PDA

View Full Version : Howto install ATI EGA wonder on IBM AT 5170?

Jorg
December 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I think some of you already have some experience with this- so hopefully with the solution too :).

My 5170 AT has hercules mono graphics (and a mono display). Now as I was able to find an ATI EGA wonder card, and an 5154 IBM monitor, I guess you know what I want...

I set the EGA card to EGA, but still get sync problems on the 5154- no readable text. I also tried to switch the display switch- no result.

An CGA card does work, no problem.

I'm using the card settings from this list:
http://www.uncreativelabs.net/hwinfo/ati.htm

Any ideas?

PS: Ati Ega Wonder model 2, IBM AT 5170-099

Terry Yager
December 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
You've run the setup program to switch the CMOS setting from mono to color? What about the MODE command from DOS?

--T

Jorg
December 26th, 2005, 03:23 PM
You've run the setup program to switch the CMOS setting from mono to color? What about the MODE command from DOS?

--T

Yup I did- but think I solved it. It seems for the 5154 monitor the card has to be configured as RGB, not EGA...

It works now! Off installing Larry in the land of the lounge lizards....

mbbrutman
December 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Explain what you mean by that .. EGA is a form of RGB monitor.

I would think that EGA would be better than RGB. RGB might just give you the standard CGA resoltion, which is 640x200. EGA should give you 640x350.

Mike

Jorg
December 27th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Explain what you mean by that .. EGA is a form of RGB monitor.

I would think that EGA would be better than RGB. RGB might just give you the standard CGA resoltion, which is 640x200. EGA should give you 640x350.
Mike

Well, what I meant is that when I configure the card according this table:
http://www.uncreativelabs.net/hwinfo/ati.htm

and select the EGA settings- I have no readable screen. I see there is something (text), but it is not synced, alike when you select SVGA on a monitor that can only do VGA.

When I configure it according the 'RGB (& Composite)', I get a perfectly readable picture.

But, you might be right, I did not test graphics yet- but then, what do I have to do to get the EGA signal in sync?

Some other things I'm curious about and google doesn't give me:
- what is the exact function of the display switch on the 5170 mainboard? (I switched it because the AT SETUP disk told me so...)

- I couldnt find the frequency ranges of the 5154 monitor. Not sure if it is important- normally I like to know that before testing an unknown videocard/monitor combination...