PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a boot partition on an Quadra 700

SiliconClassics
February 3rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'd like to install a 4GB SCSI HDD in my Quadra 700, then install MacOS 7 on one 2GB partition and A/UX 3 on the remainder of the drive. Is it possible to do this, and then switch back & forth between the two operating systems by specifying the boot partition in the system preferences?

BTW, I'm aware that A/UX has a "Mac OS 7" mode, but I'd rather have two completely separate partitions because I'm going to install a lot of games & programs and want to retain some order.

Unknown_K
February 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Never tried booting between A/UX and a Mac partition so I don't know. You could use an external drive with a low SCSI ID and just boot from that for A/UX and when you want to use mac OS turn the external drive off and reboot.

SiliconClassics
February 3rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Yes, I was considering an external drive. But I was wondering if it would be possible with one large internal drive, since it would save space, money, and time.

njroadfan
February 4th, 2011, 05:01 AM
No dual booting needed. A/UX uses a "kick start" application under System 7 to get it running since Classic Macs can only boot directly into MacOS. a/UX requires a stub "MacPartition" with a minimal System 7 and the A/UX Startup program, Use the Startup Disk control panel to switch between it and your main System 7 partition.

SiliconClassics
February 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Great. Do you have any recommendation regarding the order of installation? Should I install MacOS 7 first on its own 2GB partition, then install A/UX in the remaining space, or should I install A/UX first?