PDA

View Full Version : ASCII keyboard?

thefoolonthehill
January 2nd, 2006, 04:40 AM
Anyone know where I can get JUST an ASCII keyboard like used with people who bought the original Apple 1 computer? I don't want any cases, logos. just a plain ASCII keyboard.

my plan:

I will buy a replica 1 when they become avalable again (who knows when!) and I will build a wooden case like the original apple 1, then I will of corse put the replica in the wooden case, and a PC powersupply and some ports on the back for connection to power, video out etc and I will buy a small.. like 4 to 5 inch portable TV and gut it, and put the guts in a small wooden box like the original Apple 1 that Steve brought everywhere to try to sell (if you've ever seen the Pirates of Silicon Valley, you'd know what I'm talking about.).

I think it's a good idea to make a completely "authentic-looking" replica of the Apple 1, except for the computer itself of course.

so if you know where I could get the keyboard, then I'm set.

if you want to get more detailed, I'll give you a keyboard layout I'm looking for.

lower case:

`1234567890-=delete
tab qwertyuiop[]\
caps asdfghjkl;' enter
shift zxcvbnm,../ shift
space (mabey a reset button could go here, I dunno)

uppercase

~!@#$%^&*()_+delete
tab QWERTYUIOP{}|
caps ASDFGHJKL:" enter
shift ZXCVBNM<>? shift
space (reset)

of corse, the reset button will be seperate from the keyboard!

DimensionDude
January 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I can almost help you :)

I have a bunch of new-old-stock keyboards for the Dimension 68000. They're identical to the standard IBM PC keyboards with the Function keys on the left and numeric keypad on the right.

Unfortunately (you knew there'd be a catch, didn't you?), they're so old that the foam in each key has deteriorated. See my post in Hardware under Keyboard Woes for the whole story.

I'm pretty sure that they output ASCII code at 300 baud.

If you want one (and think you can rehabilitate it) you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping.

Kent

thefoolonthehill
January 2nd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I need somthing that I can plug into like a 6 slot chip socket.
I also don't want any cases. I want somthing I can just mount onto the wood case with screws.

DimensionDude
January 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
Ah, authenticity is the key word. Gotcha. :wink:

thefoolonthehill
January 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Oh wait a sec... I thought of an idea

If anyone has any old Apple II (Apple II/II+ only) keyboards laying around, I'll buy one from you.

ahm
January 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
I believe what you're looking for is an early Cherry or Keytronics keyboard.
(I don't have a specific model number, sorry)

thefoolonthehill
January 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Look, I just need somthing that is compadible with the Replica 1/Apple 1

Terry Yager
January 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Oh wait a sec... I thought of an idea

If anyone has any old Apple II (Apple II/II+ only) keyboards laying around, I'll buy one from you.

I should be able to dig one up for ya. Same price as DD's, shipping cost.

--T

thefoolonthehill
January 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Awesome. Thanks! But if you get one, tell me if it has a case, because of corse I plan to screw it directly onto the top panel of the case. *so unergenomic* I know, my dad will be gettin me at that one!

Terry Yager
January 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I think there's a few layin' around loose, and I know there's a couple hundred still in the cases, that I'd have to pull for ya...

--T

thefoolonthehill
January 3rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
OK, but are you ABSOLUTELY sure it's compatible with the Apple 1 / Replica 1 (There's no difference between the two in terms of keyboard input)

EDIT: If you find one, could ya take a photo of it for me?

EDIT EDIT(!): I just noticed you meant that you have a few APPLE II keyboards, not just 3rd party ascii keyboards. Yes that would work. In fact, I'll take the whole Apple II, if you're so inclined lol. I'm just kidding. But it would be cool to hack an Apple II so I could flip a switch and it'd turn into an Apple 1!