PDA

View Full Version : Pro-350 disks - can anyone read them? can I get the data out?

mlevin77
January 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have a few 5.25" floppy disks from an old Dec Pro 350; I no longer have a working Pro 350 but I need to get the data off of them. It'll be in DecWrite, but I figure the first step is just to get the files off and worry about converting them later. Does anyone have any idea how I could get them read and the data transferred? Does anyone have a working Pro 350 or compatible machine? I'd pay someone for their time if I could send the disks and get back the files via email for example. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

thank you in advance!

Mike

Lou - N2MIY
January 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Mike,

I have a working Pro350 and could easily read your disks. However, it might be safest if you imaged the disks, and then I recreated the images here to read them. If you have an IBM PC with a 1.2M 5-1/4" floppy drive, you can image the disks with Dave Dunfield's Imagedisk (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm). Then you can send me the .IMD files and I will recreate the RX50s here. Can you do that?

Lou

mlevin77
January 31st, 2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks Lou! I don't have a PC here with floppy drives, but I'll see if I can get hold of one. In the meantime, would you mind if I sent a disk and we see how it works? If it works well and I can't get a PC, then perhaps I could send you the other 3 disks. Thanks!!

Mike

mlevin77
January 31st, 2011, 03:01 AM
Hi Lou, I'm trying to reply to your PM but it's saying your mailbox is full. Thanks for offering to help! I'll send the disks tomorrow. How much would you charge? Also, do you have DecWrite on your Pro? I wonder if it's possible to open the files with DecWrite (if that's the format the files are in, which I think is the case) and extract it to PostScript or .TXT before saving/printing.