PDA

View Full Version : another sad tale of HP Pavilion PC customer service scalping

libra
December 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
the indians got me.
on Nov 9 i called the 800 line for some warranty repairs. was told a svc
dude would by by tuesday AM. for this promise i had to pay $29 with my M/C. no show, no e-mail, no phone msg, nada.
finally on nov 28 i call the same 800 # and the response to my
inquiry is to ask if i want to buy an extension of the warranty for $150.
after working on the language barrier some more the dude said a svc person would come by in the next 24-48 hrs. same nothing result.
by now i have 0 faith in HP's system of warranty service. and i call
M/C to protest the $29 charge , tell what has already happened and ask for it back. now i have to jump thru their system's hoops.
at least with M/C i am speaking with people whose 1'st language is
english. i feel optimistic of getting a refund. meanwhile the 1-year mark has passed and the warranty has run out.
there is some good that came out of this tho. the problem the tech
decided , based on the symptoms, is that the mother board is faulty.
what was learned was its identifying model number. plus the fact that
it occurs in another dozen or so PC's. this will aid greatly in finding
a replacement.
next time i buy a PC i want to call the service people and find out if
it is possible to talk to them and be understood. this was the biggest
aggravation. not under standing them. plus their follow up e-mail
had no link to fix any errors or report the no-show by the tech fix person.
if the phone call could have been done by e-mail the language
barrier would disappear

Unknown_K
December 5th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Why anybody buys a premade x86 computer these days I do not know (outside of corperate leases).

Vlad
December 5th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I bought a Dell, used it for a month, gave it away and Built my own X86 Intel system. Intel MainBoard breaks, I throw a fit at Intel via E-mail. Hear NOTHING from Intel (Ever) Built a Brand New 64-bit AMD Athlon 64 system. Findout that Mainboard is defective AFTER the warranty is ended. Tower #1 currently pending a new Mainboard. Thats my Oddessey through the years with Tower #1 (The Main Tower.) Don't even get me started on the Server......... Or the Router

-Vlad

Unknown_K
December 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
The first and only x86 I purchased pre made was in 1989 or 1990, it was a new in the box packard bell 286/12 with 40MB HD and a VGA monitor with .39 dotpitch. The reason I purchased it was because I needed a x86 for college. The machine worked perfect while I had it, it was sold in 1991 or 92 so I could build a 386/40 machine from parts I preferred. back then you could build a system cheaper then brand named ones and still resell it 6 months later for about what you paid for it. Rarely does hardware break on me, in most cases I obsolete it and use for a secondary purpose.

Mad-Mike
December 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Most pre-fab's have the same problem, that they are made by a large corporate entity in which every department is detached from another department which is outsourced to second and third parties. How do I know, because I do work for one!

My job consists of being assigned calls for warranty repairs on desktop and laptop computers, and just about every snag I've hit has something to do with the corporate bru-haha that you have to go through. We have tech support in India who are barely legible and read all the crud off of a page, and it's a pain to someone like me who can diagnose a computer, and be 100% sure and 100% correct with my diagnosis, just to have the wrong part sent out again, or have them try and get me t o replace something that does not NEED to be replaced, often being the bottom plastics for a laptop, which often contains the model, serial, and Windows product key! Customers don't want to lose their product key, serial, and so on, that's important stuff. I get sent parts with "special tools" sometimes, and half the time, they are not there. Like they will send out thermal paste with a Processor and some motherboards, but not others, some of them CLEARLY needing the use of thermal paste when installing the CPU. Once in awhile I'll get someone in America, than thank god when that happens, because then things REALLY get moving.

For me, I've never owned a brand new pre-fab, and never could, my tastes are too specialized. I hate towers because I'm a clumsy guy and knock them over easily, plus I hate reaching down to the floor or off to the side to put in a CD/DVD or a floppy diskette. I just use the pencil ridge on top of the keyboard on my GEM during installation of software, and swap disk/disc on the fly without having my hands get farther than an inch from the keyboard. I hate small form factors because they are hard to work with (especially with my huge hands), and you can't fit extra drives in there easily, especially my standard XXX-ROM X2/5.25"/3.5"/ATA HDD setup that I prefer. I don't like PS/2 keyboards because of the jacks, and they don't have Alps keyswitches, and the connector is weaker than that of a 5-pin DIN like on an XT. Mice are nice for graphics, but I prefer a trackball for everything else, and if I get anything cordless, my mouse will probably end up in Safeway somewhere in a brush of absent mindedness. Basically, my kind of computer can only now be made with power tools, lots of paitence, and a can or two of Krylon to neaten it up......an AT Clone with a modern CPU, dual floppies, full size NON-Windoze 98-XP keyboard (those Windoze keys bug the snot out of me as I always hit them when typing, and I prefer CTRL where caps lock is anyway since I never USE CAPS lock), Microspeed Tracball, an LCD 17-19" monitor with every kind of graphical input availible from old RCA composite to DVI, and a V-Amp Pro guitar amp modeler for my recording usage, and TWO printers, an old Dot Matrix for like my work orders and such, and a newer ink jet for work documents. I hate lots of plastic, and prefer my cases steel, and able to be thrown down a stair well and hold shape. I also think beige is a very rockin' color.

Am I stuck in the 80's?......well, I am listening to KEnny Loggins and the Romantics right now....you be the judge

Terry Yager
December 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Me Too!!!

--T

Vlad
December 7th, 2005, 05:15 AM
I too prefer Steel cases over plastic ones. They just break too easy. And the old steel cases of the XT's were next to indestructable. You lean on a plastic case just a little to see something closer, then SNAP, its all over. My tower and the server have Steel cases even though UPS managed to bend the server's case and tear the corner (!) off the box of the server's case came in while shipping.

When I typed this, I was listening to The Who......

-Vlad

carlsson
December 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
That steel > plastic does not only apply to cases, also to interior details as memory sockets and alike (as I've posted before, but this is Rants).