for MIDI?
Thanks.

Micom 2000
November 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I may be acquiring an Atari 520ST and external floppy drive.
I don't know if there will be any software with it, so...
What operating system did the 520ST originally come with?
Where can I get the o/s? Games? Apps for MIDI?
Thanks.

The STs came with the OS in ROM. It was called TOS (with a GEM graphics GUI) The STf and later models also had an internal fdd. I believe only the STm and the very early model didn't have an internal drive.
Many 520s also had a single sided fdd, There are also both ss and double- sided ext. fdds. When you get it you'll be able to check out whats inside.
Most owners upgraded to a double-sided fdd early on. You had to physically flip the ss disks over to read the other side. To get the use of the better ST programs one really needs a 1040 or higher RAM.
The ST TOS can read and write to regular msdos DSDD floppies.

There are a plethora of ST sites out there for software and info.

Lawrence

carlsson
December 2nd, 2005, 01:45 AM
You had to physically flip the ss disks over to read the other side.
Uh, I think you refer to 5.25" floppies (possibly for Atari 8-bit, Commodore or something else). As far as I know, all Atari ST used 3.5" disks, either single sided or later double sided as you wrote. I have never heard of anyone successfully flipping a 3.5" disk upside down and inserting it into the drive unless a lot of force is involved.

Micom 2000
December 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
You had to physically flip the ss disks over to read the other side.
Uh, I think you refer to 5.25" floppies (possibly for Atari 8-bit, Commodore or something else). As far as I know, all Atari ST used 3.5" disks, either single sided or later double sided as you wrote. I have never heard of anyone successfully flipping a 3.5" disk upside down and inserting it into the drive unless a lot of force is involved.

OOPS ! You're obviously right of course. My memory banks confused Atari eras. That was on the 8-bits. On the STs the early fdds were single density and the ST fan'zines had to provide 3.5 disks which catered to both SD and DD users for some time. The disks were labelled side 1 and side 2 (some kind of holdover from the 8bit days). I have an ST Format coverdisk #1 Aug. 89 in front of me with the demo prgs listed under Side 1 and Side 2. I guess they did some kind of Block code so that either fdd could read them. Can't recall what year that was finally discontinued. I remember angrily returning to a dealer an external SS fdd he had sold me and he replaced it with the dd model 354. I think the ss model # was 2**.

Lawrence

carlsson
December 5th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I remember reading that the first Macs also had single sided mechanisms while waiting for Sony or whoever manufactured the original drives to start delivering double sided ones. The ST was also quite early into the market, but it should not have been too long until they migrated to only use double sided disks.

Actually, I tried to insert a 3.5" disk upside down to see how far it goes into the drive. On my PC, it stops immediately. Ditto on the internal drive on my Amiga and one of the external drives. The other external drive almost lets it in all the way before it stops, and with just a little bit of force, I could slide it in completely. I rather not do it, because I'm not sure if it would ever get out of the drive again. :)