PDA

View Full Version : Mac Classic just died

afaiello
February 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM
The other night, my Mac Classic (which had been previously revived with help from VC) was working fine in the bootable ROM by using Command+Option+X+O on startup. I decided to see what Command+Option+R+P would do, so I pressed those keys upon the next startup and now the Mac has the checkerboard screen. I cannot get it to boot normal anymore. I checked the RAM slot and its seated fine and there is no capacitor leakage. It stopped working right after the Command+Option+R+P on startup. Does anybody know how to get her going again?

afaiello
February 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
So I unhooked everything except the motherboard and powered it up and voila, she works. I know the hard drive is stuck and won't turn, but that never gave it a problem before. Anyways, on to the next machine...

glitch
February 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
There's a pretty good chance it's still capacitors, even if you're not seeing visible leakage. Definitely disconnect the power from the frozen hard drive, as that will put unnecessary strain on the power supply.

afaiello
February 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Yes, I also ran the board through the dishwasher as tezza mentioned in another post. The board is quite clean now. Man those capacitors are tiny and they wreak havoc. I wish there was someway to get the drive going, but oh well, it's only a Classic and they're pretty cheap to buy anyways. At least my IBM AT is flawless (knocks on wood). I believe it was Steve Jobs who said "Don't trust a computer that you can't lift" or something similar to that. Well, look who's still standing now without problem haha.