PDA

View Full Version : Unknown card in IIe - how to figure out what it's for?

ablaumeise
January 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I just bought a //e. Arrived not working, I managed to fix the PSU (dead cap), the Disk Drive (stuck rails), the Monitor (broken connector).
No problems there. However, this thing is older than me - I honestly don't know how to operate it beyond running programs from disks.
My Problem: There's a strange card in there. The card is completely encased in some solid plastic stuff, and the only marking is (handwritten): 2154. Slot 4.
I'm just curious what it is. Any suggestions how I can figure out what it does?
Thanks in advance!
-Chris
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6063/dsc00416ri.jpg

Dwight Elvey
January 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hi
One might get a little more idea by what pins are connected.
The fact that it states slot 4 would indicate to me that there
was some I/O function. Maybe something like the SwyftCard
used to enable and disable the built in ROMs.
Dwight

February 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM
Here's one thing to try:
Put it in slot 4 and with the computer at a basic prompt, type in PR#4 or IN#4 and see if that gets any response from the card itself.

david__schmidt
February 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Or:

CALL -151
C400.C4FF
But most likely this is just a dongle of some sort - a form of hardware-based copy protection. The card itself probably doesn't do anything but put something on the bus that some software wants to see before proceeding. is it thick enough to actually have any components on it? It's hard to tell from the picture.

dorkbert
February 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
It's not uncommon during the clone days for cloning companies to encase their entire card in epoxy as a form of copy protection against cloning. (I hope the irony of this is evident to the readers.)