PDA

View Full Version : 688 attack sub

Klee
January 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
This is my favorite game for the Sega Genesis. My Genesis died years ago but I still have all the games .

I just found a copy of this game for the pc and I cant wait to get home and install it . My old game pc is a AMDk6 550mhz , 256 mb ram , BFG FX5200 vid card , 16bit soundblaster ,Epox motherboard , 1.44 mb 1.2mb and a 360k floppy drives as I also use this pc to make floppy disks as needed.

I run Windows 98 SE at 1920x1200 on a IBM 17" crt.

I love that crt , with the super high resolution at only 17" it looks incredible and me being nearsighted and sitting close without my glasses I can't see the pixels unless I really REALLY look hard. Its tough to go back to my 22" at 1680x1050 where the pixels really stand out.

I also have the instruction manual for 688 ATTACK SUB , this game had a short but steep learning curve and its been probably 15-18 years since I played it.

The coolest part of this game is the 3-d wire mesh model of the sub and surrounding area.

The first sub game I played was Silent Service on the Nintendo.

Shadow Lord
January 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
688 was probably one of the BEST looking games of its era. You had to have an EGA monitor to really appreciate it but it was sweet.

luckybob
January 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
call it creapy, but I just picked up a boxed copy from my local thrift store today... Now I DEFIANTLY want to give it a shot. :)

Jorg
January 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I was totally hooked on it (PC), although I tried it initially because of the graphics.
It's just a very nice game. I recently bought Silent Service V- this all originates from 688 attack sub.

Hatta
July 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Great game. This was actually the first game I ever played over a network. Put a couple PCs back to back and connect them with a null modem cable. One is the hunter, the other the hunted. Man that gets tense!

Maverick1978
August 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
I can't say that I've ever really played a sub game, although the detail that went into Sierra's Aces of the Deep was astounding (they actually wrote a 288 page historical overview about subs and their uses)

As for 688, I remember firing it up on the Genesis for a few minutes, but put it down to go back to a platform/action game. I might have to pop it back in for a try.