PDA

View Full Version : Getting a parallel ZIP 250 to work (DOS)

Jorg
December 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I'm trying to get a parallel ZIP 250 drive to work on my IBM XT 5160, 640K ram.

So far I have tried all combinations of MS-DOS 5.0 with Guest versions 4.01, 5.4 and 6.0.

I tried removing all drivers except the parallel ones from GUEST.INI. (tried driver 1 and 2 seperate).

I've added the port to the driver line (/PORT=278)

I can't get it to work, guest hangs on 'finding a drive letter for your zip drive....'

(yes, I set LASTDRIVE=G).

Now... don't tell me my machine is not IBM compatible....

tvdog
December 15th, 2005, 05:38 AM
The IBM 5150 has an 8086 (8088?) processor. GUEST.EXE requires at least a 286. To get the required 286 instructions on your machine, upgrade the processor to an NEC V-20 (for an 8088) or V-30 (for an 8086).

Jorg
December 15th, 2005, 09:12 AM
The IBM 5150 has an 8086 (8088?) processor. GUEST.EXE requires at least a 286. To get the required 286 instructions on your machine, upgrade the processor to an NEC V-20 (for an 8088) or V-30 (for an 8086).

Now thats cool, because yesterday I won ebay auction 8734811900 :D

thanks!

(yes, it is a 8088)

Terry Yager
December 15th, 2005, 11:29 AM
The V-20/30 does not understand '286 instructions. A V-40/50 does use 80186 instructions though, but still no '286 codez. I just upgraded my 5155 last week with a V-20 & an 8087 on a 640K mainboard.

--T

Jorg
December 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
The V-20/30 does not understand '286 instructions. A V-40/50 does use 80186 instructions though, but still no '286 codez. I just upgraded my 5155 last week with a V-20 & an 8087 on a 640K mainboard.

--T

Don't spoil my fun... I think you're right...

Terry Yager
December 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey, that's even more fun. The V-20 can run CP/M in native mode.

--T

Jorg
December 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hey, that's even more fun. The V-20 can run CP/M in native mode.

--T

Yes I know- although in this case, I wanted the 8087 (and it came with a V20).

Pff- I remember upgrading my Schneider PC512.. long long ago- I upgraded that with a V30 and replaced the crystal. That was when the machine was new, (1989?).

But yes, I guess I will replace the 8088 in the XT with the V20... I think I have CP/M somewhere.

Terry Yager
December 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM
If ya need, I have a couple different versions of CP/M for the V-20 (you should see it running on my Zeos palmtop).

--T

CP/M User
December 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Ah now I did something simular in my XT with 640k RAM, but this was
using the Imation Superdisk Drive (120Mb). But I used a second
computer, which was a 386SX-16Mhz & a serial connection. From there I
could get a simple Networking program & access the drives from that.

Is that practical for you though - do you have a second machine. Only
trouble is if the Serial Port only runs so fast, the network drives are
somewhat slower (unless you have two computers with two really fast
serial connections.

Alternatively can you take your 286 program & rewrite it with 808x based
instructions - or is it too big?

Terry Yager
December 15th, 2005, 08:45 PM
FWIW, I found an 8-bit floppy controller the other day that can see 2.88Mb drives (I never knew they existed).

--T

Micom 2000
December 16th, 2005, 12:01 AM
The IBM PS/2 m. 56 and 57 came standard with 2.88 FDDs. IIRC so did the NEXT stations. But I imagine you're referring to the 8-bit card.

Lawrence

tvdog
December 16th, 2005, 06:06 AM
The V-20/30 does not understand '286 instructions. A V-40/50 does use 80186 instructions though, but still no '286 codez. I just upgraded my 5155 last week with a V-20 & an 8087 on a 640K mainboard.There are Tandy laptops with V-20 processors which will run Guest.exe, so although the V-20 doesn't have all the 286 instructions, it has enough for the Zip driver. I also know that Guest.exe will not work with an 8086. If it was a 100MB Zip drive, there is an alternate driver that works with 8088 and up, but with a 250MB drive, you are stuck with Iomega.

Terry Yager
December 16th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Lawrence,

Yes, I've seen the drives many times. I even had a ThinkPad 360PE that had one. I've only seen the 2.88 media a few times, and wouldn't have a clue where to buy any today. It's the notion that one might work in an XT that surprizes me.

--T

Terry Yager
December 16th, 2005, 07:29 AM
tvdog,

I have a few of the Tandy laptops here, a 1400HD, 1100FD, 1110HD, and even a CF-150 Business Partner, badged as Panasonic (which built the 1100-series for Tandy). They all run CP/M-80 very nicely.

--T

Jorg
December 16th, 2005, 07:47 AM
There are Tandy laptops with V-20 processors which will run Guest.exe, so although the V-20 doesn't have all the 286 instructions, it has enough for the Zip driver. I also know that Guest.exe will not work with an 8086.

That is interesting.. as said, I just won an auction for a 8087, with a V20 as bonus so I will be able to let you all know in a few days

If it was a 100MB Zip drive, there is an alternate driver that works with 8088 and up, but with a 250MB drive, you are stuck with Iomega.

Yes, the palmzip driver. I tried that but indeed it only works for old ZIP 100's. I wrote the creator but there is no further development.

Jorg
December 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Is that practical for you though - do you have a second machine.

hehe.. hehehehehe hehe sorry I've got tears in my eyes. :D I hope my wife reads this. I have only about 5 running at the moment, the others I had to put in storage under domestic pressure :p

Accessing the storage is not the point though, I already attached the XT to my network- in fact its running a webserver. I just want to use the zip as storage for the webserver, without having to compromise the XT's original setup by putting in IDE disks or the like.
I would like to put some (limited) vintage software archive on it.

Jorg
December 20th, 2005, 07:29 AM
[quote=tvdog]There are Tandy laptops with V-20 processors which will run Guest.exe, so although the V-20 doesn't have all the 286 instructions, it has enough for the Zip driver. I also know that Guest.exe will not work with an 8086.

That is interesting.. as said, I just won an auction for a 8087, with a V20 as bonus so I will be able to let you all know in a few days

*UPDATE*

I can confirm, that on an IBM XT, even with NEC V20, it does NOT work. :(

It really faster though, I can really notice that, with the V20.

(anyone wants a 1982 AMD 8088 CPU?)

*UPDATE2*
Darn, Norton SI went from 1.0 (duh..) to 1.8 ?! What kind of V20 I have???

*UPDATE3*
Ok, 8087 in and working- happy now :)

evildragon
July 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hey guys, hope you don't mind be bringing back this old thread, but I finally managed to hack Guest 5.4 to provide Zip 250 support on an XT class machine, I have tested this and it works... However, it loads differently, and will need Config.sys...

Reminder: This will ONLY work for Printer port versions of the Zip 250, as that is the drive in question.

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/zip250.zip

Put the IOMEGA folder on the root of C:, and if you have stuff and use your config.sys, copy the lines of my config.sys into yours, and put them at the top...

Enjoy!

See for yourself: http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/zip250.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to load GUEST.EXE into Autoexec.bat! This assigns the actual drive letter...

EDIT2: The reason why it wouldn't load un-hacked? Well, easy. This is because guest.exe by default tries to load every driver, and see which one works.. Well, it so happens, that one of the sys files on an XT machine, can crash it. I unloaded ALL drivers, also bypassing guest.ini, and using config.sys instead, and load the one that is required for Parallel port use on a Zip 250 drive, and thus, you get a fully working guest system.. Some of the extra files in the IOMEGA folder are from the older 3.1 Guest, and are left overs that I forgot to delete.. you see, I had been racking my brain on this ALL day today, just to get 150MB extra storage..

mbbrutman
July 24th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Your definition of a hack is a little different than mine. The README file for the DOS drivers on a Zip 100 explicitly say to remove the extra device drivers that do not apply to your installation to get the drivers to load more quickly.

It's interesting to know that some of the drivers (and the autodetection they were attempting to do) are crashing machines, but I don't think this is a 'hack' in the true sense of the work. I was expecting to see a patch for the guest.exe program that fixed a bug, not a work-aound that is documented by the company.

evildragon
July 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Your definition of a hack is a little different than mine. The README file for the DOS drivers on a Zip 100 explicitly say to remove the extra device drivers that do not apply to your installation to get the drivers to load more quickly.

It's interesting to know that some of the drivers (and the autodetection they were attempting to do) are crashing machines, but I don't think this is a 'hack' in the true sense of the work. I was expecting to see a patch for the guest.exe program that fixed a bug, not a work-aound that is documented by the company.
As long as you guys have a working Zip driver, it doesn't really matter which terms I use.. I use the word "hack", as I went about not using guest.ini... I do not believe Iomega allows renaming guest.ini to other things to disable it on purpose.. If they do, then I'm wrong..

But you guys have a working all-set driver now, something that wasn't figured out until now, as to why it wouldn't go through...

EDIT: Sorry if I seem a tad cranky.. It's because I have been racking my brain on what was causing the problem, all day long... I'm quite tired and need my rest now, seeing an XT reboot a hundred times a day is boring..

Jorg
July 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
As long as you guys have a working Zip driver, it doesn't really matter which terms I use.. I use the word "hack", as I went about not using guest.ini... I do not believe Iomega allows renaming guest.ini to other things to disable it on purpose.. If they do, then I'm wrong..

But you guys have a working all-set driver now, something that wasn't figured out until now, as to why it wouldn't go through...
As long as it works, I'm not complaining.. but to be honest I thought I tried this (as far as it is in the readme, as mbbrutman says). But I'll try it again :)
Am I right that you tried this on a PS/2 Model 30?
Because I am trying to get a 5160 XT to work with it.

EDIT: Sorry if I seem a tad cranky.. It's because I have been racking my brain on what was causing the problem, all day long... I'm quite tired and need my rest now, seeing an XT reboot a hundred times a day is boring..
I know THAT feeling... !

evildragon
July 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
As long as it works, I'm not complaining.. but to be honest I thought I tried this (as far as it is in the readme, as mbbrutman says). But I'll try it again :)
Am I right that you tried this on a PS/2 Model 30?
Because I am trying to get a 5160 XT to work with it.

I know THAT feeling... !

I have tested it to work on a Model 25... Mine has the NEC V30 CPU, but I am confident it will still work with an 8086 or V20...

Also, as my 25 is classed as an XT machine, it should be the same and work on yours, as you have the same amount of RAM I do...

If it haults again, let me know where it's getting stuck on you...

mbbrutman
July 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Zips are one of my favorite 'cheats' for putting the equivalent of hard disk storage on an old machine. Guest.exe works on even a PCjr, but it takes up quite a bit of memory on an old machine.

There is a device driver called 'PalmZip' which is much smaller, but works even on DOS 2.1. Unfortunately, PalmZip is very slow with the parallel port access. But for replacing floppies on a system, it's hard to beat. The author of PalmZip asks for something minimal, like $10 to $15 US. Hard to beat.

Jorg
July 25th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I have tested it to work on a Model 25... Mine has the NEC V30 CPU, but I am confident it will still work with an 8086 or V20...

Also, as my 25 is classed as an XT machine, it should be the same and work on yours, as you have the same amount of RAM I do...

Yes, I'll post it here.. at the moment I am lookng for the easiest way to get your zip file to the XT, my current mainboard just supports one floppy so I had to disconnect my 5,25"...

IBMMuseum
July 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Be aware that the parallel port on a PS/2 Model 25 (or any PS/2 actually) was designed to be bidirectional (closer to modern systems), whereas a "standard" parallel port of the XT era will not have the same capabilities. To say "XT class" for the 8086 versions of the Model 25 and 30 is a little bit misleading, because they have enhancements to take them quite a bit above an XT (and were marketed as replacements to the XT). What level of LPT card is Jorg using?

mbbrutman
July 25th, 2007, 07:49 AM
My PCjr has a bi-directional parallel port. If you have the right card on your XT, I can point you at the docs to make it bi-directional too. :-)

It's a great upgrade for using things like Zips and parallel port Ethernet and SCSI adapters on standard parallel ports.

Jorg
July 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Be aware that the parallel port on a PS/2 Model 25 (or any PS/2 actually) was designed to be bidirectional (closer to modern systems), whereas a "standard" parallel port of the XT era will not have the same capabilities. To say "XT class" for the 8086 versions of the Model 25 and 30 is a little bit misleading, because they have enhancements to take them quite a bit above an XT (and were marketed as replacements to the XT). What level of LPT card is Jorg using?

Basically I wanted to try the parallel port that comes with the installed full lenght MDA videoboard. I guess this means they don't come any older....

But now you mention it, I might try some add on cards I have lying around to see if that makes a difference.

evildragon
July 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Jorg, have you been able to use a Zip 100 before? If you can/have, then the Zip 250 should work as far as communications goes..

Jorg
July 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Jorg, have you been able to use a Zip 100 before? If you can/have, then the Zip 250 should work as far as communications goes..

I have a zip 100, but that is IDE...

But back when I fiddled with the 250, I read somewhere that a ZIP100 works with an XT, but a ZIP250 does not. Can't remember why though..

evildragon
July 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
It probably was because of the auto-detection scheme by the default driver crashing the computer, as Zip 250 takes those types of .sys files...

I think the SCSI driver is the one that crasehes an XT..

Oh, and if you need to get more space out of it, you can delete all in the IOMEGA folder, EXCEPT: Guest.exe, ASPIPPM2.SYS, and NIBBLE2.ILM...

Those are the used files..

I think this also works better than having Guest.exe do all the work.. See, the problem with Guest.exe is it's autodetection.. It fails on an XT machine. However, if I load the driver into config.sys, as from Guest.ini, but with debugging information enabled (to aid in what's going on), Guest.exe's only purpose is to assign a drive letter, instead of doing that, AND detecting the drives..

And btw, Guest.exe always says that it's finding a drive letter, even before it started drive detection, so it's status is false..

Jorg
July 25th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Allright, I tried, but it does not work.

It seemed I was already pretty thourough last time, as there were already 5 different driver version (including palmzip) on the harddisk :).

I tested the lpt port- its explicitly reported as: bidirectional: NO.
So that might be the problem.

I found on 8 bit card I can try, and several 16 bit that might work in 8 bit.
But they all got a LOT of jumpers....

Duh.. maybe next weekend..

evildragon
July 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I thought the Nibble mode got around the bidirectional issues..

You could try the Byte.ilm file and edit that into config.sys, but I don't know if that'll work..

I'll need to get my hardware book out and read up on this again...

Jorg
July 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Well, it just says 'NO UNIT DETECTED' too

evildragon
July 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Well, it just says 'NO UNIT DETECTED' too
Hmm, weird.. I'll look up some stuff and see what I can come up with...

Atleast at this point, some "semi-XT-----like an IBM Model 25/30", can handle a Zip 250 now...

I might have to "truly" hack up a driver to work.. But do check a different LPT card if you can, one that is bi-directional...

EDIT: My hardware book does state that Nibble mode allows single-direction ports to take input using the status registers.. It "should" work.. There might be something up with your port, or a conflict... Does the port work at all when a printer is used?

EDIT2: You did put the settings in Config.sys, correct? And did it show the Iomega Fast Parallel Port Interface Manager screen?

EDIT3: I don't think my Model 25's printer port is bi-directional, as I can't run BYTE mode, which would be for bi-directional stuff.. I get a "Adapter Not Present"...

evildragon
July 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Try this one, this is the last possibly one that should work...

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/GUEST.zip

It uses NO config.sys entries, so remove anything my previous one installed to config.sys... This one uses only guest.exe, and loads only the correct driver, alone with the lowest speed setting, making it the most compatible..

The above is also Guest 6.0...

IBMMuseum
July 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
...I might have to "truly" hack up a driver to work...

...EDIT: My hardware book does state that Nibble mode allows single-direction ports to take input using the status registers.. It "should" work.. There might be something up with your port, or a conflict... Does the port work at all when a printer is used?...

...EDIT3: I don't think my Model 25's printer port is bi-directional, as I can't run BYTE mode, which would be for bi-directional stuff.. I get a "Adapter Not Present"...

"Nibble" mode is much slower (and on different signal lines), and the code has to know how to handle the port in those cases. Does the interface itself specify a bi-directional parallel port as required? And trust me, all of the PS/2s had bi-directional parallel ports, to improve the interface and to be able to use IBM's provided "Data Migration Facility": http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/floppy/Data_Migration_Facility.html

evildragon
July 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
"Nibble" mode is much slower (and on different signal lines), and the code has to know how to handle the port in those cases. Does the interface itself specify a bi-directional parallel port as required? And trust me, all of the PS/2s had bi-directional parallel ports, to improve the interface and to be able to use IBM's provided "Data Migration Facility": http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/floppy/Data_Migration_Facility.html
I know nibble is slower, according to my book, it uses the status lines to provide 4-bit data input... The Zip drive's supposed to use that if you don't have bi-directional ports.. Byte.ilm IS to be used if you do, but mine don't work, it just doesn't receive the signal from the Zip drive, wheras on my 286, it does...

Unless somethings wrong with my model 25, I can't get above anything but nibble mode...

I have a newer Model 25 motherboard, so I'll have to test that one.. it's still an 8086 class model...

EDIT: I used mbbrutman's utility, and this is what it came back with.. I also used another utility and it calls my 25's parallel port "4-bit"..

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/standard.jpg

Jorg
July 26th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I swapped the old parallel port (which was NOT on the videocard, as there is CGA in it now) but had an old National? IC on it, and the text (c) 1985.
Replaced it by a more modern looking 8 bit I/O card with SIS chip.
Still non bidirectional though.
Now the driver in config.sys sees the zip drive: ZIP 250 :)

But if I start guest.exe, it hangs forever at 'trying to find a drive letter for your zipdrive'

edit: BTW: I use IBM PC-DOS 3.30

mbbrutman
July 26th, 2007, 05:38 AM
The code for the utility that ED used is copied below - other people should try it on their systems, just to make sure it's not bonkers. (I trust the code, but never say bugs are impossible.)

100 REM Parallel port detection
110 REM Michael Brutman (mbbrutman@yahoo.com), 2002-12-02
120 REM
130 REM Do a few simple tests to see if a parallel port is
140 REM available, and if it is a standard parallel port or
150 REM if it is a bi-directional PS/2 parallel port.
160 REM
170 DEFINT A-Z:REM Declare our variables to be integers.
180 DEF SEG=0: REM Set base segment to 0 so we can look at BIOS areas.
190 REM
200 CLS:PRINT "Scanning up to 4 parallel ports":PRINT
210 FOR L=0 TO 3
220 REM
230 REM Get a port address from the BIOS.
240 P=PEEK(&H408 + (L*2)) + (PEEK(&H408 + (L*2) + 1) * 256)
250 IF P = 0 THEN PRINT "Port number" L "not found.":GOTO 440
260 PRINT "Port" L "found at port address: " HEX$(P)
270 REM
280 REM Put suspected port in output mode
290 I = INP(P + 2):OUT P + 2, ( I AND &HDF )
300 REM Test for presence of port: Test is performed twice
310 OUT P, 174
320 IF INP(P)<>174 THEN PRINT " Parallel port not detected or broken":GOTO 440
330 OUT P, 67
340 IF INP(P)<>67 THEN PRINT " Parallel port not detected or broken":GOTO 440
350 REM
360 REM Try to put the port in PS/2 mode (bi-directional)
370 I = INP(P + 2): OUT P + 2, ( I OR &H20 )
380 OUT P, 75
390 IF INP(P)<>75 THEN PRINT " Port is a PS/2 bi-directional port.":GOTO 440
400 REM Try again with a different value, just in case it is a coincidence.
410 OUT P, 223
420 IF INP(P)<>223 THEN PRINT " Port is a PS/2 bi-directional port.":GOTO 440
430 PRINT "Standard (not PS/2 bi-directional) parallel port found at " HEX$(P)
440 PRINT:NEXT L

The page that describes the parallel port modification to make it bi-directional can be found here:

http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/parallel_port.html

mbbrutman
July 26th, 2007, 05:39 AM
This thread is fairly PC specific, so it is being moved ...

evildragon
July 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I swapped the old parallel port (which was NOT on the videocard, as there is CGA in it now) but had an old National? IC on it, and the text (c) 1985.
Replaced it by a more modern looking 8 bit I/O card with SIS chip.
Still non bidirectional though.
Now the driver in config.sys sees the zip drive: ZIP 250 :)

But if I start guest.exe, it hangs forever at 'trying to find a drive letter for your zipdrive'

edit: BTW: I use IBM PC-DOS 3.30

ahh, guest needs atleast DOS 4 i think..

evildragon
July 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
The page that describes the parallel port modification to make it bi-directional can be found here:
http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/parallel_port.html
I looked at my Model 25's parallel port chips, and non of them have the same IC's you listed...

I will try and get schematics to my mainboard, where if not, i'll just reverse engineer it, and look up datasheets for all the IC's..

Jorg
August 23rd, 2007, 01:54 AM
ahh, guest needs atleast DOS 4 i think..

Now that might be the point, I finally had the chance to try it with dos 5.00- and it works. Too bad, as I'd like to stay with the DOS available at the machines own era.

I'll now try MD-DOS 4.00, MS-DOS 4.01, PCDOS 4.00.

Maybe also MS-DOS 3.3R- anyone know what this R stands for?

Trixter
August 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Now that might be the point, I finally had the chance to try it with dos 5.00- and it works. Too bad, as I'd like to stay with the DOS available at the machines own era.

I'll now try MD-DOS 4.00, MS-DOS 4.01, PCDOS 4.00.

Maybe also MS-DOS 3.3R- anyone know what this R stands for?

The R version was specific to Compaqs, I think... something about being the first version to support extended partitions and partitions larger than 32MB. It might be neat to run it.

Don't run DOS 4.00 -- way too buggy. Don't run 5.0 either, because 6.22 is more complete and refined.

In my opinion, the only DOSes worth running on "everyday workhorse" PC/XT 808x machines are:

PC-DOS or MS-DOS 2.11 - If you don't need hard drive support, since it results in the most free RAM.

PC-DOS or MS-DOS 3.3 - If you need hard disk support

PC-DOS or MS-DOS 6.22 - if you have a 286 or higher

PC DOS 2000 - Is PC DOS 7.1 but with additional Y2K date fixes and some nice utilities included (Stacker, rudimentary anti-virus, functional memory manager, etc.). This is what I run on the machine I used to create 8088 Corruption.

Digital Research/DR DOS 6.x - Most free RAM in the 640K area of any DOS if you have 286 or better

Caldera DOS 7.x - For those who want to Stick It To Microsoft!(tm).

mbbrutman
August 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
I can't say that I agree about DOS 5.0. Functionally it has most of the 'modern' plumbing that a DOS version needs which allows for good device driver and disk partition support. My PCjr is pretty happy with it and all of the strange devices I've tried to run.

The only thing I don't like about DOS 5.0 on an 8088 class system is that it often checks the current drive for the amount of free space available instead of caching it. On a 60MB partition this can take upwards of 10 seconds.

Trixter
August 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
The only thing I don't like about DOS 5.0 on an 8088 class system is that it often checks the current drive for the amount of free space available instead of caching it. On a 60MB partition this can take upwards of 10 seconds.

Unfortunately, all DOS versions (except maybe DR/Caldera) have this problem as well.

Terry Yager
August 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
DOS 3.3R is the OEM version that shipped with my Zenith (laptop) computers. It supports 720K floppies, but still only 32Mb partition size. Compaq's OEM version was 3.31, which did support larger partitions.

--T

Jorg
August 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Don't run DOS 4.00 -- way too buggy. Don't run 5.0 either, because 6.22 is more complete and refined.

Oh, don't worry, I am aware of that. The only reason to try is to to settle the question 'what minimal DOS version does GUEST.EXE need'

I like DOS 3.21, makes me think of my Commodore PC10-III that it came with :)

That had, looking at other threads, an 8 bit IDE controller and drive, by the way..

Update: guest.exe 5.4 also works with pc dos 3.30.
For the moment, only when I'm booting from floppy... (?!?!?)

Jorg
July 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Ok, maybe to conclude this thread for future reference:
(yes, I took my time...)

There are two items.

1) parallel port hardware.
The parallel port of older cards, including the one on the hercules/mono video card, does not work with iomega.sys version 5.2
I swapped the old parallel port replaced it by a more modern looking 8 bit I/O card with SIS chip.
From then, iomega.sys version 5.2 saw the drive.

2) Dos version in combination with GUEST.EXE
I use Guest 5.4
This works as from PC-DOS version 4.00.
3.30 does not work.

If anybody wonders, I did not use PALMZIP, as this does not support the zip250.

Shadow Lord
September 18th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I am necroposting a bit here but what was exactly in the files evildragon posted? The links are dead. I'd be interested in seeing what was done. Or was it that there were no other drivers included so the system only loaded the LPT drivers?

I use a ZIP 250 amongst my 286 and above machines but it would be nice if I could get it going on my 5150 and 5160 as well. Thanks.