PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 500 - Help

cassius
December 12th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Ive recently got my Amiga 500 out from the garage and when I try and boot it up I get a constant green and black flashing screen. Was wondering if anyone new what that meant and how to solve the problem? Cheers

marcfrick2112
December 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hello, somewhere on line you should be able to find out exactly what the start-up colors indicate, my mind is blank right now, BUT first thing to try.....
Open up your 500 (take of the RF shield, if it's there) and make sure all the socketed chips are Firmly Seated in thier sockets. You stored it in your garage?!? Not a good idea. The constant change of heat to cold could have helped the chips to wiggle loose. If possible, try to store your 500 somewhere
in your house, where the temp. will be relatively constant
What does the Caps Lock light do on powering on? Make sure floppy and keyboard cables are plugged in firmly too.....best of luck.

Terry Yager
December 16th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I have zero first-hand experience with Amigas, but have seen other computers display similar behavior because of bad memory (which still might be cured by re-seating the chips).

--T

marcfrick2112
December 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Hello, the RAM chips on a 500 are soldered in place. I owned two of them....

But, check the A501 512K RAM expansion, if it is fitted, in the trapdoor. If any
trapdoor expansion (A500, 600, or 1200) is not in right, It can cause all kinds
of problems.

Terry Yager
December 16th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I knew I was out of my league on this one...

--T

marcfrick2112
December 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Hey, no problem. The only way to learn is to ask questions, offer suggestions, etc. Amiga's are complicated beasts, particularly regarding hardware.
If you would want to learn a bit about the Amiga, I recommend checking out Amiga.org, don't have to sign up, just read the 'Amiga Hardware
Issues and Discussion' posts....

Terry Yager
December 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, well I've seen C= 64s behave that way before, and I thought that they might be distantly related...

--T

ahm
December 16th, 2005, 05:48 PM
(I'm just trying to figure out his .sig)

carlsson
December 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Problem: Amiga system will not boot. Screen flashes colors or keyboard lights flash.

You may notice that when you turn on or reset your Amiga a few different colors flash by. These actually mean something. Here you go:

RED Bad ROM
YELLOW CPU Exception Before Bootstrap Code is Loaded
GREEN Bad Chip RAM or Agnus (check seating of Agnus)
BLACK No CPU
WHITE Expansion passed
GREY CPU Passed

Constant white is failure of CPU.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=44523

So, if it flashes in green and black, it probably is RAM or the Agnus chip that is bad, as people previously have said.