PDA

View Full Version : How many of these do YOU have?

Kaptain Skitzo
December 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20051224/tc_pcworld/123950

I wonder if they made this as a checklist for collectors?

DimensionDude
December 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Well, of that list of 50, I have 2.

Polaroid SX-70 camera (still functional, film is expensive)

Zip 100 (one each parallel and USB)

Also, we had a Sony Betamax (not the original) and my mom's brand new 1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 had a factory installed 8-track player.

Kent

Terry Yager
December 28th, 2005, 06:51 PM
11, with an additional 10-or-so that I have owned in the past...

--T

Terry Yager
December 28th, 2005, 06:59 PM
my mom's brand new 1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 had a factory installed 8-track player.

Heh! When I was restoring a '71 Electra ragtop in the late '80s, I had to look long and hard to find an original Delco AM/FM/8-track for it. Even harder to find were any tapes that I'd be willing to subject myself to (although crappy tapes were plentiful at the time).

--T

Micom 2000
December 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I still have a factory one in my 81 Chrysler Cordoba. As well as a large collection of cartridges. Works well and you'd be amazed at the number of good tapes out there. From Led Zep to Joe Cocker, to Yusef Lateef , Santana and Bix Beiderbeck. What I'm also looking for is a cassette adaptor cartridge. I also have a unit in the house which can play and record 8-tracks. I only have about 6 of the recordable tapes tho.

L.

Vlad
December 29th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Let's see I have 4 of the items mentioned....

a Palm Pilot
2 Atari's
Playstation 2
Internal Iomega Zip 250 Drive (wish I had another one...)

Although I do have an 8-track player and a mess of 8-tracks, nothing really worth mentioning, other than my Favorite ones, My 2 George Carlin 8-tracks, they ruled.....

I used to have a Zenith Space Command remote, but I lost it a long time ago....
I want a roomba, even though it looks stupid and probably doesint work like it looks.

-Vlad

carlsson
December 29th, 2005, 07:05 AM
The original article including images is at:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,123950,pg,1,00.asp

Some people grunted that neither Macintosh nor Apple II reached the top 50 list. Assuming the distribution of various gadgets was to remain the same, I wonder if either of those could out-do the TRS-80 model 100, Commodore 64 or Timex/Sinclair 1000.

I tried to divide the list into categories. Some items might fall in two or more categories, but this is how I see it:

Computers and video games: 9
PDAs and communicators: 7
Cell and other phones: 6
Audio equipment: 6
Computer peripherals: 5
Video equipment: 4
Other toys: 4
Cameras: 4
Other items: 5 (incl. calculator and remote control)

I get the feeling that PDAs and cell phones are a slight bit over represented on the big list, or maybe each item listed was unique to its time?

EvanK
December 29th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I think that list sucks. If it's the top "gadgets" then why are they including full computer systems? And nowhere do they explain the ranking system.

Micom 2000
December 30th, 2005, 12:53 AM
I agree. The list seems heavily weighted to peddle the marketers vision for the same Zine. Of course the C64, the Atari 2600, and the TRSm100 are highlighted, as well as the failed Newton. This has little to do with their revelence as historic icons but only to give credence to the iPod and PS@ A cheap jive promo for the "new wave" of consumer products.

Let's see how they respond when nano-technology uncovers their sorry ass in the next 10 years. And they don't have a resident "expert".

L.

carlsson
December 30th, 2005, 02:30 AM
The rules? The devices had to be relatively small (no cars or big-screen TVs, for example), and we considered only those items whose digital descendants are covered in PC World (cameras, yes; blenders, no). We rated each gadget on its usefulness, design, degree of innovation, and influence on subsequent gadgets, as well as the ineffable quality we called the "cool factor." Then we tallied the results.
Maybe you need a wider definition of "gadget" than traditionally. I see it as a list of items - inventions - over the last 50 years, ordered by the personal opinions of the magazine staff.

Maybe iPod is a milestone. It may not have been the first MP3 player, but it is made by a huge company who built an online store to buy music to it, and has convinced record companies to participate only a few years after the first big waves of illegal file sharing. These days, even new words are formed based on this product: to "pod" (download music), podcasting etc. PS2 may have been more a product of constant development, although its much complicated vector programming concept may have been a new thinking when it was released and surely caused a lot of grief from software and compiler developers trying to learn how to utilize it.

Of course, a list of 50 gadgets from the past years can not include items we haven't seen yet. Someone else will have to make a new list in 10 years. The Regency TR-1 transistor radio will have fallen out from the list due to age, and so also the Zenith remote control, Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger and Learjet Stereo-8. That gives room for at least five new, revolutionizing gadgets, and maybe some of the other items on the list will have been reevaluated.

CP/M User
December 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
"mobilemaster" wrote:

> I think that list sucks. If it's the top "gadgets" then why are they
> including full computer systems? And nowhere do they explain the
> ranking system.

I agree only because they included the Iomega Zip Drive. Sure they
might of been the originators of the 100Mb Disks, but IMO it was Imation
Superdisk 120Mb which made Iomega's idea more practical by allowing
support for 3.5" disks as well. And even now - I could perhaps take this
drive & use it on computers which don't have Floppy Disk drives.
Everythings USB based - so my parallel port drive should work nicely.

Plus Imation made it easier by making a drive which worked on 386
straight away in DOS!

But yeah, nothing special about this list - I could probably post a complete
list of Musical Artists & Albums which would be more interesting.

CP/M User.

P.S. It's interesting they mention IPOD, when there was certainally many
forerunners to that IPOD & didn't they have a tendency to malfunction
when they were first released (it emitted a toxic gas or something) -
which makes me question this list even further. (If anyone wants me I'll
be in the Rants! ;-)

Terry Yager
December 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Why don't we all come up with our own list? If each of us posts our favorite 5 or 10 gadgets, we might get something going. First, we must agree on a definition of "gadget" tho. I beleive that some items qualify as gadgets, even though they are full-blown computers (like the H/P 95LX or other palm-tops).

--T

CP/M User
December 30th, 2005, 03:29 PM
"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Why don't we all come up with our own list?

Okay excluding Computers here's five of mine (in no particular order):

* Keyboard - for Typing

* Monitor - to visualise survalance.

* Disk Drive & Disks - Storage.

* Dot-Matrix Printer - essential piece of equipment for every computer administrator!

* CPU - er?

Yeah okay, I know, this stuff is used to build-up a computer system!! But these are essential gadgets -which-, without them we'd be playing blind with some mouse based system & without know what we'd be doing as well as storning our 1Mb files onto Tape & cringing at this system when an read error occurs at the last 1Kb of this file! ;-)
But without the CPU we'd have no computer wouldn't we now! ;-)

Okay well the devices I appreciate in particular (including computers & excluding Emulators) is my:

* Amstrad CPC6128 - but all these machines are worth having,

* Atari 7800 - a great console, sadily underrated due to the successful Atari 2600.

* Imations 120Mb Super Disk - why not?!? Simply good for that 3.5" Disk support.

* 5.25" Disk Drive - this was simply great when I was able to use in conjunction with my Amstrad.

* VGA Card - I thought this was very nifty card, sure it's limited to 256 colours, but it pretty much covers what the human eye can use to disquinish, it also tries to be compatable with earlier cards like the CGA & it's just an interesting card to poke into! ;-)

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
December 30th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Ok, my first choice is easy. I'd have to say, the Poqet PC, even though it is as much a PC as it is a gadget. From there on tho, I'll need more time for thought...

--T

Terry Yager
December 30th, 2005, 08:17 PM
If we are talking pure computers < vs.> computer-y gadgets, I'd have to say that *any* model of Kaypro falls into the category.

--T

Blackcube
December 31st, 2005, 06:42 AM
Still own 10 of them with another 8-9 previously owned.

Still miss my Model 100 and Portable Disk Drive.

Zmatt
January 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM
The "gadget" must be able to operate on its own, so listing components to a computer dosen't seem right. I would have to say
*Magnavox odessy-the daddy of all consoles
*Blackberry-first thing that comes to mind when you think PDA
*TRS-80-one of the first sucessful "desktop" computer
*Game Boy-the first sucessful hand held game console
*GPS-most of us would be lost without one

Terry Yager
January 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Magnavox Odessy - Never had one.
Blackberry - Ditto. (Sheila has a Treo).
Trash-80 - Had a few (Still have a 4P).
GameBoy - My kidz have gone thru a few (at my expense, of course).
GPS - Got two of 'em around here now, but I've (so far) resisted the urge to install one on *my* computer (they're Sheila's toys, basically).

--T

Terry Yager
January 1st, 2006, 06:05 PM
Sheila's the real "gadget freak" around here, not me. I think she owns one of everything ever invented by Ron Popeil (although, I would like to have another Pocket Fisherman (I see they're marketing them again).

--T

machine
January 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM
The HP48SX calculator. No longer made, HP sold lots of them. Not the first caluculator of it's power, but definitely one of the best.

The TRS80 model 1. Tandy made lots but eventually lost the initiative to the PC.