PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering- is anybody using IRC?

Jorg
December 17th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Or maybe, who knows, we could do a #VCF channel..

carlsson
December 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I've been on IRC a handful of sessions in my 10+ years Internet life. Once was in a private channel (no, not that kind of private) between me and one more person as we found e-mail was a little slow way to communicate. It was a bit hard for me to understand all the features.

Erik used to have a chat room associated with this forum. Although I was not very interested about it, I checked every once in a while. I believe the action was very slow, which was a reason it was disabled again.

Maybe an IRC channel would work if there was a weekly meet-up session like some other communities have, but if people have something to discuss, I tend to think a forum is better as it will be more lasting and people who are not logged in at the particular moment also can join in later.

Jorg
December 18th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Well, I did not want to suggest it as an alternative to the forum- as you say, having all the things archived is perfect.

I was just wondering about some way of chatting with people that are obviously online as they post at the same time.

I think I missed the chatbox feature when it was around, haven't seen it...

Vlad
December 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I guess a chat room sounds kind of neat....

mbbrutman
December 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I'm using IRC regularly.

The PCjr group at micro-zone.com uses a channel called #PCjr_Reborn on Undernet. It's not very active latey, but it has worked well.

Linux users can use Xchat. On my Windows machines I am using MIRC. Mozilla also has an IRC client.

I'd suggest doing one here as well .. this would be a fun group.

mbbrutman
December 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I'm using IRC regularly.

The PCjr group at micro-zone.com uses a channel called #PCjr_Reborn on Undernet. It's not very active latey, but it has worked well.

Linux users can use Xchat. On my Windows machines I am using MIRC. Mozilla also has an IRC client.

I'd suggest doing one here as well .. this would be a fun group.

Vlad
December 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I'm in there now (12/20/05) under the name Vlad_VCF since Vlad and about every variation possible is taken if someone sees this, I'll be there for a while......

-Vlad

Mad-Mike
December 20th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I used to hang out on #RGVC on Dalnet (Retro-Games-Video-Classic I think it's called) as well as #Captain_N on Gammaforce, as well as had my not-so-successful #Lithium channel before (apparently nobody in the band I was in at the time really wanted to chat via IRC....oh well).

I've not been on IRC for a long time, mIRC's nag screens irritate me, Trillians client don't work so well, and I only use Mozilla in Linux, however, I have been looking for places to hang once in awhile though.

mbbrutman
December 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Vlad and I just did a small chat using IRC. I'd say just pick a network and a Channel name, and hang out there. If somebody comes along, then you've got somebody harrass. If not, then better luck next time.

Undernet seems like a reasonable network, and the channel probably should be #VCF.

As for MIRC, the way to get rid of the nag screen is to register it. :-) My copy is registered.

Vlad
December 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM
sorry the server had to be shut down due to heat problems.....

Check it out. I don't know how long the server will be up (thermal Issues) But I have a VCF Java Chat room running on my server. Don't regester for the chat thingy, I think I got SPAM like 2 seconds after I did.

-Vlad
Scroll down the link is on the bottm left.

Unknown_K
December 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I hang out in #68kmla on Undernet (registered) using the same name I use to post here. That channel is named after the 68K Mac Liberation Army but people talk about all kinds of other machines like SGI, Amiga, etc. If anybody wants to stop by you are welcome and it is active most times of the day.

Vlad
January 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
The Server is back online running on a temp drive.

It can be found at the new url here XXX

Never Mind, temp drive failed. The site and chat room will be down until I can get a brand new drive. Sorry.

-Vlad