PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Performa 6200CD Floppy disk drive needed

Chromedome45
January 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi all, I recently aquired a Mac Performa 6200CD and it has what I think is a bad floppy disk drive. Part number is Sony MPF-52A. It has a 20 pin connector on the back. I tried to use the floppy drive from my dead Color classic and it would not work. Kept wanting to eject the disk. :(

On a different subject.
The Performa has had the Hard drive wiped and all I get is a floppy icon with a question mark. I guess this means it wants an OS. When I tried to use the Network boot disk is how I found out the floppy is bad. Is there any way of creating a bootable Mac OS 7.5.3 or 8CD? Any and all help is appreciated. :p

glitch
January 30th, 2011, 07:36 AM
You can boot from a bootable SCSI device, too, so if you have a SCSI Zip drive, hard disk, MO drive, et c. you can prepare it as bootable from another Mac. As far as a bootable Mac OS 8 CD, yes, you can get them, though I think I only have a copy of 8.1 as a bootable CD.

Chromedome45
January 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I don't have another working MAC hence the reason for a bootable CD.

Raven
January 30th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I have a large number of random 68k, and a smaller number of random PPC Macs laying around. If you want a new FDD I'll send you one at cost of shipping ('cuz we're friends :D). I also have SCSI ZIP100 drives, if you're looking, but those aren't free. :)

In the meantime, you can boot to CD by hitting cmd+opt+C, if memory serves. If I'm wrong then look it up - basically you hold a key combo as you turn the machine on, otherwise it won't do it on it's own.

tingo
January 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Oh, it is different than on newer Mac's? There you just hold down the "C" key on boot, it will then boot from CD.

Chromedome45
January 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I can't seem to be able get a bootable Mac OS CD. I found a couple that were supposed to be restore CD's but they won't boot either. Getting a little annoyed at that "?" icon!!!!!

Chromedome45
January 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Managed to find a boot CD and am now installing Mac OS 8.1. Floppy still seems to be bad though. May have to take you up on your offer there Raven. Try to find the same drive that this one has a Sony MPF-52A. Oh and the boot sequence for this on was Option+Command+Shift+Delete to boot the CD.

njroadfan
January 30th, 2011, 07:01 PM
PowerMacs use a different floppy drive from the 68k units, they do NOT interchange. The early ones "auto inject" units, a machine has one if it simply has a disk slot with no cutouts above or below the drive, these are pretty much all Sony sourced. The later PowerMac "manual inject" units are in machines with the round cutouts above and below the drive. The later drives can come from Sony (good) or Mitsubishi (crap).

Raven
January 31st, 2011, 07:10 AM
I have two 6100 series units, one with a dead motherboard (unfortunately the dead one is a Workgroup Server, the other is just a normal consumer machine.. :/). I'm pretty sure the 6200 would be almost identical *and* have the same drive, so no problems there, I'll just pull the drive from the dead one for ya.

I hate the damn auto-inject drives - they get stuck and that's that for them. A manual is much less prone to failure (I feel like I'm talking about cars for some reason..).

glitch
January 31st, 2011, 07:48 AM
I hate the damn auto-inject drives - they get stuck and that's that for them. A manual is much less prone to failure (I feel like I'm talking about cars for some reason..).

Definitely the biggest problem I've found with auto-inject drives -- every single one I've owned was jammed up when I got it! They do look nice, though, with the square-cut front. I've had good luck with taking them apart, stripping the old lubricant with WD-40, and re-applying white lithium grease. Cycle a diskette you /really/ don't care about in and out using the manual eject lever a dozen or so times.

njroadfan
January 31st, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the 6200 would be almost identical *and* have the same drive, so no problems there, I'll just pull the drive from the dead one for ya.

The 62xx series has nothing to do with the 6100s. The 62xx were Apple cost cutting at its finest, basically a Performa/Quadra 630 with a PPC grafted in. See: http://lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml

Also the Workgroup Server is just a case top, the machine is a standard 6100 with a different software load from the factory.

Raven
February 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Ah cool so I can stick my WGS casetop onto the other and it'll still be legitimate. That makes me feel justified in doing it, thanks! :D I have a DOS card in that box too, it's cool..

As for the 6200, judging by that picture it's just a more compact (almost typed compaq, lol) variety of the same case design, and the FDD should be the same. I could use a picture of the inside if you do decide to take an FDD from me, though.

njroadfan
February 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Ah cool so I can stick my WGS casetop onto the other and it'll still be legitimate. That makes me feel justified in doing it, thanks! :D I have a DOS card in that box too, it's cool..

As for the 6200, judging by that picture it's just a more compact (almost typed compaq, lol) variety of the same case design, and the FDD should be the same. I could use a picture of the inside if you do decide to take an FDD from me, though.

The Performa 630 series case is nothing like the pizza box models. The motherboard slides out the back (there is a handle). Getting at the drives up front is a PITA too.