PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff?

ahm
December 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM
If so, what do you have?
And what are you looking for?

Personally, I'm looking for the source code to an old game called "gebaca"
(GEt Back At Corporate America). Apparently, the author no longer has any copies.
I understand it used to be available from the "Unix Toolchest".
Perhaps someone has archived that site?

Thanks.

shattered
May 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
http://yahozna.dyndns.org/computers/software/3b2/blit/gebaca.m.gz

That's the first thing I am going to try running on the emulated 5620 (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?51324-AT-amp-T-3B2-Emulator-Still-working-on-it!/page2) :-)

glitch
May 17th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I do, mostly on PDP-11 hardware but I've recently obtained a copy of System V/386 UNIX with the X10 drivers for the Blit Express (along with a Blit Express). Haven't set that up yet, though I did recap the monitor for the Blit Express and get it going with the DOS demo programs.

Unknown_K
May 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Does Apple A/UX count?

Oh and a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris.

commodorejohn
May 17th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I dabble in it a little (currently got a Sun Blade 2000 that I need to get some software loaded onto, plus a couple HP 9000 workstations - an '040-based 425t and a PA-RISC 712, both of which still need an operating system loaded.)

ClassicHasClass
May 17th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Well, this is quite a gravedig.

But, since we're posting, I like RISC machines with weird architectures and many tend to run Un*xy things.

billdeg
May 17th, 2016, 05:47 PM
I have the at&t Unix pc

SpidersWeb
May 17th, 2016, 08:03 PM
I currently have an IBM RT/135 running AIX, and I have an AT&T 3B2-400 - but I think I have a fault with the HDD controller on the 3B2

NeXT
May 18th, 2016, 12:14 AM
I have a few machines from Sun but my specialty is from Silicon Graphics. I have quite a few of their machines.

Edited: Holy crap this thread is 11 years old! :bigeyes:

afhp
May 18th, 2016, 05:53 AM
I collect the machines that I used to dream of back in time, most of them being unix workstations...
Unfortunately I don't actually use them as much as I'd like to.

Sun Ultra 60, in need of an NVRAM replacement ;
Sun Blade 2000 ;
NeXT slab (non-working)
IBM IntelliStation Power285 (recent acquisition, and I know next to nothing of the hardware or AIX. This is going to be fun)

Someday I'd like to get my hands on SGI stuff like an Indigo or a Crimson, but that's unobtainium around here.

SiliconClassics
May 19th, 2016, 04:11 AM
As a kid I was fascinated with 3D animation and dreamed of having an O2 with Softimage. Now I've got a bunch of SGI and Sun workstations - a deskside Onyx & Crimson, an Indigo, an O2, and I2, an Octane, and a few Indys. Also have a Sparc 10, 20, and IPX. The SGI machines are more interesting, but the Suns are better built. Someday I'd like to make a YouTube retro UNIX pizzabox shootout that compares the Indy to the Sparc20.

pski
May 19th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I collect the Tandy TRS-80 Model 16 and it's decendents the Model 16B and 6000. These machines ran TRS-XENIX which was an adapted version of XENIX for the MC68000 sub-system found in these computers. The 16 and 16B had a 6Mhz CPU and ran TRS-XENIX 1.0, which was mostly Unix v7 but also incorporated some features of Unix System III and BSD Unix, such as the vi editor. The later Tandy 6000 has an 8Mhz CPU and supported TRS-XENIX 3.x which incorporated most of Unix System III functionality.

ScutBoy
May 19th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Sunblade 2000
NeXT Cube and NeXT Slab
Couple of Indys and O2s, Indigo and Indigo2
Sun Voyager and Sparc 20
3B2/310 with a 5620DMD
A/UX and MachTen on some Apple gear

Probably stuff I'm forgetting :)

brassicGamer
June 15th, 2016, 07:02 AM
I find that, because they're workstations, these machines are not sought after. Most people have never seen Sun hardware, let alone used it. Most computer collectors tend to seek out the stuff they used in the past, particularly the hardware they used when they were teenagers or kids. I don't know many people who have fond memories of using a Sun workstation during the summer hols. Maybe some did at their parents' workplace or something but, even then, how much gaming was done? Also, UNIX hardware tends to come from big institutions, governments and multinational tech firms. Without a known use for them in a domestic context, very few employees would ask to take something that was being thrown out, and very few tech departments would offer them. So all this stuff slips under the radar and into the greasy hands of the recyclers.

I ended up with my Sun SPARCstation 5 by accident really. I used Solaris once on a UNIX sysadmin course at uni and was always curious about it. So when I saw a local ad for free Sun hardware, I snapped it up. Also got an Ultra 30 with the Creator 3D card, but it was dead so I had to wave goodbye to that beast. I'm running NeXTSTEP on the SPARCstation for the fun of it, but am considering moving to Solaris and running a Quake server for my retro computing LAN :)

KG7PFS
August 1st, 2016, 07:32 PM
I'm into 8-bit stuff myself, not exactly what most of you are thinking of, but some of you might be shocked to learn how much 8-bit Unix stuff there is.

My favorite is the Tandy Color Computer 3. Not well known because it's predecessor stuck with early 80's hardware through the mid 80's, the CoCo 3 completely blows away the competition (Atari 130XE, Commodore 128, Apple IIc, even the IIgs) because it just happened to use the Microware (not Macintosh) OS-9 operating system. It starts up in disk basic like everything else, but insert a floppy and type DOS and it comes up in an only slightly non-standard Unix. There are utility packages that add more standard Unix commands, lots of applications,and an optional GUI, but what's most amazing, FULL MULTITASKING!!! That's right, five years before a 640k Commodore 128 could even have two GEOS windows open, the 512k CoCo 3 could have up to eight, a GUI as good as GEOS, and four users at once. Of course pushing it's limits like that slowed it down, but just playing Koronis Rift while downloading from Compuserve at the same time, while someone else copied a spreadsheet to the Model 200 was pretty amazing.

Today, the HD6309 CPU and NitrOS-9 OS upgrades make it much faster.

Unix clones and variants are now available for the Apple IIgs, Commodore 64, and probably many others, so if you have trouble finding the 68000 or ARM systems from the good old days, try something that was a little closer to home. There is probably a Unix of some kind for whatever you used to use.:)

Of course, the 65802 and 6809 are not 68000's, but isn't the challenge of pushing the supposed limits a huge part of the fun of retrocomputing?

Chuck(G)
August 1st, 2016, 08:47 PM
But the 8 bit stuff isn't Unix, is it? It's a Unix look-alike.

In other words, if I read off my AT&T SysVR4 tapes, you couldn't compile them for the 6502, could you?

ClassicHasClass
August 2nd, 2016, 09:24 AM
Nope.

glitch
August 2nd, 2016, 10:25 AM
But the 8 bit stuff isn't Unix, is it? It's a Unix look-alike.

In other words, if I read off my AT&T SysVR4 tapes, you couldn't compile them for the 6502, could you?

Do you know where Cromemco CROMIX fits in there? I suspect it's largely a workalike, not API compatible. That'll run on a Z80 or 68K system.

commodorejohn
August 2nd, 2016, 12:09 PM
Do you know where Cromemco CROMIX fits in there? I suspect it's largely a workalike, not API compatible. That'll run on a Z80 or 68K system.
Wikipedia describes it as "Unix-like," so I'd bet you're right.

lowen
August 3rd, 2016, 10:47 AM
There's always Morrow's Micronix, which had a complete enough API-compatibility that the Bourne shell, once compiled, would run ok.

Chuck(G)
August 3rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
There were other 8-bit multiuser systems. From a utility standpoint, I don't think that Unix was a good model for the very small systems, at least not in the business world. We got a whole lot more mileage by simply integrating mutli-user features into our BASIC runtime. When we ported the whole thing to Xenix running on a 6 MHz 80286, we found there was virtually no performance gain over a 5 MHz 8085 version. Given the cost of the extra hardware, that was a little disappointing.

lowen
August 3rd, 2016, 12:44 PM
Frank Durda has written at length about the kluge that was Xenix/286. Xenix/68K, as used on the Lisa and the Tandy 6000, was quite a bit more efficient. The archives of comp.sys.tandy should be consulted......

MP/M worked ok, and there were other good systems for 8bitters that weren't Unix or Unix like, but the smallest efficient Unixlike OSes are possibly best exemplified by Coherent.

I never ran Cromix or Micronix (or for that matter MP/M) so I can't comment on their speed, but I can comment that Xenix/68K on the Tandy 6000 was fairly responsive and had good multiuser performance for the day. But that wasn't an 8-bit OS, either, but 32-bit (while one may argue that the 68000 and 68010 were 16-bit by virtue of the size of the data bus, the OS bittedness is a completely different matter, as the registers and opcodes are 32-bit and in principle the same code could run on the definitely 32-bit 68030).

Of the modern 8 bit CPU's, an ATMega2560 or similar (the ATmega128 especially) should be able to have enough RAM to run a real Unix, at least something in the Seventh Edition (V7) timeframe, or 2.11BSD maybe. SVR4 not likely, but the Seventh Edition is just as much real Unix as SVR4 is. But FreeRTOS or even the Ethernut's NUT/OS is a better choice (NUT/OS runs on ATmega128 AVR hardware).

EDIT: Also there was UZI, UZI180, UZI280, and UZIX for the MSX, all Z80-based. And I mis-stated above that Micronix was able to run the Bourne shell; it was UZIX 2.0 that did that, sorry.

Further EDIT: Apparently all the UZIX and UZI versions have been fused together as 'FUZIX' and it is available at https://github.com/EtchedPixels/FUZIX and it apparently has gone past V7 features into SysIII and SysV territory.

AmigaJules
August 8th, 2016, 03:14 PM
My "holy grail" is an AT&T PC 7300 that I try on-again, off-again to get working. I have all of the AT&T Unix documentation and disks with it.

It has an issue somewhere in the RAM circuitry, based on the diagnostic LEDs. I tried the shotgun approach of replacing all RAM but the error is still there.

Some day when I have time I plan to get one of these and learn to troubleshoot at the circuit level: http://www.bitscope.com/product/

MCbx
August 8th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Nothing intentional, I try to narrow my collection to 8-bit ones, but if it literally comes to my hands, why not?
So I have:
- Sun SPARC 20, awaits diagnosing,
- Sun Ultra1, working, with NVRAM machined and CR2032 installed in it.
- IBM "Power Series 850" in a desktop casing, installed and dual-booted NT4 and OS/2 here. It's like RS/6000
- IBM "ThinkPad 850" notebook (architecture is RS/6000), with WinNT on external SCSI drive (internal 2.5" SCSI hard disk is missing, but I bought ADTX module, just in case),
- Some old SuSE Linux server OS in original box. I don't even remember version.

@AmigaJules
Few years ago I bought 8-channel Saleae clone. I use it rarely, usually when reverse engineering protocols, for diagnostics I still use old good TTL probes. Well, if I had >24 channels maybe I could use it to dump EPROMs in circuit by sniffing the states?

ClassicHasClass
August 9th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Ah, so you've got OS/2 PowerPC. How well does it work on that machine? (Keeping in mind it's a hacky prototype, naturally.)

I have one of the Type 6020 "ThinkPad 800" systems, but it runs AIX, as G-d and possibly IBM intended. ;)

MCbx
August 10th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Works? Better say crashes. It's hard to make it do any simple job without strange errors, a nasty pop-up console with error or just freeze.
In OS/2 for PPC, there is a collection of undocumented, binary-only, unfinished hacks. For example, typical way to dual-boot WinNT is to use ARC. It is not possible to hook OS/2 up into it, so I use just 2 SCSI drives and boot menu. Some time ago while trying not to crash the system wandering on a hard disk I found a boot manager "prototype". This early OS/2 has its boot manager hidden as some EXE in a hidden directory, which of course doesn't work at all because it's something like ARC loader terribly "linked" to executable (not in definition of program linking, more like "I'll recompile it as exe and see will it launch from double-click") which should be probably executed from partition, which does not exist in design used to boot OS/2. Last time I analyzed it 2 years ago, but such things persists in my memory.

AIX in these computers is a really good OS. It has CDE, which is very ergonomic if only screen resolution is big enough, and in fact i18n in AIX has been done much better than Linux (speaking about console level, not GUI yet it's still better than recently open-sourced CDE). It's not visible for English users, but in AIX installed with different language many things have been translated and programs use error codes to avoid problems with troubleshooting multiple language systems.

pkhoury
September 22nd, 2016, 11:08 PM
If so, what do you have?
And what are you looking for?

Yup. Besides early IBM PC's and PS/2s, I collect older Sun workstations. Currently, I have a Sun 2/120, 3/60, 3/50 without the monitor, Sparc 5 and 20, and UltraSPARC 2. I'd love to find another Sun 2, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. I used to have a framebuffer for it and that's long gone. Last I checked, it still boots up.

**EDIT** - Once upon a time, I had an IBM RS/6000 that never worked. Right now, I own 3 of 'em (circa 2002/2003, but not sure if that's still vintage). Also had some older HP PA-RISC workstations, a DEC Multia that I never got around to installing IRIX/VMS on. Once had the chance to acquire a Next workstation and an AT&T UNIX PC, but didn't. Anything vintage and UNIX, I'm interested in.

cb88
December 3rd, 2016, 11:46 AM
I've seen a couple of your guys elsewhere (vintage mac stuff etc..)

I have an sick *cough/sneeze* SE/30 that should run AUX as well as an 040 accelerator for it that I haven't tried yet. A Plus and Powerbook 190.

AT&T Unix PC 3B1 (the enhanced model of the 7300) I have no disks but I do have a floppy disk emulator I intend to use to shelp disks between it and my workstation. I've also had ruminations of building a clone of the ethernet card out of surplus components for it.

I have a fairly vast Sun4c/Sun4m/Sun4d/Sun4u + a T2000 that hosts http://gh0stwriter.net . The complete list would be 2x SS2 one of which works and has a weitek powerup with Redhat 6.2 installed. SparcStation LX with my custom spun gentoo installed from a few years back (derived from Magnus Lindholms work and suggestions), SS5 I think it has NetBSD on it but i haven't booted it in years it is a 70Mhz model. 2x SS10 which are functional but not setup to run at the moment, SS20 + 512MB ram + dual SM81 + extra fans this was also running my gustom gentoo install but it kept crasing when emerging. I'm going to have a go at using pkgcore at some point instead of portage to work around that python exception. 2x SS1000 and an SS1000E none of which boot at the moment I think they all need PSU rebuilds I have one rebuild in progress.

Oh and my Sparcbook 3GX running OpenBSD 4.5... its pretty sweet. I want to 3d print a case similar to it and put something more modern in it with a keyboard like the Powerbook 1400 has.

C128 + 1541UII upgrade (I haven't gotten this working as well as I would like.... interfacing these to newer TVs is a pain), there are supposed to be some almost Unix like operating systems for C64 I might play around with that someday.

I also have a Brother Opus Typewriter, Blue-Chip daisywheel printer (made for C64 which I intend to get working with a serial adapter but haven't had much success), and an ImageWriter II. Also while on non unixy stuff.. I have a Connectix Quikcam B&W model... which works with the Powerbook 190 its pretty neat.

ScutBoy
December 3rd, 2016, 04:45 PM
2x SS1000 and an SS1000E none of which boot at the moment I think they all need PSU rebuilds I have one rebuild in progress.

I'd love to have an SS1000/SS1000E again. That's "one that got away" that I wish I had back...

I still have a bunch of RAM for those if you think you need some.

I _may_ have the software set for the 3B1. I used to herd those back a long time ago. If you need me to dig, let me know.

Chuck(G)
December 3rd, 2016, 07:27 PM
Back in the day, just before SysV, there were a number of "minicomputer-ish" micros based on the 68K. Plexus is one that comes to mind. Anyone have one of those? (Plexus was actually peddling those as alternatives to a VAX!). How about some of the WE minis, say a 3B5? (3B2 doesn't count)

Forgot to mention that there are various ports of Unix to PIC32. Here's one of 4.4BSD (https://github.com/sergev/LiteBSD/wiki) on a PIC32MZ CPU.

m_thompson
December 8th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Yup. Besides early IBM PC's and PS/2s, I collect older Sun workstations. Currently, I have a Sun 2/120, 3/60, 3/50 without the monitor, Sparc 5 and 20, and UltraSPARC 2. I'd love to find another Sun 2, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. I used to have a framebuffer for it and that's long gone. Last I checked, it still boots up.

I also have a Sun 2/120, 2/50, several 3/50, several 3/60, a 3/110, 3/460, 3/470, 4/260, 4/470, SS1000E, SS2000E, lots of IPC, IPC, and LX including RDI luggables made from those motherboards, SPARCbooks, some Voyagers, and a bunch more SPARC servers.

MrArgent
December 10th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I seriously wanna get my hands on a AT&T 3B2 or a UNIX PC someday, myself.

MattisLind
December 11th, 2016, 03:57 AM
Back in the day, just before SysV, there were a number of "minicomputer-ish" micros based on the 68K. Plexus is one that comes to mind. Anyone have one of those?

There were also a few that were based on the Z8000 in the same era. I still have the Zilog S8000/21 that I bought from a defunct company in the mid 80ies. The machine had a broken tape drive and an EPROM with bit rot. But after fixing that it served me well getting mail over uucp and things like that. It ran ZEUS which was System III derivative.

Olivetti also had a machine based on Z8000 and then there were eastern block DDR clones with Z8000. Maybe there were more?

Stone
December 11th, 2016, 05:18 AM
I have The vi User's Handbook in mint condition if anybody's interested in it.

It is the 1st edition Copyright 1984.

http://www.alibris.com/VI-Users-Handbook-AT-T-Bell-Laboratories/book/23809016 (http://www.alibris.com/VI-Users-Handbook-AT-T-Bell-Laboratories/book/23809016)

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/11918051_862113600533872_2033097512_n.jpg

The above pic is not of my copy; as I mentioned the one I have is mint. If you're interested and want a pic of the actual book I will supply one.

Chuckster_in_Jax
December 11th, 2016, 08:48 AM
AT&T 3B2\400
DEC Multia VX40 (166Mhz Alpha)
HP 98561A (9000/310)
HP 98579B (9000/370)
HP 9000/382
HP Apollo 735
HP C240 PA-RISC
HP Visualize C3700
HP Integral PC
IBM PowerServer 220
IBM RS/6000 7009-26 (C10)
IBM RS/6000 7012-380
IBM RS/6000 E20 7024 PowerPC 604 133Mhz Tower
IBM RS/6000 E30 7024 PowerPC 604 133Mhz Tower
IBM RS/6000 F30 7025
IBM RS/6000 7043 (43P-140)
IBM RS/6000 44p Model 7044-170 400MHZ
SAIC Galaxy 1100 Portable Workstation (PA-RISC)
Silicon Graphics Personal Iris
Silicon Graphics Iris Indigo
Silicon Graphics Indy Cyclone
Silicon Graphics Indigo2
Silicon Graphics Octane
Silicon Graphics O2
Sun Ultra 80 Elite 3D

ClassicHasClass
December 11th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Ah, the Galaxy 1100. Nice machine, mil-spec. Mine suffered some physical damage and I was unable to repair it :(

The RDI PrecisionBook I have now satisfies my portable PA-RISC, er, needs.

Chuckster_in_Jax
December 11th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Ah, the Galaxy 1100. Nice machine, mil-spec. Mine suffered some physical damage and I was unable to repair it :(

The RDI PrecisionBook I have now satisfies my portable PA-RISC, er, needs.

That RDI PrecisionBook is a really nice machine too!

The RISC laptop/portables including the IBM RS/6000 860 are rare commodities these days.

m_thompson
December 11th, 2016, 12:01 PM
IBM RS/6000 7043 (43P-140)

That one will run Solaris.

bear
December 11th, 2016, 01:20 PM
That one will run Solaris.

Unlikely. The only supported models are 6015, 6040, 6042, 6050, 6070, and 7248. The 7043's resemblance to the 7248 is only skin-deep, and Solaris can't cope with a PPC604e at all. If you install the 604e upgrade into a 7248, the kernel crashes pretty much immediately.

firebirdta84
January 2nd, 2017, 11:51 PM
I know I'm late to the party here, but I'll jump in with my collection of UNIX restorations and favorites:

Convergent Technologies MightyFrame
AT&T Unix PC

I'm interested in any and all parts/programs for the above 2 machines, but particularly the MightyFrame, since that seems to be the rarest.

Rarer still seems to be the

Convergent Technologies MiniFrame

If anyone has remaining hardware for the MiniFrame, I'd love to see some.

Best of luck on everyone here with their UNIX Collections and restorations!
-AJ
http://MightyFrame.com

ClassicHasClass
January 3rd, 2017, 03:40 AM
Always found Convergent systems interesting. I just have a Workslate, though.

lowen
January 8th, 2017, 05:01 PM
...Also there was UZI, UZI180, UZI280, and UZIX for the MSX, all Z80-based.

As Paul Harvey would say, in our 'for what it's worth' department, the following:

SMC IO chip identified (FDC37C665GT): configuring
ROM v5.7 Dated: 01 Oct 2014 CPU clock: 16.000MHz
RAM available: 1024kB. From 00000 to FFFFF
ROM shadowed into 1st 32kB

Z80 Series ROM-Resident Debugger V1.06: D-X Designs Pty Ltd 1997
Special P112 Version: Interrupts Supported
Type '?' for help

=
=Z
Loading UZI...
UZI180 version 1.6.2 built Sun Feb 4 21:02:09 CET 2007
Copyright (c) 1998-2002 by H.F.Bower, D.Braun, S.Nitschke, H.Peraza
1024kB total RAM, 960kB available to processes (15 processes max)
Mounting root fs: OK
init version 0.9

Welcome to UZI180 on /dev/tty1 (Z180)

login: root
Password:

Have fun!

Sun Jan 8 19:46:16 2017
/root # ls
life
makedevs
red
/root # ls /bin
cat
chgrp
chmod
chown
cp
cut
date
dd
df
echo
ed
false
fsck
kill
ll
ln
ls
mkdir
mkfs
mknod
more
mount
msh
mv
passwd
pwd
reboot
rm
rmdir
ssh
su
sync
touch
true
umount
/root #

It's more than a bit gratifying to watch a Unix-clone booting (off of a 1.44MB 3.5 inch HD floppy drive!) on hardware you built yourself, even if it is a kit like the P112. A real joy to build.

pkhoury
January 8th, 2017, 06:10 PM
That's pretty cool. TCP/IP off that floppy too? Reminds me of that nifty QNX demo disk that was released back in the mid 90s (TCP/IP, GUI and all off a single disk).

lowen
January 8th, 2017, 06:28 PM
That's pretty cool. TCP/IP off that floppy too? Reminds me of that nifty QNX demo disk that was released back in the mid 90s (TCP/IP, GUI and all off a single disk).

No, no networking in UZI180. I haven't built fuzix yet, but when it gets networking it will get really interesting. I'm waiting on a D-GIDE from Terry Gulczynski before I attempt a fuzix install.

This is about as old-school feel as you can get, with the only editor in the system being ed. I think I have more binaries built for UZI280, but I don't have my CPU280 fully operational yet.

Actually, I felt a whole lot like I was back on the Tandy 6000 with Xenix. Xenix System III on the T6K (8MHz 68K with 1MB RAM) was about the same speed as the P112 (Z80182 at 16MHz and 1MB RAM), and also text-only.

angrytrilobite
February 1st, 2017, 05:50 AM
Hello,

I just signed up to ask about a laptop I found in a box. It is a Tadpole Sparcbook 3gx. It does not have a battery or hard drive. I also found a battery charger (empty) and a Series 3 User manual. Is this thing worth anything or useful to anybody? It is heavy duty and looks like it was not used very much. I am doing an office clean-out and trying to determine if I should just recycle it with the old NT machines. Thanks.35835

Juror22
February 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I'm not a Sparc fanatic (more into HPUX and AIX machines), but just getting to a few websites and finding this has a microSparc processor, makes me think that it would be of use to someone here. I found this by accident and I am thinking that you should offer it on the marketplace page to get a wider circulation among those in the know. I would NOT just scrap it. I would pay you a little more than the shipping, packaging, just to save it and like I noted, I'm not into Sparcs, someone that is might be able to do better.

Oh, and if you come across an IBM RISC laptop, I would be VERY interested in that!
Thanks for posting this unique opportunity for the Solaris folks.

commodorejohn
February 7th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Yeah, that's definitely of interest to some people here. You can also ask over on Nekochan (http://forums.nekochan.net/search.php?search_id=unreadposts) where there's a lot of RISC Unix nerds.

ClassicHasClass
February 7th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Definitely don't junk it. If I didn't have a couple SPARC laptops already I'd make an offer myself.

angrytrilobite
February 23rd, 2017, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I just also found two Sparcstation10 machines, GDM-1962B displays, keyboards/mice, and cables. Damn those displays are heavy. Where would I list them to find a home. My dock full of old stuff is getting picked up on Tuesday the 28th.3645736458364593646036461

GanjaTron
July 18th, 2018, 04:52 PM
This thread seems to be idle, but I'll give it a shot... Somebody here mentioned owning an SGI Crimson: any idea where I can get a spare GE8? Mine died. Kinda makes the whole thing pointless as a server... :(

Thx for any info,

--GT

itsvince725
July 19th, 2018, 05:55 PM
I have two SGI machines (Indy R5000 and Indigo2 R4400) and a SPARCStation IPC but right now only the Indy works.

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2018, 06:09 PM
I've got the AT&T SysVR4 9-track tapes, if anyone's interested. Some of them may have been used to set up UCBerkeley's "Ernie"--I'm not sure.

2icebitn
July 19th, 2018, 09:17 PM
I do not. I do own 2 Indy's and most of an Impact 10000. Anyone need parts?

billdeg
July 23rd, 2018, 06:54 PM
Not sure where you're located but I have a 10000 that runs but has seen better days if you have any repair parts I can use them. I have a lot of spare Indy parts already.
I have been working on an Octane lately, this at the moment is my favorite SGI.

ClassicHasClass
July 24th, 2018, 09:31 AM
It's interesting how beloved the Octanes are. My personal favourite is the Fuel (and the Indy purely for nostalgia, since I actually used one back in the day, mostly for a lot of sgidoom), but I'll be the first to acknowledge its deficiencies.

bear
July 24th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I don't know, I find it difficult to like the Octane. It has a lot of capability, sure, but the form factor kind of sucks. I think my favorite is the Indigo.

eeguru
July 24th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Aside from SVR4/386 which runs on several dozen machines I have:

AT&T 3B2/310
AT&T 3B2/400 (x4)
AT&T 3B2/600
AT&T 3B2/1000-80
AT&T PC7300
Tandy TRS-80 Model 16B
Sun Enterprise 3500
Sun Enterprise 420R
Several pizza box and IPC/IPX Suns
Sun Ultra 10

I guess technically the Tandy runs XENIX and the Sun's originally ran SunOS/Solaris derivatives (and still do).

Still looking for a 3B2/500 or 522 to round out the set. As I sort through the 400s, I'll probably sell the extras. Also looking for a nice Alpha machine and any DG Aviion machine.

billdeg
July 24th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I don't know, I find it difficult to like the Octane. It has a lot of capability, sure, but the form factor kind of sucks. I think my favorite is the Indigo.

I do agree that you can't put anything on the Octane without it sliding off, and the on-off switch sucks.

ClassicHasClass
July 24th, 2018, 06:49 PM
The "Un*x" machine I'd really like is a Commodore 900. And then to see if there's some way I can put a terminal server in front of it or something and have it host Secret Weapons of Commodore over a serial port.

Mercurius
July 26th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Yes. I like very much old non-intel UNIX servers/workstation (and different UNIXes). I have Sun Ultra 60, SGI Indy and IBM RS/6000 Model 380 (the two latter need to be resurrected).
And, I don't like that Intel took over everything in this world, including Mac.

I do not. I do own 2 Indy's and most of an Impact 10000. Anyone need parts?

I am searching for Indy power supply because mine looks to be broken... but I think it's hard/expensive to send it from America (I am in Berlin, Germany, EU, sometimes I travel to Zurich and Moscow).

MikeS
July 27th, 2018, 11:58 AM
I'd have thought that someone would mention Cromemco's Cromix UNIX clone (versions for Z80 through 68020) or Cromemco's 'real' 680x0 UNIX versions...

sweetsksu
August 22nd, 2018, 02:42 AM
This is about as old-school feel as you can get, with the only editor in the system being ed. I think I have more binaries built for UZI280, but I don't have my CPU280 fully operational yet.

2icebitn
August 22nd, 2018, 09:38 AM
Not sure where you're located but I have a 10000 that runs but has seen better days if you have any repair parts I can use them. I have a lot of spare Indy parts already.
I have been working on an Octane lately, this at the moment is my favorite SGI.

Just saw this. I'm 15 miles south of Toms River, NJ. If you could tell me what you need Bill, I will earnestly take as much of your money as I can :)

2icebitn
August 22nd, 2018, 09:47 AM
Yes. I like very much old non-intel UNIX servers/workstation (and different UNIXes). I have Sun Ultra 60, SGI Indy and IBM RS/6000 Model 380 (the two latter need to be resurrected).
And, I don't like that Intel took over everything in this world, including Mac.

I am searching for Indy power supply because mine looks to be broken... but I think it's hard/expensive to send it from America (I am in Berlin, Germany, EU, sometimes I travel to Zurich and Moscow).

Man you get around. I was in Zurich when I was 4. I still don't think they want me back. If you think it's more affordable to send it to Moscow or Zurich, we can look into that together.

Maybe they didn't appreciate me calling the place Zur-itch. I'm not exactly itching to go back either ... I did like the blinken light board in the lobby of Bristol Hotel though. Not sure what it was for even, just liked staring at it.

Stone
August 22nd, 2018, 10:01 AM
Just saw this. I'm 15 miles south of Toms River, NJ.

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message.

billdeg
August 22nd, 2018, 10:21 AM
Just saw this. I'm 15 miles south of Toms River, NJ. If you could tell me what you need Bill, I will earnestly take as much of your money as I can :)

I don't need anything at this time. Moved onto other projects for the time being.

lyonadmiral
August 22nd, 2018, 10:54 AM
I've been interested in UNIX for a little while and while I don't have anything in which to really get into it but if I could collect anything I'd like to get my hands on an Apple Network Server with AIX, but I certainly don't have the space in this tiny efficiency apartment and double certainly don't have the money to buy one if I did find one.

EtchedPixels
September 16th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I used to own a DEC5000 series box in 5 floorstanding cabinets, but it had to go when I changed job unfortunately. Prior to that it lived in the admin space of the ISP I worked for. The boss was quite happy to have it there because it looked really impressive to visitors even though the actual ISP was running off a couple of 486 machines and some routers and bits - and which really looked quite boring. The SGI had to go for the same reason. I've still got PA-RISC, Alpha and Sparc boxes.

I also have A/UX for my Mac LCII but it's more of a Linux system although the way A/UX integrates mac look and feel (and many apps) was way ahead of it's time for Unix GUI.

I've got my eyes out for a few Unix systems though. I really want an Altos 8600 or similar (I should be so lucky). I've also got some more modern era but interesting hardware designed for that job, including a Pentium M era bladeserver from the days before virtualisation where you wanted to get as much physical system as you could in one rack. It's a bit tricky to play with because I have to turn most of the other stuff on the rack off or it blows the trip.

For all the 8bit stuff there wasn't a suitable Unix clone so I'm working to fix that with Fuzix.

Alan

ClassicHasClass
September 16th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I also have A/UX for my Mac LCII but it's more of a Linux system

I'm curious what you mean by that statement.

ClassicHasClass
September 16th, 2018, 05:30 PM
I'd like to get my hands on an Apple Network Server with AIX, but I certainly don't have the space in this tiny efficiency apartment and double certainly don't have the money to buy one if I did find one.

At least in my experience, it's been shipping, not purchase price. The ANSes tend to be terrible white elephants because they're the size of a small refrigerator. (I have three, a 500, a 700 and a non-working prototype Shiner.) The 500 was "work for us for the summer and we'll throw that thing in too." The 700 was literally "come and get it." The Shiner was $50 and a pickup in Marin county. They're getting rare enough to have some collector cred, but they were never very common to begin with.

They were pretty great AIX machines in the day, though, I thought. I liked it a lot better than the RS/6000s we had and it has excellent binary compatibility. My experience with AIX on both the RS6Ks and the ANS is why it was succeded by a POWER6 running a more contemporary AIX, which runs www.floodgap.com and gopher.floodgap.com (gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/) now.

I just realized I never posted the rest of the Un*x machines that lurk here. Limiting it to what's set up and/or turned on and not counting Macs running OS X,

Raptor Talos II (8-core/32-thread POWER9)
POWER6 p520 Express
SGI Fuel (900MHz MIPS + V12 DCD)
SGI Indy (with R4600)
AlphaPC 164LX
Apple Network Server 500/"200"
Cobalt RaQ 2 (MIPS)
Solbourne S3000 (SPARC KAP) running OS/MP

RISC laptops:
Sun Ultra-3
RDI UltraBook IIi
RDI PrecisionBook (160MHz) -- practically a carbon copy of the SPARC Books
IBM ThinkPad 860
IBM ThinkPad "800" (Type 6020), still refusing to boot from SCSI

Does the BeBox count? :P

In the honourable mention category is a Mac IIci server running NetBSD and a Q800 running A/UX. The Dreamcast boots Linux sometimes; the Jornada boots NetBSD sometimes.

commodorejohn
September 16th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Does the BeBox count? :P
Nope - despite the worst efforts of the Haiku community, BeOS Ain't Unix ;)

Alphasite
September 18th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I'm curious what you mean by that statement.

I'm also curious as to how you can get A/UX running on an LC II.

mediasponge
September 20th, 2018, 04:34 PM
My IBM 3270 PC AT GX has a NS32016 Opus card that boots ATT SysV Unix. It was for running Valid GED, which traditionally ran on a SCALD station (68000). Later, Compaq forced Valid to port GED onto (3 guesses) the Compaq 386 PCs running SCO Unix.

Off the wall question: Does anybody with a SparcStation have a copy of the flight simulator that was on it? Some guys at Sun created it as a demo, then tried to make a go of it as a company, Artificial Horizons. They didn't last. The scenery packs you could load with that flight sim were outstanding. They were LandSat based.

Al Kossow
September 20th, 2018, 04:39 PM
My IBM 3270 PC AT GX has a NS32016 Opus card that boots ATT SysV Unix. It was for running Valid GED, which traditionally ran on a SCALD station (68000). Later, Compaq forced Valid to port GED onto (3 guesses) the Compaq 386 PCs running SCO Unix.

Off the wall question: Does anybody with a SparcStation have a copy of the flight simulator that was on it? Some guys at Sun created it as a demo, then tried to make a go of it as a company, Artificial Horizons. They didn't last. The scenery packs you could load with that flight sim were outstanding. They were LandSat based.

It was called "Aviator"

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a289271.pdf

mediasponge
September 20th, 2018, 08:44 PM
It was called "Aviator"

Right, it was Aviator. Reference 1 in the PDF bibliography is Artificial Horizons, Inc. They had a bug in the flight sim where you could put the aircraft into a loop, and shutdown the engine. It would continue to loop!

resman
September 20th, 2018, 09:21 PM

One of the engineers who worked on the flight simulator was Curtis Priem, a founder of NVIDIA. He ported it to the first NV chip and used as a demo to show off the capabilities of the NV1. Unfortunately the NV1 used quadratics as its graphic primitive that didn't map the perspective calculation properly and would cause the ground to swell up and "hit" you if you got too low. The simulator would limit how low you could fly to avoid this anomaly.

mediasponge
September 28th, 2018, 01:33 PM
One of the engineers who worked on the flight simulator was Curtis Priem, a founder of NVIDIA. He ported it to the first NV chip and used as a demo to show off the capabilities of the NV1. Unfortunately the NV1 used quadratics as its graphic primitive that didn't map the perspective calculation properly and would cause the ground to swell up and "hit" you if you got too low. The simulator would limit how low you could fly to avoid this anomaly.

That's really silly! Actually, there was a major bug in Aviator on the Sun. A friend at LSI found it. He was in the Air Force Academy, so he knew what he was talking about. He washed out for being too tall. What he found was that they were not accounting for loss of energy when the plane (or a missile) was in a loop. You could literally put the FA-18 into a loop and shut down the engine, and it would continue to loop! He tried to explain it to them, as well as his credentials as a pilot, but they never fixed it AFAIK. Same for the Sidewinder.

The other Unix flight sim we used to run was the one on the SGI systems. In Aviator, we would do combat, and team dogfights. On the SGI what we did was the zoom climb contest. You would take the F-14 up to just below its service ceiling, run it up to max speed, then go vertical. The trick was to come down and land on the airfield dead stick. Supposedly, the SGI flight sim was used as the "mission planner" console on the B-2 flight simulator. Not the actual pilot's controls, but the mission supervisor and planning station.

EtchedPixels
October 27th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I'm also curious as to how you can get A/UX running on an LC II.

Sorry to dissapoint but I have it in the sense of having a set of media etc. Having finally tried to install it even with a real 68040 I still have a set of install media and not much else. It's still running Linux. I shall have to find something else to install A/UX on because I liked A/UX for its UI, even if the internals sucked somewhat.

Unless anyone else knows how to persuade it to install on an LCII with upgraded CPU ?

ClassicHasClass
October 27th, 2018, 07:10 PM
It just won't, on a LC II, which is why we were all surprised. It doesn't support the hardware IIRC. The IIci makes a nice A/UX machine and isn't too hard to come by, though I run it on a clockchipped Q800 and it flies at 40MHz.

netfreak
November 15th, 2018, 04:41 AM
No LCs will run it. No AV Mac will run it either. I've had A/UX on a IIci, Quadra 610 and SE/30. I'd like to find a Quadra 700 to run it again but may settle on my SE/30 which I still have.

Ed Groenenberg
November 20th, 2018, 03:25 AM
My Unix machines are not that old (except maybe the 11/70, which either runs V7, SysIII, or SYS5R1) and are
all Sun Microsystems servers :
- T1000 (2x)
- T2000
-T5220
- X4100 (4x)
- X4200 (1x)
- X4150
- X4600
- U20
- U24 (3x)
- U27
- Sunray II
- Sunray III

Most of these run S10, one runs S8, and one runs windows server 2012.

Schroeder
December 13th, 2018, 06:38 AM
I do have a mixed set of Unix machines. Mainly the ones I used to work with in the past:
HP 9000/300
HP 9000/400
HP 9000/700
DECStation 5000
SUN 3-260
SUN Sparcstation 5
SUN Sparcstation 10
SUN Sparc Classic
SUN Enterprise 220R
IBM RS/6000 F50
IBM RS/6000 C10
IBM RS/6000 220
IBM RS/6000 570
IBM RS/6000 H50
SGI Indy

I like the F50s; did a lot of programming on these.

//Peter

bear
December 13th, 2018, 11:22 PM
I've found the F50 a bit troublesome to keep running.

Schroeder
December 14th, 2018, 01:38 AM
I've found the F50 a bit troublesome to keep running.

Interesting! What did you experience?

I'm asking because I had mine running 24/7 for 20 years and just start it every then and now these days. Would be cool to know what I shall prepare for.

//Peter

bear
December 22nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
multiple PSUs, SMC, processors, RAM... you name it. Never mind the endless parade of disks. Perhaps mine is just haunted.

mpcosta
February 6th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Hi all,
I also have a few assorted machines around...

SGI Indy R4000
Digital MicroVAX 3100/10e
Sun Ultra 1
HP 9000/712
IBM RS/6000 43P-140
IBM 3151 terminal ( currently connected into a Raspberry Pi running Linux ;) )

If my old Amstrad PC1640 HD20 allows, I will try Venix86 on it once I find time for that :P

Miguel

Al Kossow
February 7th, 2019, 08:58 AM
It was called "Aviator"

found my copies.
uploaded to http://bitsavers.org/bits/Sun/aviator

marcopolo
February 8th, 2019, 02:27 AM
Hi,

I currently have:
- SUN Ultra 1, 2, 5, 30