PDA

View Full Version : question about 1inch tape

1ajs
February 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
is there a way to identify what programs are on these? so i can reatach the lables that have fallen off i don't have a means to terminal into my h11 atm inless theres a way i can with my ibm laptop??

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1413/h11stuff.jpg

Lou - N2MIY
February 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Do you have the heathkit H10 papertape reader for the H11?

Lou

1ajs
February 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4952664705_730eb41afe_b.jpg

Lou - N2MIY
February 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Yes, you do have an H10, it's the smaller unit to the left of the H11.

You can use your laptop as a TTY if it is old enough to still have a serial port. It seems a lot of newer laptops don't have it any more. It would be a DE9M (9-pin male) on the laptop. Then you need a cable.

Out of the box, the H11 used a screwy connector for the terminal cable. It used a molex style plug instead of the DB25M (25 pin male) that is the right connector for DTE (data terminal equipment, yes the computer and terminal are both supposed to be DTE, only a modem is supposed to be DCE - data communications equipment, which gets the female connector).

I think I see a cable in the picture with the screwy molex connector dangling between the H11 and H10.

Once you get the H11 and H10 going, you could read the tapes in to figure out what they are. I think you've got to study all the H11 manuals and get it going first. When I got mine, I read and studied everything, as if I was the one building the kit from scratch (although it was already built.)

Lou

1ajs
February 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM
i got a ibm t60 i just tossed a st labs r232 pcima cardbus though i do have a comidor pc10 i prolly hook up to it if i have to
or go break into the old paper mill down the road from me and steal a vt100 though that be a pain to lug down off the roof

vrs42
February 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM
> is there a way to identify what programs are on these?
> so i can reatach the lables that have fallen off

It should not be too difficult to identify which labels go with
which tapes, assuming you have the labels, and assuming
that the software is available online. What I'd do is take
the loose label, download a copy of that program onto the
laptop, and dump the first few bytes (after the leader).

Then just look for which of your tapes starts out with
those same bytes, by visual inspection.

Vince

1ajs
February 10th, 2011, 12:35 AM
been told all the strips have part numbers look them up by my father when i mentioned the tapes stickers falling off