PDA

View Full Version : Xerox 820-II First Run!

xmechanic
January 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM
First off, thanks to billdeg for mailing me a couple boot disks for my 820-II. They work perfectly, and the 820 actually didn't go up in smoke on startup. Matter of fact it works *very* well. I checked the rigid disc first and although it was partitioned, there were no files on it, so I ran a FMT to freshen up the partitions and exercise the drive a bit. After doing a sysgen and copying the files over from the A: drive, I rebooted and it actually booted from the rigid disc flawlessly. Now to play with the serial transfer and see if I can get some of my CP/M stuff copied over from my Windows box. That is... as soon as I can get my tech assistant to vacate the top of the drive enclosure. :D

UPDATE: As it turns out, the floppy drive is a little less than stable. It's good for about 15 minutes or so until it warms up a bit, and then starts acting weird (maybe why the machine was sidelined to start with), and even though I pulled the drive a couple days ago, checked all connectors, and gave it and the heads a good cleaning, it still won't successfully initialize (format) a floppy disc. It's not a major problem at this point, but I may need to find another drive for it eventually if I can't get it to play nice. In the meantime, I'm transferring my Yaze-AG emulator, Cygwin, and all my CP/M stuff to an older laptop that still has a serial port, so I can eventually transfer some software to the hard disc via the com port and a null modem cable. A little at a time, I guess. :)

linuxlove
January 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Nice cat, nice computer.

saundby
January 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Outstanding!

I'm glad to hear it's working well, hard disk and all.

And those techs sure like to set their own schedule...especially the tricolors!

Rick Ethridge
January 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Very nice. I like the cat too.

billdeg
January 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Good to see another 820-ii in action.

Raven
January 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Pretty machine. The cat was a nice touch in it's case design!

I like the monitor, especially. Monochrome I presume?

xmechanic
January 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yes, it's a mono monitor. Apparently Apple was the leader of the pack for color CRT's in that time period. I think the Apple II that I have was from about the same time period that the Xerox 820's were produced, and it's got an RGB color monitor. The horizontal driver in mine probably needs some of the joints re-soldered since it goes through fits of high pitch squealing periodically when it's warm. Just enough to be annoying. The text is crystal clear though, so just minor stuff. :)