PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do with a super computer all to you self

jjzcp
December 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
What would you guys and gals do with a super computer all to you self, and wich one would you want to use? I myself would want to use the Orion multisystem personal supercomputer, but i don't know what i would use it for?

Terry Yager
December 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM
As usual, I'd play with it for 2 hours, then send it into storage forever...

--T

Vlad
December 13th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I would want a Cray X1E (over 2 tons and it takes 65kW to power it, this is one of the heavy weights.) I would use it for floating point calculations and compiling programs with unbelievable speed. (Stuff you usually need a Vector processor for.) Either that or the server Sun Microsystems makes that has 72 Sparc 4 processors and around a terabyte of memory......

-Vlad

P.S.

The Cray X1E at maximum configuration, 64 Liquid Cooled cabnets with 8,192 processors weighing 5,754 pounds, (2.8 tons per case so 184 tons total) Using 65,000 watts at 200-208 VAC. Needlessly to say, this is one of the most powerful, modern Super Computers today. The Processors are 64-bit Cray X1E multi-streaming Vector processors running at 1.13 GHz each. It has 32GB of memory PER processor. This thing has more power than I would know what to do with......

Unknown_K
December 13th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I have no use for that kind of parralel processing.

My dream computer would a couple obscenely fast CPU's and TB's of main ram with 1000's of TB's of online storage that can be accessed at 500MB/Sec. You may ask what I would use this for? browsing every Ebay auction since day 1 to see what things were sold for and what they looked like. Instant video encoding even in HD format. One ultra powerfull DVR setup. having every single file and archive online with room to spare for every machine I have (along with every song in WAV format off of every cd I ever wanted, same with movies) and all cataloged every which way so I can do a web search of the archive and click on the item and it starts to play.

That my freinds is what usefull power and immense storage is about.

Mad-Mike
December 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Hmmmm..... Super Computers.....I like them, but I'd probably just use it as a Server for internet, printing, and file storage....

CP/M User
December 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM
"jjzcp" wrote:

> What would you guys and gals do with a super computer all to you self,
> and wich one would you want to use?

Throw it in the bin?!? No, No. I would want to get one which supports my
powerpoint presentation & use that. I think it would animate my images
as if I were watching telly! ;-)

Which supercomputer would it be, I'm not sure. Would NASA's
supercomputer work? Or is that a bit ol' now?

> I myself would want to use the Orion multisystem personal
> supercomputer, but i don't know what i would use it for?

Maybe you could chuck it into a dumster & take a photo of it - with a
caption below it advising everyone what people are doing with
Supercomputers nowadays.

CP/M User.

Zmatt
December 24th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I like the Cray X1E idea i would use it to find the answer to life the universe and everything else. Oh wait i already know that one!

Terry Yager
December 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I like the Cray X1E idea i would use it to find the answer to life the universe and everything else. Oh wait i already know that one!

42! (Just gotta find the right question...(What is 6*9? ( in base 13?))).

--T

mbbrutman
December 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I've run "hello world" many times on the BlueGene supercomputer. :-)

Vlad
December 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
After talking with you, the BlueGene has the Cray beat MANY times over. Alot. I think your BlueGene has enough power to do anything....

Maybe *gasp* run a Universal Constructor? (if they existed)

-Vlad

:EDIT: Thats what I would do with my Cray (now I think I would rather have the BlueGene) I would try to make a Universal Constructor......

carlsson
December 26th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Although BlueGene is much more recent than most (all?) Crays, I suppose it consumes a lot more energy too when you run all nodes. Was free, unlimited electric energy included in the deal too?

jjzcp
January 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Yes, electricity, and everything you would need is supplied.I also have decided what i would use the Orion MultiSystem personel computer for. I would ( that is if i had the money) hire a team of programmers and get them to make a programm in C that would make a vehicle drive on it's own, then load it on to the Orion. Fainly i would enter the vehicle in the next Darpa grand challange. The reason i would do this is to study the code and biuld my own robot car that would respond to it's environment and make smart decisions. The program i would make would be much smaller and i guess you could say dumber. The reason for this is because when i read an article in Popular Science, a self driving milatary vehicle's program was close to one million lines of code.

Terry Yager
January 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Whaaa...??? All this and free programmerz too? One can only dream...

--T

carlsson
January 4th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Is the Earth Simulator, run by NEC nodes, really made to simulate the Earth? I suppose if one can build the biggest super computer yet, and maintain unlimited number of top skilled programmers and scientists for free, it may be more useful to make a simulation on how the Earth is working and speed up the analysis and conclusions what we humans will put the planet through, than implementing a self-driving vehicle. The latter sounds a bit like something Homer Simpson would dream about, if you excuse me Jizcp.

Zmatt
January 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
you see, the Matrix is coming true!

Vlad
January 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
The NEC "Earth Simulator" Does NOT simulate the earth. It is a massive collection of NEC nodes that are used in the research of the atmosphere, ocean, solid earth, and other biological stuff.

Some info on the ES:
640 Processor nodes using vector-type math processors
A total of 5120 processors with a theoretical maximum of 40 TFLOPS
It has 10 TB of Memory
Its operating system is a special version of SUPER-UX
SUPER-UX is NEC's Unix based OS
Its in Japan

Thats all I really remember....

-Vlad

mbbrutman
January 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Yes, these things are power hogs. Each rack of BlueGene takes about 25 kilowatts of power. Lawrence Livermore National Labs (US) has 64 racks. That doesn't include the file servers and other support computers, air cooling, etc.

That being said, BlueGene has one of the best compute power to power consumed ratios ever. Putting 1024 CPUs (plus other support chips, like DRAM) into a single rack and keeping it air cooled is pretty neat. If you divide it out, that is only 25 watts per CPU.

The BlueGene philosophy was lots of small, low power consumption processors. Each compute node is just a little 32 bit PowerPC based chip. If we had done something using Power IV or better chips, we'd have never been able to keep the power consumption down. (Or be able to cool it either.)

carlsson
January 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
The NEC "Earth Simulator" Does NOT simulate the earth. It is a massive collection of NEC nodes that are used in the research of the atmosphere, ocean, solid earth, and other biological stuff.
Depending on your definition of a simulator, the name is still correct. To me, simulation is the same thing as mimicing, and if a computer makes calculations on mathematical models of the earth to simulate what might happen if we do this or that, it is a simulator.

Vlad
January 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Good Point Carlsson. I see what you mean, I guess it kinda simulates the earth in a way to form all of the calculation on Atmosphere conditions in such.

I stand Corrected :)

-Vlad