PDA

View Full Version : Ken OlsEn, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, Dies AT 84

billdeg
February 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20030941-265.html

Fire up your DEC system for an hour today in tribute.

Bill

1ajs
February 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM
sad day for the computing world

mark66j
February 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Here in New England, if you work in anything but the smallest company (or someplace with only young workers) chances are at least one former DEC employee is onboard. (Side note: the Digital credit union is still going strong -- as DEC started to fade out the credit union decided to actively seek new members and is has been one of the fastest growing in the country).

NeXT
February 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I can't help but see this somehow as a bad omen for me in that I just invested in a PDP-11/84 and then the founder of DEC dies shortly after...at the age of 84.

Still, tragic to hear of his passing. He will be missed.

1ajs
February 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2208/tapeb.jpg

ken147
February 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM
my dad worked for DEC in Springfield MA, he met ken olsen a couple times, he said he was a great guy

RSX11M+
February 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure how to feel about finding this. I am surprised not to have heard it in the national evening news. Egypt seems to have pushed everything else aside.

Some of us have bitter tears about where Ken ultimately took the company. But as a man, I've never heard anyone trash him over his integrity.

To him I would say: "The world will never know the debt it owes you for shaping the computing industry. Rest peacefully, for a life well lived."

billdeg
February 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
100 Years from now, when they list the great computer companies of the 20th century, Ditigial Eqipment Corporation will be one of them

Micom 2000
February 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I've wondered many times if "The Soul of a New Machine" was based on him. I think I found an answer many years ago but have forgotten. I remember some years ago in the 90s a Toronto guy I was in contact with bought the contents of one of the DEC warehouses when DEC was taken over. He detailed the move of many trucks up to Toronto in classic comp. At one point he had a website called PDP8.com IIRC.

Lawrence

Lou - N2MIY
February 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
The fellow from Toronto was Robert K. I am afraid that he recently substantially downsized his collection.

"Soul of a New Machine" was about DG, not dec.

My father (and for a much shorter time, my mother) also worked for dec. Sadly dad heard the news in an e-mail from me first.

Lou