PDA

View Full Version : Serial Terminal

Vlad
December 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
I wasint sure where to post this, but hardware made the most sence.

I have an IBM ThinkPad 380ED I would like to use as a Serial Terminal to a Tower that is running linux. I have no idea how to do this or what software is needed. Right now the Thinkpad has Windows NT (no joke) and some Serial Terminal software that I can't seem to get to work. All I am looking to do is get a command line UNIX Bash prompt on the terminal. And anything else you could do with a serial terminal.

Any help will be great.

-Vlad

Terry Yager
December 2nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
I wasint sure where to post this, but hardware made the most sence.

I have an IBM ThinkPad 380ED I would like to use as a Serial Terminal to a Tower that is running linux. I have no idea how to do this or what software is needed. Right now the Thinkpad has Windows NT (no joke) and some Serial Terminal software that I can't seem to get to work. All I am looking to do is get a command line UNIX Bash prompt on the terminal. And anything else you could do with a serial terminal.

Any help will be great.

-Vlad

Are you using a "null modem" between the two machines?

--T

mbbrutman
December 3rd, 2005, 08:04 AM
Look up null modems ..

Serial comm has always been regarded as a black art, but it is very easy. I'd also nuke the operating system and install an older version of Linux, or better yet, DOS and a good terminal emulator such as Procomm.

Terry Yager
December 3rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Look up null modems ..

Serial comm has always been regarded as a black art, but it is very easy. I'd also nuke the operating system and install an older version of Linux, or better yet, DOS and a good terminal emulator such as Procomm.

Yeah, I know how to do it under CP/M or DOS, but I'm no help with *nix.

--T

Vlad
December 3rd, 2005, 12:49 PM
*Erased*

mbbrutman
December 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
My apologies - I thought you were setting this up as a terminal, and that the Windows NT was just an unpleasant side effect of the way you received the machine. I didn't realize that you view NT was a 'feature'. :-)

Still, you need the null modem cabling. And on the Unix side the machine has to be configured to use a serial port as a TTY, including running getty, mgetty (or a variant) to put a login prompt on the serial port.

I have a PCjr serially connected to my Fedora Core 2 Linux box at work using a null modem setup.

Vlad
December 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry, it was a misunderstanding. The LAPTOP that is to be used as the Terminal has NT. That can be changed if necessary. I thought you ment the Linux tower, Which took me 3 MONTHS to get to where it is.

Sorry

-Vlad

mbbrutman
December 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Which Linux Distro are you using?

In general, you are going to alter /etc/inittab to tell the system to run a getty process on a serial port. My system uses 'agetty', which is a replacement for the standard Unix getty. (It is equivalent.) The line in inittab looks like this:

s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600,4800,2400 ttyS0 vt100

so refers to an id for this service .. it's just a tag.

2345 tells it to run the process when in runlevels 2-5

respawn is an option for init telling it when to run /sbin/agetty

And of course, those other things are the agetty command and the parameters. In this case I have told my machine to respond to connections at 9600,4800, and 2400 bps on my first serial port, and to assume a VT100 type terminal.

I've gotten the bps rate down to 300, but that requires getting source code and recompiling. My poor PCjr running a simple terminal emulator in cartridge BASIC needed to go that slow.

Vlad
December 4th, 2005, 06:33 AM
I am running Ubuntu Linux. and have installed some tty programs.

-Vlad