PDA

View Full Version : ADTpro - notes from a newbie

1980s_john
January 24th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I used ADT / ADTPro for the first time this weekend (*), I made some notes which may help other beginners.

Installation - I used an XP PC with a built in serial port and a LAN connection. I already had Java installed, I downloaded the Windows zip file from the Sourceforge site and extracted it to a new directory. Then selected the .bat file, and copied a short-cut to the desktop, then changed the icon to the supplied icon file. I haven;t tried running it on a Linux PC.

On my Apple II europlus I have 48k of RAM, Apple floppy disk card in slot 6 and one Disk II, and installed an Apple Super Serial 2 card in slot 4, and used a straight lead to the PC.

I started up ADTPro on the PC, and followed the instructions - amazingly the Apple picked up the connection straight away. I initially tried to bootstrap ADTPro (ProDOS) to the Apple, this failed to boot and I then found in the help that ADTPro (and ProDOS) need an Apple II with 64k of RAM - this could have been made clearer in the instructions earlier. I then bootstrapped ADT DOS, which installed esDOS 3.3 (an improved version of Apple DOS 3.3). On the Apple I ran

INIT HELLO

to format up some floppies, I found I had to use decent branded disks (80 track double sided double density from 3M and Tandy), my old magazine cover disks were no good.

I then saved ADT to a couple of newly formatted floppies.

Google found plenty of .DSK image files, so I downloaded some to the PC. I saved these in a different directly to the default used by ADTPro, so I changed the default. Having changed it once, I found that I couldn't change it again! This was very odd, I'll have another look at this evening - maybe my Java is out of date.

Having copied some .DSK files to the ADTPro directory, I then ran ADT on the Apple and viewed the directory. This gave odd looking filenames, so on the PC I renamed the DSK files to have short all upper case filenames. ADT directory then exactly matched what the PC had. I could then select a DSK file and ADT copied then to a freshly formatted floppy. The speed was amazing, roughly 120s per disk transfer (at 115kbit/s).

I then rebooted the Apple with the new floppy and it worked fine!

In summary I am very impressed with ADT / ADTPro as a free software package, they give easy access to a vast library of software and rate 10 out of 10 for quality.

Regards,
John
note * - I must admit that I have 'owned' my Apple II for about 9 years, and ended up buying a few more with disk drives, none of which worked properly. I bought a Super Serial card and various manuals over the years too. It was only about two weeks ago that I finally sorted out a working one (finding various issues with the machines including PSU, RAM, ROM, keyboard encoder and one TTL chip issue) and got ADT installed (which by this time it had become ADTPro).

david__schmidt
January 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I used ADT / ADTPro for the first time this weekend (*), I made some notes which may help other beginners.
Nice work - well done! I'll address what I can here.

On my Apple II europlus I have 48k of RAM, Apple floppy disk card in slot 6 and one Disk II, and installed an Apple Super Serial 2 card in slot 4, and used a straight lead to the PC.
Those old XP boxes are good to keep around since they have native RS232 ports. Having only 48k on your Apple II is a bit of a novelty, though... more on that later. :-)

I started up ADTPro on the PC, and followed the instructions - amazingly the Apple picked up the connection straight away. I initially tried to bootstrap ADTPro (ProDOS) to the Apple, this failed to boot and I then found in the help that ADTPro (and ProDOS) need an Apple II with 64k of RAM - this could have been made clearer in the instructions earlier.
I put that on the front page, and on the Audio bootstrapping page - but not the serial bootstrapping page, so that's a good suggestion I'll take you up on. There aren't too many Apples that only have 48k any more - just about all got upgraded to 64k - but I do see more Europlus machines thusly equipped. Witness: http://seb.riot.org/appleII/aladt.sml

I found I had to use decent branded disks (80 track double sided double density from 3M and Tandy), my old magazine cover disks were no good.
I've seen a lot of disks from over the years. Of the name brands, Memorex have been the ones that have given me the most trouble. Most of the rest (3M, Maxell, Dysan, Opus, Elephant) have been remarkably stable.

I saved these in a different directly to the default used by ADTPro, so I changed the default. Having changed it once, I found that I couldn't change it again! This was very odd, I'll have another look at this evening - maybe my Java is out of date.
ADTPro will save preferences and pick them back up again from the "current working directory" where you started it from. If you start the ADTPro server the same way all the time, as long as it can write the properties file where it sits, it should pick them up. It shouldn't have to do with the Java verion. If it runs... it should work.

Having copied some .DSK files to the ADTPro directory, I then ran ADT on the Apple and viewed the directory. This gave odd looking filenames, so on the PC I renamed the DSK files to have short all upper case filenames.
Right, if your Apple doesn't have lowercase characters, mixed case file names will look funny!

In summary I am very impressed with ADT / ADTPro as a free software package, they give easy access to a vast library of software and rate 10 out of 10 for quality.
Thanks, and I'm glad you were able to make sense of it all. The title of your post got me a little worried, but you were gentle. I appreciate that. :-)

1980s_john
January 24th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - direct from the ADTpro master no less! I've re-read the ADTpro home page and see I missed wherere it says ADTpro includes an 'Apple (client) component that runs on any Apple II or Apple /// compatible computer with at least 64k of memory'. I think it would help to describe the solution for Apple IIs with 48k (or less?) RAM is to use ADTpro server to bootstrap ADT.

It is nice how ADTpro interworks with ADT. I just had a look at the ADT page: http://adt.berlios.de/. This says ADT also needs an Apple II with 64k, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I do have an Apple Language card, plus a few other 3rd party cards (eg a smart red-coloured Vergecourt RAMEX 128 card). However, I removed all the expansion cards from my machine as part of the troubleshooting to get one up and running. I tried plugging the RAMEX 128 card in, and amazingly it seems to work. I used ADT to copy ADTpro / ProDOS 8 image, and that booted up fine - so I can now choose between ADT and ADTpro clients. Using the SSC, so far I can see a noticeable speed improvement with ADTpro, but ADT 2.4 is pretty fast.

I also have a few Apple IIe machines with various 'issues' - definitely a project for later.

As I wrote earlier, I bought a SSC card years ago as I recognised the value of ADT to bootstrap DOS 3.3 disks. One of my AIIs came with a California Computer Systems 7710 card (basic non-SSC card), I moight give that a try with ADTcc. I also have an Apple IEEE-488 card, I am looking forward to using that with my HP Amigo disk drive to boot ProDOS :-)

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Regards,
John

PS Attempting to boot ProDOS on the AII with 48k gives 'RELOCATION/ CONFIGURATION ERROR' - surprisingly not many hits on Google for this, clearly seems to caused by problem trying to use 16k of RAM above the 48k boundary when it isn't there (or just faulty). Time to find some diagnostic disks to test if I can use the full 128k that RAMEX promises ....

1980s_john
January 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Nice work - well done! I'll address what I can here.
ADTPro will save preferences and pick them back up again from the "current working directory" where you started it from. If you start the ADTPro server the same way all the time, as long as it can write the properties file where it sits, it should pick them up. It shouldn't have to do with the Java verion. If it runs... it should work.

I extracted the .zip contents to C:\Program Files\ADTPro-1.18\

I found in the sub-directory disks\ the file ADTPro.properties, which contains a text file showing the working directory and serial bootstrapping speed. I tried changing the bootstrapping speed (back up from 2400 to 9600), and this change was written to properties file.

On my set up I have changed the working directory to D:\temp\apple ii\dsk images\

When I start ADTPro server, then select File->Change Working Directory, a dialogue box opens with the heading 'Set working directory', with a Java like look and feel. This shows :

Look in: dsk images
File Name: D:\temp\apple ii\dsk images\

If I then click on the drop down button to the right of 'Look in: dsk images' I get a directory browser. I then click on 'apple ii' (ie D:\temp\apple ii\) then click 'Set working directory'. This takes me back to the ADTPro server window, and in the bottom of the window it says 'D:\temp\apple ii'.

However if I exit ADPPro server, the properties file hasn't been updated (although it has a new date and time stamp), and it still contains the line

WorkingDirectory=D\:\\temp\\apple ii\\dsk images\\

ie no change (I suppose I could edit this file by hand if I really needed to change it).

I guess this is a minor bug - sorry. I am willing to provide further info / help with testing a fix etc.

Regards,
John

david__schmidt
January 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hmmm. Could you try with directories that don't have spaces in them?

david__schmidt
January 25th, 2011, 06:16 AM
It is nice how ADTpro interworks with ADT. I just had a look at the ADT page: http://adt.berlios.de/. This says ADT also needs an Apple II with 64k, which doesn't seem to be the case.
That reminds me of this quote from the ADT code:

rwtsmod:
stx $b98a ; IS THERE AN APPLE II TODAY
sty $b92e ; THAT DOESN'T HAVE >=48K RAM?
;(YES)

1980s_john
January 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hmmm. Could you try with directories that don't have spaces in them?
I tested this this evening. ADTPro seems to change directories fine on drive C:, but as soon as I change working directory to drive D: and select a sub-directory, I can no longer change directory or drive. Work around is to shutdown ADTPro server, edit line in properties file to:

WorkingDirectory=C\:\\

then re-start ADTPro and directory can then be changed to required directory (and if this is on C: there is no problem).

Regards,
John