PDA

View Full Version : MAME arcade build

bluethunder
January 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Aquired an old beat to crap arcade game for cheap this summer..

Finally got most of it assembled again, after fixing the wood, painting, and revinyling the interior. Graphics are gonna come later.

The 24" TV is in place now, gives me a 19" vertical for shooters, and over kill for side scrollers.

Now comes the wiring up the joysticks and buttons..

Then I can enjoy a nice game of ms. pacman or donkey kong.

ahm
January 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
All you need now is Puppy Arcade (http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm).

Maverick1978
January 10th, 2011, 07:03 PM
curious - how are you planning on wiring up the controls? Using an I-PAC or similar device, or going the game-pad route?

hargle
January 11th, 2011, 05:35 AM
seems there are a few arcade MAME folks here. This isn't really the place for it (try http://forum.arcadecontrols.com), but I have a cocktail (former galaga) table which I MAMEd a couple years ago.
The very outdated story is here:
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/winterMAME

It now has had a motherboard upgrade, running XP, and I have a U360 and 3 buttons per player.

bluethunder
January 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I figured emulation comes up from time to time in the other forums (apple and CPM for example), that it would be ok to post about vintage arcade emulation here. If its not, please close or delete this thread.. :confused:

To answer the questions posted:

I'm using the Keywiz USB. One attached to the cabinet, taking care of stuff like coin slots, and cabinet buttons. The other is attached to control panel, for joysticks and buttons.

I also have an aimtrak light gun, 3" track ball, and a steering wheel, pedals to install later.

As far as a front end, I looked at the Puppy arcade too.. I settled on the MALA front end on an old xp box.

If this thread isn't killed/locked I'll post some shots of the hardware when its in a presentable state.

hargle
January 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm also a MALA user, as I am using an actual arcade monitor with my machine, I can't use a lot of ultra hi-end FEs that require anything better than 640x480. (i'm also vertical orientation which also limits my choices) I love Mala though-not slagging it in the slightest.

With the U360 sticks (USB) there are 8 button inputs too, so it was an easy matter of simply wiring the buttons straight into the joystick inputs.
P1's inputs control start1, start2, coin slots+credit button (all wired together), and game buttons 1,2 and 3. Easy!

Sounds like you're going to have quite the frankenpanel after you get all those controls hooked up! Have you considered swappable panels so it's not as cluttered?

I see nothing wrong with our thread here, from a moderation perspective, I was just saying that it will be a little lonely since there probably aren't more than a dozen people here who do anything with MAME.

bluethunder
January 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Ah yes, I'm gonna try and get 2 more control panels for it, so I don't have the stupid looking and impossible to use mega console :p One for the track ball, and one for the steering wheel / shiffter.

Thats a nice build on your galaga cocktail. Nice and tidy.

I thought about using the exist monitor in the unit, and although it had no burn in, the colors were off, and it was out of spec. Probably needs a cap kit, and a tune up.

The TV with Svideo does a pretty good simulation of an arcade monitor.

I've played a few rounds of Ms Pacman with the keyboard..

Maverick1978
January 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Do the cap kit... kill the TV!! :) - From what I've seen of before/after cap kits, the wonky colors go away once the new caps are on-board.

I bought controls years ago to wire up a customer 2-player control kit. I was going to start off with a panel that could hook up to the computer via USB, then later build a cabinet to go around it. Then I got an idea for using exchangeable "plates" with pre-wired button configs and ethernet connections hooked to the USB (so hot-swappable in theory).... then got busy, then moved, and now don't have the room for the cabinet I wanted :)