View Full Version : what is this 80186 card for?

December 2nd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Can anyone give me a clue ? esp , doses it use a standard bus and what is the name of the bus?
the central IC is 80186 .
It's not mine. I find it on the ebay and just plan to buy it.

December 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
I have no clue what that is, But that looks really cool....

December 3rd, 2005, 08:40 AM
It looks like something purpose built to fit another computer. You can pick up dates from the chips... usually they look like 4572, it being week 45 year 72. Somewhere there will be manufacturers marks, often in copper on the PCB.

Identifying the manufacturer will tell you who to go looking for when you want to know what it came out of. The physical size tells me it was not a portable object. The card edge connector tells me it was part of a complex of boards so that says to me that it has a system bus and there would have been other boards. The number of connection edges tells me that the system bus was not a standard. The fact that someone used an 80186 tells me that this is probably a display controller or terminal communications board.

It may have come from an old accounting machine.

It's unusual shape says that it has been made to fit something smallish (for the time). Look for other chip numbers on the bigger 40 pin chips and let us know what they are. Also, look at the chip numbers around the edge of the board as that tells us a big story too. In particular, look at the chip numbers near the card edge connector. I suspect that many chips will be the 74 series devices, if not, they may be the 4000 series.

Vintage is important and labels or manufacturers ID will be important.

December 3rd, 2005, 12:37 PM
I've seen boards like that that go into Work Cells. (large-ish macines that control robotic assembly lines.) I have worked on some work cells before. They used "bubble" memory. I still have a small reel of tape labled "Bubble formatter"


December 3rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
Maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but could it be a VME bus and meant for a passive backplane?