PDA

View Full Version : Digital Equipment Corporation - MicroFiche Underground

RSX11M+
March 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I'm starting this thread in an attempt to bring to the community, access to DEC's documentation, published on MicroFiche.

SUMMARY:

This Underground is being started in the hopes that it will become a collecting point for others out there, like myself, who have original issues of DEC Microfiche sets.

These sets contain incomparable engineering and service details on DEC products. Much of it, unavailable in any other venue, and in danger of being LOST forever.

INTENT:

We are banding together, to transcribe to modern media and methods, the entire scope of knowledge contained in the various DEC MicroFiche sets.

To accomplish this, we will do the following:

Register the fact of our possesion of Dec Microfiche sets with the Underground
Exchange Details of the contents or existence of various sets [whether or not we have them]
Obtain assistance [donations of equipment, software and funds] to accomplish the transcription
Support the output by distributing and hosting it on the internet
Accept requests for documents in the fiche library - to prioritize the transcription process.

APPEAL:

Please - If you are aware of any of these sets, let us know. If you possess one, consider donating or lending it to the Underground for the purposes of keeping it from being lost.

This will be a non-profit endeavor, for the posterity of the computing industry and mankind in general. Let there be no more "Ancient Libraries at Alexandria" - Lost.

P.S. - Feel free to PM me, if you have privacy concerns with your information or contribution.

RSX11M+
March 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM
I will begin by submitting that I have the following:

Blue painted steel lock-box container appx 4"x6"x10" Labeled:

MDS MAINTENANCE DOCUMENTATION SERVICE
ID No. QBUS - 000371
digital

Includes the Booklet:

EK-OOMDS-UG-003

Title: Using Your DIGITAL Microfiche Library

The set appears unused, and complete. A quick scan shows XXDP sheets, Hardware Tech Manuals, User guides IPBs -etc.
The index card is dated 1989.

I need the donation or use of a high quality Microfiche reader, Microfiche Scanner, and software to take images of the documents and output them in PDF form.

The documents contain various Diagrams mixed with TEXT, Source code and Images that will require the ability to perform OCR and editing of the documents to create useful searchable PDFs.

Any form of assistance will be appreciated.

I am aware that there are similar sets for UNIBUS and PDP-10 systems / products.

Lou - N2MIY
March 3rd, 2011, 02:39 AM
I have this set:
Plastic fiche box appx 4"x6"x10" Labeled:

PC Microfiche Kit
ID No. MD-PCKIT
digital, Serial #0125

The set covers PC100 (Rainbow), PC278 (Decmate II), and PC3XX (Pro) Hardware Tech Manuals, User guides IPBs, and same such for contemporary perhiperals (VR201, LK201, printers)
The index card is dated March 1986.

RSX11M+
March 30th, 2011, 06:46 PM
The Undergound is now in possession of a Microfiche Reader.

It's not a "Scanner", so pages have to be transcribed photographically, but it's a start and allows us access to the content. I suppose the first pages that need to be put online are the indexes.

Here's a sample of a Rainbow 100 Tech Manual page 4-7. Clarity is even better than the attachment, which has been resized by posting here.

Once we're a little practiced at it, images should be even better quality and PDFs will probably be OCRd.

RSX11M+
April 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'm posting this for one of our members, who contacted me about the existence of this set in his collection.

I'm taking the liberty of doing this anonymously for him. I will update the post with his identity if he would like me to do so at any point. Until then, only the facts:

Envelope Reads:

AH-BT13A-BE
VAX/VMS V4.0 SRC LST MCRF
cc 1984 Digital Equipment Corporation
[hand written received 1-4-85]
There are 439 individual microfiche in the set. Each fiche has something like 208 page images on it in a array of 12 x 16 pages. Each fiche physically measures 4" x 5.75"
I believe this is a Collection of Source Code Listings for VMS v4.0. If this conjecture is correct, it would have been provided under license to institutions like Universities and significant DEC partner OEMs to fulfill the contractual obligation to disclose source materials, often present in major purchase situations.

For Example:
University of Queensland Computer Museum of I.T. [now defunct] had in their collection of documents, the "KL10 Tender response" which outlined the conditions of sale for that system. In it, DEC acknowledged that the University had license for all source materials and hardware documentation for any system or software provided by DEC. In addition, the University had access to DEC maintenance training and materials, only offered to DEC service personnel.
Eventually, this library would have included sources for RT, RSX, DOS-10, TOPS-10, and VMS in addition to all Hardware Maintenance Documents and Materials. This latter, is more common for our members to possess.

Indeed, the UQ Computer Museum WebSite had complete documentation for RSX and RT, along with many of the hardware documents for PDP-8, PDP-10 and PDP-11 systems available for download.
Thanks to this member for taking the time to recover and secure these, and for contacting us here at the Underground.

He indicates he doesn't have equipment to access them. An increasing number of our members are interested in participating in this capability once we have it.

sejrane
September 2nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
I have four boxes of DEC microfiche, which includes wiring diagrams, hardware manuals, etc. and an Informant II microfiche reader which I am about to dispose of. If interested or need more info, let me know.

RSX11M+
September 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
A private message is on it's way.

RSX11M+
September 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I have four boxes of DEC microfiche, which includes wiring diagrams, hardware manuals, etc. and an Informant II microfiche reader which I am about to dispose of. If interested or need more info, let me know.

Still hoping to hear back from you.

RSX11M+
September 4th, 2011, 09:13 AM
SejRane, I'm trying to find you. I'm guessing you may be related to www.sejrane.com somehow, a one time "Repair, maintenance, and consulting on all DEC PDP computer systems" company.

I have been unable to reach you via PMs here, and am thinking there may be something amiss with your email notifications settings.

If any site admin has access, please try to contact him via his registration email or contact info, to let him know of these attempts to respond to his post.

I would hate to see these documents end up being discarded.

Thank You

RSX11M+
September 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
SejRane, I responded to your PM of Sunday September 4th, but there is no indication you've been back to see it.

Please check your private messages and let me know you've received it. Thank You once again for taking the time to find these a home.

RSX11M+
September 13th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Once again I would request a site admin to please contact Sejrane via his registration email address and let him know there is a PM waiting.

I can find no other means of connecting. :sad3:

RSX11M+
September 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I just sent this PM, and thought the community should be aware.

SejRane,

This afternoon I received your shipment. One carton containing four boxes of Microfiche totaling to a stack equaling some 30 inches.

This is a most generous gift, and we thank you profusely.

We will see to it that this legacy is preserved.

Most Sincerely,

DEC MicroFiche Underground

It will take me some time to catalog this collection, but in a quick scan I see it includes UNIBUS, QBUS, VAX, PDP-11, PDP-8, and PDP-12 elements. Diagnostics, Wirelists, IPBs, Manuals, Module Assemblies, and more.

RSX11M+
September 29th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Just a post to show some of our progress.

One of our members recently requested a copy of a TA11 [TU60] bootstrap from our Fiche set.

The following is what we were able to accomplish:

MD-11-DZTAF-C BOOTSTRAP.2.b.gs.tif (http://96.11.235.30:9080/supplemental/MD-11-DZTAF-C%20BOOTSTRAP.2.b.gs.tif) 2 pages
MD-11-DZTAF-C BOOTSTRAP.2.b.gs.pdf (http://96.11.235.30:9080/supplemental/MD-11-DZTAF-C%20BOOTSTRAP.2.b.gs.pdf) 1 page only

Although we still take too much time to prepare an image of a Fiche document page, we are getting more familiar with what it takes to produce legible output. We are hopeful to begin making complete Fiche Images available online in the coming months.

http://96.11.235.30:9080/supplemental/MD-11-DZTAF-C%20BOOTSTRAP.2.b.gs.png

http://96.11.235.30:9080/supplemental/MD-11-DZTAF-C%20BOOTSTRAP.2.b.gs.tif

Twylo
June 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM
WOW!

This is an absolutely fantastic project.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give my big thumbs-up and kudos. I hope you're still active with it. If you need any kind of monetary donations for equipment or anything, please let me know. I can't contribute very much, but this is something worthy of supporting.

-Twylo

RSX11M+
June 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Thank you for your kind words.

At this time, we are running the effort "on a shoestring" in order to be responsible with donations and resources.

Commercial equipment, in the form of MicroFilm / Fiche Reader - Printer - Scanners are available, but run $2000 ~ $8000 even on the used market. After analysis, it's clear they don't solve enough of the "whole problem" to justify the expenditure (yet). So we've been exchanging ideas with others who've also identified this need, and are in the process of constructing home-made instrumentation.

The following tasks have been identified:

1) Collect Fiches - too often rescued from the trash
2) Clean and recondition Fiches
3) Storage
4) Catalog and publicly list items in the collection
5) Scan and process Fiches into PDF format and offer the final result via the internet
6) Find a "Permanent Repository" for not only the collection, equipment and Fiches, but the output data.

There's a small book to be written on each of these tasks. Just listing them, prompts the imagination to realize how much is required to really preserve and keep these available, permanently.

My particular hope is that a method of scanning "Whole Fiches" into single, very high resolution images will be the key to the most efficient use and distribution of Fiches. To do this, a "large format Scan Camera", made by modifying a desktop scanner, is being considered.

If this is effective, we'll procure or write software to reduce these to PDF more or less automatically with a minimum of human guidance. (more with OCR) Then the software and Whole Fiche Images (WFIs) will be openly distributed to anyone wanting to contribute their time and effort (via the internet).

With so many Fiches here, and "out there"... getting "parallel participation" in a mass forum like the internet is the only practical way to get it all done in my lifetime. (and beyond)

A member is also experimenting by constructing a prototype "Precision Step and Repeat" platform for a reader in an attempt to make another imaging direction possible. This work continues at this time. If successful it will amplify our efforts, but still leaves the other tasks to be accomplished.

So much for the "Status"...

Donations - I would be happy to discuss contributions of any kind, with anyone who would care to PM me. Potential benefactors will be appreciated and considered individually, each with their own requirements and concerns. Some have donated only their time, others information, and still others more - as you can see from this thread.

Another Appeal for Materials:

Despite recent acquisitions - many, many, fiches are still missing from the collection. For example, I had really hoped PDP-10 and PDP-8 materials would be more represented among the donations. This continues to be my hope.

If you know of, or possess Fiches - please tell someone and leave instructions on what to do with them should something happen to you. We continually hear of materials that have been discarded during probate and estate processing. Even with clear written instructions, this could happen to your collection too. Families are frequently overwhelmed at these times, and "things happen". Please make it a priority to pre-establish and ensure your wishes are carried out - or just do it yourself.

Once again, thanks to the community. While the effort doesn't progress without monetary and material needs met, "moral support" is essential. We have to be in this for the "long haul" and keeping the topic in the public consciousness continues to make things possible as well as motivate us.

vaxorcist
November 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hi,

are there any "Revison Control" documents (for DEC modules & computers) among the microfiches currently available?

I know there are some available at:

http://deathrow.vistech.net/~cvisors/DEC94MDS/

but I need some others, e.g. for:

- M8200
- M8201
- M8202

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ulli

1ajs
November 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
what i have for microfiche
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9757/fischk.jpg

jackrubin
November 24th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I just rescued a couple of car loads of DECUS publications and DEC docs. The material included a 20" fiche tray as well. I'm slowly going through them to manually separate the individual fiches but so far only one or two have been damaged. The set is identified as 'MDS ID# GT-0139-0478-P11R'; it breaks out as roughly 7-3/4" of Diagnostics, 3-3/4" Hardware Manuals, 1/2" IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakout) Manuals, 3/8" PM Manuals and 4-1/4" Module Documentation. Included price lists and MDS Bulletins date the collection from 1979-1980.

I'm headed off to the public library with an envelope full of 11/35 fiches to see if I can find a reader!

Jack

jackrubin
November 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Our library has something called an "ST ViewScan" which is a CCD optical imager that is connected to a PC for image processing. It has direct screen output and the ability to save images (I think both tiff and pdf) to a USB key. Since the output is a digital image, it allows black/white reversal, brightness/contrast adjustment, etc. Unfortunately, the resolution seems too low to read the fiches. It is tantalizingly close - I can see the illustrations and read the large font manual titles but the body text is too pixelated to read. I'll contact the manufacturer to see it they have any hints on increasing the resolution or maybe they have an alternate lens. If it can be made to work, this would seem to be a great system to work with though it really seems to be designed for microfilm (it will automatically scan and advance roll film).

Jack

Old Computers
November 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I was browsing Ebay the other day and I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-PDP-11-and-other-DEC-units-BOX-OF-OVER-2-000-microfiche-VERY-RARE-W-READER-/130807216192?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item1e74b7b840

I'd buy it but it's out of my price range. Maybe some of you guys might be interested in it.

mc68010
November 24th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I was browsing Ebay the other day and I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-PDP-11-and-other-DEC-units-BOX-OF-OVER-2-000-microfiche-VERY-RARE-W-READER-/130807216192?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item1e74b7b840

I'd buy it but it's out of my price range. Maybe some of you guys might be interested in it.

I'd be surprised if they fetch that much. Might wait for a more reasonable relisting or contact the seller after it doesn't sell.

jackrubin
November 25th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I've spent a few hours touring the public libraries in the area and one thing for sure, these fiche are no substitute for printed manuals. There are even notes in the fiches warning that photos don't reproduce well and certain areas have been retyped to improve legibility. I can read most of them pretty easily on a standard optical reader though exposures vary from OK to almost too dark to see. Unfortunately the digital scanner still remains on the very edge of legibility. I was surprised to find that the vendor of digital scanner is local so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. This really should be the way to go if it can be made to work.

Jack

Lou - N2MIY
November 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have set up my fiche reader with an X-Y positioner to move the carriage. Then, with a digital camera pointed at the screen, it snaps an image. The X-Y positioner and camera shutter are computer-controlled and can capture an entire fiche in automated fashion. It beats the heck out of doing it by hand. However, I do not have the right lens for my projector to capture full pages of schematics. It's only suitable for manuals :(.

Jack, what were on those fiche (in general). Is there any 8 stuff or is it all 11 stuff?

Lou

jackrubin
November 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately it's nearly all 11 stuff; there are a few 8/E,M,F,A references in the IPBs but no full manuals. There's also obviously a little overlap in the peripherals, eg. RK05/RK8, RL01, etc. TC11 but no TC01 or TC08. In fact, there are even two fiches for the TU55 - not sure any of those ever made to an 11 - but nothing that I've seen so far on the actual 12-bit processors, though I haven't checked much in the Modules section.

Are you actually photographing the reader screen or are you using the carrier to hold your camera? What magnification is your lens?

Jack

Lou - N2MIY
November 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Jack,

I am photographing the reader screen. I did have the screen out and was projecting on a wall and considered photographing the wall (or a movie screen). The reader screen seemed good enough.

The reader is a small one that Will K. gave me. It's an NMI model 75. It has a 20mm lens, which according to the selection chart stuck to the inside, achieves a 42X reduction. There were also 33 and 17mm lenses available, neither of which I have. I think I need the 33mm (24x reduction) to properly fit whole schematics in the field of view. Even then, the grain of the screen may not be fine enough, and I'd be back to projecting on the wall (and mirroring the image in software).

Lou

1ajs
December 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
so i tossed my microfich on the scaner does 4800dpi optical sept when i zoom in its out of focus whats up with that?

using a epson 4490
the raw scan is 5megs >> 12000pixls by 19000
http://pointdouglas.com/SEBHC/microfiche/rk8l002.jpg

Lou - N2MIY
December 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Adrian,

Yeah, we've found that a page scanner with fantastic specs still doesn't cut it. I have ended up just photographing the screen of my microfiche viewer. If you haven't got one yet, keep your eyes open for one and snag it.

Lou

1ajs
December 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM
i gues i could just go to the winnipeg lybrary downtown and do that

have you tried this yet? just seeing simlar discusion on the ccmp mailling list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=svdsXGqjWEg

AK6DN
December 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Have you tried flipping the fiche over and scanning from the other side?
Are you sure the fiche is absolutely flat against the scanner glass?
What did you use behind the fiche to improve contrast? Just the white (usually) scanner lid, or something else?

I don't know if any of these will change the results, but they are some things I would try.
Don

RSX11M+
December 11th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Looks like you're suffering from JPG compression. Try another image format - BIN or TIF without compression and see what that looks like. Other suggestions are good too.

Actually, those are pretty good. A little enhancement with Photoshop could yield usable results.

Epson 4490 eh?

vaxorcist
December 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM
RSX11M+, I sent you a PM twice and didn't get an answer (or your answer got lost). Did you receive any of them?
Would really like to get in contact and offer help!

Regards,

Ulli

ddyer
December 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I wonder if the actual resolution of the fiche is such that the reader could be bypassed. Either photograph the fiche
directly (on a light table, using a 20 megapixel camera) or scan it on a scanner that can handle transparencies.

RSX11M+
December 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
The resolution of a fiche exceeds the means we're applying here. However, while not quite enough to render full quality, achieving actual 9600dpi would provide images good enough for our purposes. As you can see from 1ajs's 4800dpi example, even these could "nearly do".

ddyer - The 20MP camera method you suggest would not be sufficient for an entire fiche as it would be equivalent to only 4800dpi if it photographed one inch square. Fiches are ~6x4 inches.

The scanner employed by 1ajs made an image 11733 x 19292 [ equivalent to 226MP ] and he covered only 1/3 of the Fiche. To do the entire Fiche at the same res would need 35199 x 19292 [ approaching ~700MP], and need nearly 3GP to get to 9600dpi. Still - while there might be a slight focus issue, common with many flatbed scanners, his results are quite good - as I tried to say earlier. The choice of JPG format for the file probably degraded the image, as evidenced by the fact that it's only 5MB as a JPG, and indicates a large amount of compression loss.

Ulli, I did receive your PMs, an apologize for not responding promptly. I've been much less participatory in the forums, and this activity, for the last 6 months than I expected. I've been distracted by a health issue with a family member, which has consumed my available time. During that period, I've only posted here as a means to retain my sanity. [ and I'm losing ]

We did have a member volunteer that he had Source fiches of a version of VMS. [see previous post] I haven't had time to check with him to see if there's anything to be of assistance to you.

Unfortunately, I have no catalog of fiches in my possession and there is not yet a "collective" list either. Communicating here has been our means of addressing specific requests up to this point.

It has become clear to me that sharing images of entire fiches, such as the one posted by 1ajs, will be the best way we can progress on this effort. My activity [as much as I've had time for] has centered around mechanizing that capability, and researching software to perform the conversion to PDF. My hope is that then, interested members can share these huge images and using the software, lend their time to the conversion effort - "communally".

Another element is the construction of a web repository to contain Fiche catalogs of members, to act as a share point for unconverted Fiche images, as an exchange / archive for their PDFs, and to facilitate the management / review of same.

That's the whole project I have in mind, in a nutshell.

Good to see there's interest out there - makes me feel like we are accomplishing something doing this.

AK6DN
December 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Why would you even want to image the whole 4x6 fiche in one file anyway? That file would be very hard to use.

A 20MP camera shot of ONE page image in the fiche might just be enough resolution.

Don

RSX11M+
December 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Why would you even want to image the whole 4x6 fiche in one file anyway? That file would be very hard to use.

A 20MP camera shot of ONE page image in the fiche might just be enough resolution.

Don
To build a Fiche Library Archive -

The idea is to find an easy common format that would enable those with fiches to share them with those who would go to the trouble to convert them to PDF for permanent archiving. I'd be hesitant to surrender my Fiches to anyone else, or a postal carrier, and anyone doing so takes a risk of potentially irreplaceable loss.

Of course, "Whole Fiche" images would be usable "as is" by those with the ability to see very large images [Macs do this easily - BTW] but that's not the intent.

For example - It takes only a minute to scan an entire fiche. I have several thousand of them. It's more than I could possibly convert myself in the remainder of my life. Heck, just to scan them is a couple years work at 40 hrs a week.

So, the scans could be shared and enable others to contribute their effort, moving the project forward faster than I ever could by myself. Scanning also avoids all the image distortions that occur when passing Fiches through a camera lens, eliminating a lot of tedious image post-processing. [Field flattening, trapezoidal distortion removal, etc.]

Lastly - It enables me to GET Fiches from others, and make a "complete" archive available to others, again for conversion. One example of this would be PDP-10 Fiche sets. I have none, and would add them to my inventory in a heartbeat, should anyone share them.

That's why.

Lou - N2MIY
December 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
If you guys are curious, I was using an old 2MP camera to photograph page images from fiche as projected on the viewing screen of my little fiche viewer. 2MP was just fine and made files of "reasonable" size. Here is a photo of my jerry-rigged mechanism for moving the carriage of the fiche reader in an automated fashion. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/album.php?albumid=2&attachmentid=11357

I made a bracket out of copper water tubing to go from the trolley on the positioner to the handle on the fiche reader carriage. A PC running a quickbasic program tells the stepper motor driver what to do (advancing rows and columns) and also actuates the shutter release on an older Olympus digital camera that used an RS232 interface. The camera is really old, and so one memory card can't hold an entire fiche, so the program also downloads the photos from the camera, writes them to hard disk, then clears the memory then continues to finish the fiche. Actually, a 128MB smartmedia card would do the trick and hold an entire fiche, but I am too cheap to buy one for $20 on ebay (keep hoping to find one at a hamfest.)

I also need to find a replacement screen for the fiche viewer as there is a piece of one corner missing. None of this cost me anything (except my time), so that's the best part.

I do realize this is kind of a Rube Goldberg approach, but it is fun.

Lou

RSX11M+
December 19th, 2012, 05:51 PM
When Lou sends me the output from his camera, a considerable amount of work has to be done to make them into readable / printable form. [PDF]

This is done in stages.

1) Lou uploads them to me via FTP
2) I then have to make certain that they're named in a fashon that will alphabetize them to the correct final "page" sequence.
3) Next, they're copied to a temporary "Working" Folder. [keeping his as original masters]
Image processing is done by Photoshop,
4) I evaluate a couple images to see how they'll be processed. Typically, we end up with something like this:

[*=1]Negative
[*=1]Alter to 256 Greyscale
[*=1]Sharpen Filter
[*=1]Field Flatten Filter
[*=1]Adjust Trapezoidal Distortion
[*=1]Downconvert to a standard resolution
[*=1]Save as compressed TIF

5) This procedure is saved to a Batch Processing Script and the same set of changes is applied automatically to the entire set of pages.
Now we're ready to Re-format them for conversion to PDF.
6) Another editor is used to create a Multi-page TIF file, and each image is manually added to the file. Documents over 100 pages take considerable time as the process of editing gets longer as the number of pages grows. This is a bit maddening and may take up to 2 hours.
7) After reviewing the Multipage TIF to make certain I haven't skipped or inserted pages out of order, we proceed to the final step...
8 ) The Multipage TIF image is copied to yet another system and a program is run which converts it from TIF to PDF format. This is an old command line program and requires me to hit ENTER several times for each page, as it displays warnings as each is processed. [I can't turn off the warnings or supply the pages so they won't happen]

Poof! - if everything goes right, we have a PDF document from that Fiche. [Heaven help us with Multi-Fiche Documents]

Lou's device eliminates the "Mind Numbing" first step, but still takes time too. At least he doesn't need to sit and run it by hand any more, he can "oversee" - presumably occupying his time with something else while it happens.

It is my ultimate hope that a specialized collection of software will aid in chopping up a "Whole Fiche Image" [WFI] into pages, and process them into a PDF with far less human interaction. But this is not yet accomplished.

Note also that PDFs produced in the manner I have described are "Image Only" and do not have OCR'd Text. Such a conversion really requires a human guided PDF editor, isolating diagrams on pages from their textural content. I have yet to find such an editor.

Scanning a "Whole Fiche Image" [WFI] produced "usable" output in one minute, eliminating the immediate need to do over a day's work per Fiche, even if we could sit there that long, to perform the conversion to PDF. The WFI on the other hand, can be shared "As Is" and be on it's way across the Web in minutes rather than waiting for anyone to get "A round TUIT".

1944GPW
December 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Note also that PDFs produced in the manner I have described are "Image Only" and do not have OCR'd Text. Such a conversion really requires a human guided PDF editor, isolating diagrams on pages from their textural content. I have yet to find such an editor.

I wonder if it would be possible to get in touch with whoever scanned and OCR'd these issues of BYTE for some advice? (ftp://helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/) They did a very VERY good job on both scanning and the OCR, some of the best I've seen. I've been able to do text searches on these PDFs and have been utterly amazed at how accurate the OCR is, even finding matches in really tiny font... kudos to them.

Steve

Old Computers
January 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Does anybody have anyting about Dectalk on microfiche? I am troubleshooting a malfunctioning DTC03 unit, and I cannot find the service manual anywhere on the internet.

RSX11M+
February 6th, 2013, 07:26 AM
For those who might be interested, there's a VAX Fiche set on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-VAX-VMS-Micro-Fiche-set-/290858299508). Among other things it it appears to have Source Listings for VMS 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 4.1.

It times out in 1day, 23hrs as of this post. (Feb 8, 08:03:31 PST)

RSX11M+
February 11th, 2013, 05:00 PM
For reference's sake, that listed at $149.95 and sold for $260 (3 bids).

Please let us know if someone on the forums is the winning bidder.

tingo
March 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
In case anyone needs microfiche scanning equipment, there is a message on cctech: http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2013-March/102803.html
Note: I do not know if the "Bell & Howell Classic TDR-500" is useful for this task today.

gewtnet
April 9th, 2013, 02:29 PM
How large are the exported files? I can likely provide a mirror if one is needed. I have a bunch of free disk on my VPSes.

rorypoole
May 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
maybe usefull? Minolta Micro Rokkor Microfilm Camera - USED $350 in USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-Micro-Rokkor-Microfilm-Camera-USED-/300391026251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f0b34e4b

1ajs
June 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
someone just posted a micro fich scanner for local pick up 75 bucks i think on the classiccmp mailling list

heres the email

FS Cannon Micro film scanner Kent Wa. 75.00
Inbox
x

Jerry Wright g-wright at att dot net via classiccmp.org
5:37 PM (1 hour ago)

to cc_talk
I have one of these that needs a new home. These work like a
plain scanner through a PC or can print directly to a Printer. Has
SCSI and Parallel ports. Does need a new lamp. Standard
projector lamp.

Local pick up only

Info here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/micrographics/ms_400_500/microfilm_scanner_500

- Jerry

SB66
July 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I'm trying to clear out my loft and I have a box with 100+ Dec Fiche.

I'm happy to post it FOC to anyone in the UK who wants it or anywhere worldwide if someone wants to pay for the postage.

SB

Lou - N2MIY
July 16th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Sir,

Can you tell us roughly what machines are covered in that fiche set? I'd like to know if they are redundant with what we have already collected.

Thanks,
Lou

RSX11M+
July 16th, 2013, 04:13 PM

I'm happy to post it FOC to anyone in the UK who wants it or anywhere worldwide if someone wants to pay for the postage.

SBThank you for keeping them safe, and for mentioning them here.

Can you speculate on how much postage to the U.S. would be? It may be low enough to just take a chance on which you might have.

reichemoved
July 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM

SB

If it is a blue box with PDP or VAX fiches (plus associated peripherals), I'm in the Netherlands and very, very interested as I've been searching my butt off for a nice fiche set.

Regards,

Sander

Roland Huisman
March 9th, 2014, 03:24 AM
I didn't know about this topic untill tingo pointed me here.
I have about 150 of these films. For me it's not really interesting
because I don't have an PDP11 (yet...)

I really don't know the devices mentioned on the films.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?41799-Dec-microfiche-documentation-PDP11

Is there already a database for these films to check if it's available yet?

Regards, Roland

JimHowes
September 15th, 2014, 05:22 AM
I have unearthed a number of fische sets, which may be of interest

Headings from the varous fishe sets, which all appear complete and in good condition, are below, in what is hopefully a fixed font to preserve the layout

I am in Portsmouth, UK. I don't have any kind of reader, but if you have means to convert these to electronic documents, I'll gladly make the things available to you.

I also have access to VMS versions 2.0 through 2.4, and version 4.4 source listings fisches, but these are not available unless someone can clear the legal minefield that is presumably attached to the intellectual property therein.
(version 4.4 was the version which you could crash DCL simply by typing & and return)

CTP COMMUNICATIONS TEST MD-11-DZQCA-G NOV76 1 EP-DZQCA-DL-A
DV11(A) WIRE LIST SEP77 1 EP-DV11-A-WLN-A
DJ11BP(B) WIRE LIST OCT76 1 EP-DJ11-BP-WL-A
DUP11 OFFLINE SDLC TRANSMITTER CZDPBC0 DEC78 1 AH-8577C-MC
DUP11 OFFLINE SDLC RCVR CZDPCD0 MAY79 1 AH-8581D-MC
DUP11 SDLC DECMD TST CZDPDC0 JUL78 1 AH-8585C-MC
DUP11 DUP11 CONFIDENCE TEST CZDPEB0 SEP79 1 AH-8589B-MC
DUP11 OVERLAY FOR INTER TEST MD-11-DZDPF-B JAN78 1 EP-DZDPF-B-DL
DR11B GENERAL NPR INTERFACE MD-11-DZDRB-F JUN78 1 EP-DZDRB-F-DL
DR11B NAME SORT MAY80 1 EP-DR11B-WN-A
DR11-B/DA11-B CZDRBG0 SEP80 1 AH-B644G-MC
LP11 LINE PRINTER TEST MD-11-DZLPA-B JAN78 1 EP-DZLPA-B-DL
LP14-LP11-LP05 LINE PRINTER TEST MD-11-DZLPK-H JAN78 1 DP-DZLPK-H-DL
MS11-L*/MS11-M* MS11-L/M MEMORY CZMSDB0 FEB81 2 AH-F295B-MC
M9301/9400 BOOT TERMR M9301/9400 CZM9AE0 SEP79 1 AH-8965E-MC
TS11 TS11 DATA RELIAB CZTSHC0 MAR80 1 AH-E455C-MC
TU58 TU58 PERF EXERCISER CZTUUB0 NOV79 1 AH-E649B-MC
TS11 TS11CTRL LGC CZTS1B0 NOV79 1 AH-E458B-MC

Technical manuals in alphabetical order

BA11-A MOUNTING BOX AND POWER SYSTEM TECHNICAL APR81 1 EP-BA11A-TM-002
BA11-K 10.5 INCH MOUNTING BOX TECHNICAL MANUAL APR78 1 EP-BA11K-TM-03A
BA11-L BA11L MOUNTING BOX TECHNICAL MANUAL OCT77 1 EP-BA11L-TM-001
BA11-N BA11N MOUNTING BOX TECHNICAL MANUAL FEB78 1 EP-BA11N-TM-001
BDV11 BUS TERMINATOR BOOTSTRAP & DIAG ROM APR78 1 EP-BDV11-TM-001
CR11/CM11 CR11/CM11 CARD READER SYSTEM MANUAL DEC77 1 EP-CR11-TM-004
DA10 PDP8,9,15 INTERFACE MAINTENANCE MANUAL JUL75 1 DP-DA10-00-MM-A
DJ11 ASYNCHRONOUS 16 LINE MUX MAINT MANUAL FEB79 1 EP-ODJ11-MM-003
DL11 ASYNCHRONOUS LINE INTERFACE MANUAL FEB79 1 EP-ODL11-TM-003
DL11-W SERIAL LINE UNIT/REAL-TIME CLOCK AUG77 1 EP-DL11W-MM-A1
DLV11-E/F DLV11-E/F ASYNC LINE INTERFACE USER MAN MAR78 1 EP-DLV11-QP-001
DMC11 IPL MICROPROCESSOR TECHNICAL MANUAL OCT79 1 EP-DMCMP-TM-002
DMC11 IPL SYNC LINE UNIT MAINT MANUAL JUL78 1 EP-DMCLU-MM-002
DR11-B DMA INTERFACE MAINTAINANCE MANUAL APR76 1 EP-DR11B-MM-A 2 COPIES
DUP11 DUP11 BIT SYNC INTERFACE MAINT MANUAL DEC77 1 EP-DUP11-MM-001
DU11 SYNC INTERFACE MAINT MANUAL NOV76 1 EP-DU11-00-MM-A
DV11 COMMUNICATIONS MUX MAINTENANCE MANUAL AUG78 1 EP-DV11-MM-003
DZV11 ASYNC MUX TECHNICAL MANUAL JUN78 1 EP-DZV11-TM-001
DZ11 ASYNC MUX TECHNICAL MANUAL OCT78 1 EP-DZ110-TM-002
FP11 FLTGT PROCESSOR MAINTENANCE JUL76 1 EP-FP11-00-MM-A
FP11-A FLOATING POINT PROCESSOR TECH MANUAL JUN78 1 EP-FP11A-TM-002
FP11-C FLOATING POINT PROCESSOR MAINT MANUAL JUN79 1 EP-FP11C-MM-001
FP11-E FLOATING POINT PROCESSOR TECH MANUAL APR78 1 EP-FP11E-TM-001
KG11-A EXCLUSIVE OR AND CRC MAINT MANUAL AUG78 1 EP-KG11-A-MM-A
KY11-B KY11-B CONTROL CONSOL MANUAL DEC77 1 EP-KY11B-TM-001
KY11-C KY11-C PROGRAMMER'S CONSOL MANUAL DEC77 1 EP-KY11-TM-001
KY11-LB CONSOLE OPERATION MAINT MANUAL FEB77 1 EP-KY11-LB-HM-A
KW11-L/P/W LINE TIME/PROG.R-T/WATCHDOG TIMER MAN APR79 1 EP-OKW11-TM-A
LA120 LA120 TECHNICAL MANUAL FEB80 1 EP-LA120-TM-001
M9312 BOOTSTRAP/TERMINATOR MODULE TECH MAN JUL78 1 EP-M9312-TM-001
VT100 VT100 TECHNICAL MANUAL JUN81 1 EP-VT100-TM-002 2 COPIES
LSI-11 PDP11/03 USERS MANUAL JUN78 1 EP-LSI11-TM-003
LA36 DECWRITER-II MAINTENANCE MANUAL VOL 1 JUL78 2 EP-1LA36-MM-002
LA180 DECPRINTER-I MAINTENANCE MANUAL JUL79 2 EP-LA180-MM-03A
LP11/LS11/LA11 LINE PRINTER MANUAL JAN78 1 EP-LP11-TM-007
M7850 PARITY CONTROLLER MAINT MANUAL FEB77 1 EP-M7850-1-MM-B
MS11-A,B,C MEMORY SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE MANUAL DEC78 1 EP-MS11A-MM-006
MS11-L MOS MEMORY TECHNICAL MANUAL APR79 1 EP-MS11L-TM-001
MS11-M MOS MEMORY TECHNICAL MANUAL MAY80 1 EP-MS11M-TM-001
MRV11BA/MSV11CDEMRV11-BA-LSI-11-UV-PROM RAM USER MAN MAR78 1 EP-MRV11-TM-01A
PDP11/34-A POWER SYSTEM DESCRIPTION FEB78 1 EP-1134A-TM-003
RK06/RK07 DISK DRIVE TECHNICAL DESC + MANUAL APR78 1 EP-RK067-TD-001
RL01/RL02 DISK DRIVE TECHNICAL MANUAL JAN80 2 EP-RL012-TM-PRE
RL01 DISK SUBSYSTEM SERVICE MANUAL DEC78 2 EP-DRL01-SV-PRE1
RL01 RL01 DISK DRIVE TECH DESC. MANUAL MAR78 1 EP-RL01-TD-PRE
RL11 DISK CONTROLLER TECH DESC MANUAL FEB78 1 EP-RL11-TD-PRE
RLV11 CONTROLLER TECH DESC MANUAL MAR78 1 EP-RLV11-TD-001
RX02 FLOPPY DISK SYSTEM TECHNICAL MANUAL OCT78 1 EP-ORX02-TM-00
RX8/RX11 FLOPPY DISK SYSTEM MAINTENANCE MANUAL JAN78 1 EP-BX01-MM-002
RXV11 RXV11 USERS MANUAL MAR78 1 EP-RXV11-OP-002
TU58 DECTAPE II TECHNICAL MANUAL OCT79 1 EP-OTU58-TM-001

Interface diagnostics

DL11-E DL11-E ON LINE TEST CZDLBC0 JAN80 1 AH-8521C-MC
DR11W DR11-W GEN NPR INTFC CZDRLA0 JAN80 1 AH-E780A-MC
DL11-C,D,E DL11-C,D,E OFFLINE TEST CZDLCC0 JAN80 1 AH-8525C-MC
DR11A DR11A DEV REG TST CZDRIB0 SEP79 1 AH-8669B-MC
DUP11 DUP11 SDLC DECMD TST CZDPDD0 JAN80 1 AH-8585D-MC
DR11K DR11K DIGITAL I/O CZDRGE0 JAN80 1 AH-8662E-MC
M9312 M9312/1144 UBI BOOT CZM9BD0 JAN80 1 AH-E058D-MC
DR11W DR11-W INTRPROC EXER CZDRKA0 JAN80 1 AH-E783A-MC
DL11-W DL11-W/1144 MFM SLU CZDLDD0 JAN80 1 AH-8529D-MC
KL11/DL11 TELETYPE TESTS MD-11-DZKLA-E NOV76 1 EP-DZKLA-E-DL-A
VT62/DZ11 SELF TEST CZDZCB0 JAN79 1 AH-A920B-MC
LA36 LA36 TERMINATOR (DL11&KL11) CZLACE0 DEC78 1 AH-8899E-MC
LA36 LA36 TERMINAL (DH11+DJ11) MD-11-DZLAD-C OCT76 1 EP-DZLAD-C-DL-A
LA36 TERM TEST CZLAFA0 APR78 1 AH-E100A-MC
LA36 LA36 TERM (DL11&KL11) CZLACF0 NOV79 1 AH-8899F-MC
LA36 LA36 DH11/DJ11 DIAG CZLADD0 NOV79 1 AH-8903D-MC
LDA36 TERM TEST CZLAFA0 APR78 1 AH-E100A-MC
LA00,34,38 LA00 DMT DIAG CZLA1B0 SEP79 1 AH-E150B-MC
PDP11 MOS/CORE G124K EXER CZKMAF0 SEP79 1 AH-8851F-MC

RL01 & RL02 diagnostics

RL11,RLV11 PERFORMANCE EXERCISER CZRLEB0 JAN79 1 AH-E247B-MC
RL11,RLV11 CONTROLLER TEST PART 2 CZRLBB0 JAN79 1 AH-E041B-MC
RL11,RLV11 RL01/02 DRIVE TEST 1 CZRLIB0 MAR80 1 AH-F118B-MC
RL11,RLV11 DRIVE TEST PART 1 CZRLCB0 JAN79 1 AH-E045B-MC
RL11,RLV11 DRIVE TEST PART 2 CZRLDB0 JAN79 1 AH-E049B-MC
RL11,RLV11 DRIVE COMPATIBILITY CZRLFB0 JAN79 1 AH-E251B-MC
RL11,RLV11 RL11/RLV11 CTLR TST 2 CZRLHB0 MAR80 1 AH-F1148-MC
RL11,RLV11 RL01/02 DRIVE TEST 3 CZRLNA0 MAR80 1 AH-F845A-MC
RL11,RLV11 TL01/02 DRIVE TEST 2 CZRLJB0 MAR80 1 AH-F122B-MC
RL11,RLV11 BC SEC FIL TL CZRLMB0 MAR80 1 AH-F134B-MC
RL11,RLV11 RL01/02 PERF EXER CZRLKB0 MAR80 1 AH-F126B-MC
RL11,RLV11 RL01/02 DRIVE COMPAT CZRLLB0 MAR80 1 AH-F130B-MC

PDP-11/34 and 11/44 CPU, Memory & Floating point

FP11-F FP11F FLTG PNT PRT A CKFPAB0 FEB81 1 AH-F632B-MC 2 COPIES
FP11-F FP11F FLTG PNT B DKFPBA0 JAN80 2 AH-D635A-MC
FP11-F FP11F FLTG PNT PRT C CKFPCB0 MAR80 2 AH-F638B-MC 2 COPIES
XXDP+ XXDP+/SUPR USER MAN CHQUSE0 AUG81 1 AH-F356E-MC
PDP11 MOS/CORE 0-124K EXER CZKMAF0 SEP79 1 AH-8851F-MC 2 COPIES
PDP11 PDP-11 POWER FAIL DIAG MD-11-DZKAQ-G JAN78 1 EP-DZKAQ-G-DL
PDP11 BASIC MICROPROCESSOR TEST MD-11-DZKCC-A AUG77 1 EP-DZKCC-A-DL-A 2 COPIES
PDP11 INTER TEST PROGRAM MD-11-DZITA-D MAR77 1 EP-DZITA-D-DL-B 2 COPIES
PDP11/34 BASIC INSTRUCTION TEST CFKAAC0 JAN79 2 AH-8042C-MC
PDP11/34 11/34 TRAPS TEST CFKABD0 SEP79 1 AH-8047D-MC
PDP11/34 EIS INSTRUCTION TEST MD-11-DFKAC-A OCT77 1 EP-11-DFKAC-DL-A
PDP11 MAIN MEMORY CRAM TEST MD-11-DZKCD-A AUG77 1 EP-DZKCD-A-DL-A
PDP11/34 MEM MGT EXERCISER CFKTHB0 AUG78 1 AH-8055B-MC 3 COPIES
KT11 11/34 MEM MGT CFKTGC0 MAY79 1 AH-8052C-MC
M9312 M9312/1144 UBI BOOT CZM9BD0 JAN80 1 AH-E058D-MC
XXDP+ XXDP+/SUPR USER MAN CHQUSD0 JUN80 1 AH-F356D-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 CPU/EIS CKKAAA0 JAN80 2 AH-F620A-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 TRAPS CKKABB0 FEB81 1 AH-F623B-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 POWER FAIL CKKACB0 MAR80 1 AH-F617B-MC
KD11-Z ROM DIAG 11/44 UBI CKKFAA0 JAN80 1 AH-F640A-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 CNSL ROM DIAG CKKFBA0 JAN80 1 AH-F643A-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 MEM MGMT PRT A CKKTAA0 JAN80 1 AH-F611A-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 MEM MGMT PRT B CKKTBB0 MAR80 1 AH-F614B-MC
KD11-Z 11/44 UBI MAP CKKUAB0 FEB81 1 AH-F629B-MC
LPA11 LPA/DMC-11 TEST II CRLPMB0 FEB81 1 AH-B056B-MC
KW11-C CSS KW11C DEC/X MOD CXKWGA0 NOV80 1 AH-S250A-MC
CR11/CM11F DIAGNOSTIC MD-11-DZCRB-C NOV78 1 EP-DZCRB-C-DL-A
DLV11-E/F DLV11-E/F ASYNC LINE INT USER MANUAL MAR78 1 EP-DLV11-OP-001
DL11 DL11-E C/D OFFLINE TST MD-11-DDDLA-A NOV78 1 EP-DDDLB-A-DL-A
DR11-C DEVICE REGISTER TEST MD-11-DDDRA-A NOV76 1 EP-DDDRA-A-DL-A
DR11W DR11-W INTRPROC EXER CZDRKA0 JAN80 1 AH-E783A-MC
DU11 COMBINED EXERCISER MD-11-DDDUA-A NOV76 1 EP-DDDUA-A-DL-A
DZ11 DZ11 ASYNC MUX TST CZDZAG0 OCT81 1 AH-8783G-MC
KW11-W LOGIC TEST MD-11-DDKWB-A OCT76 1 EP-DDKWB-A-DL-A

PDP-11/23

PDP11/23 KTF11-A DIAG CJKDAB0 SEP79 1 AH-F137B-MC
PDP11/23 DCF11-AA DIAG CJKDBB0 SEP79 2 AH-F140B-MC
PDP11/23 KEF11-AA DIAGNOSTIC #1 CJKDCA0 SEP79 2 AH-F242A-MC
PDP11/23 KEF11-AA DIAGNOSTIC #2 CJKDDA0 SEP79 1 AH-F245A-MC
DEC/X11 AAV11 MODULE CXAACB0 DEC78 1 AH-E919B-MC
DEC/X11 ADV11 MODULE CXADCB0 DEC78 1 AH-E925B-MC
DEC/X11 BOOTSTRAP ROM MODULE CXBMCN0 DEC78 1 AH-F059N-MC
DEC/X11 LSI-11 BDV11 MODULE CXBMDC0 MAR79 1 AH-F062C-MC
DEC/X11 BUS TESTER MODULE A CXBTBB0 DEC78 1 AH-E811B-MC
DEC/X11 BUS TESTER MODULE B CXBTAB0 DEC78 1 AH-E814B-MC
DEC/X11 PROCESSOR TEST CXCPAG0 DEC78 1 AH-E656G-MC
DEC/X11 DZV11 MODULE CXDZBC0 DEC78 1 AH-E913C-MC
DEC/X11 IBV-11A MODULE CXIBAD0 DEC78 1 AH-E916D-MC
DEC/X11 KUV11 MODULE CXKUAB0 DEC78 1 AH-E994B-MC
DEC/X11 DWV11-K MODULE CXKWEB0 DEC78 1 AH-E922B-MC
DEC/X11 RP04/5/6,RM02/3 MODULE CXRMDA0 SEP80 1 AH-S083A-MC
DEC/X11 RH11,70,RM03,02 S P M CXRMAD0 MAR79 1 AH-E973D-MC
DEC/X11 RH11/RM03 DUAL PORT MODULE CXRMBC0 DEC78 1 AH-E970C-MC
DEC/X11 RH11-RH/U SGL P1 DSK CXRPBI0 MAY79 1 AH-E741I-MC
DEC/X11 RP04/5/6 MODULE CXRPDC0 SEP79 1 AH-F089C-MC
DEC/X11 RH11/RS03-04,RS03/LA CXRSAI0 DEC79 1 AH-E7501-MC
DEC/X11 TA11 MODULE CXTAAD0 DEC78 1 AH-E684D-MC
DEC/X11 TM02/3, TU16, TE16 MO CXTMBK0 SEP79 1 AH-E880K-MC
DEC/X11 TS11, TS04 MODULE CXTSAA0 MAR79 1 AH-E452A-MC
DEC/X11 VS60 MODULE CXVSAC0 DEC78 1 AH-E874C-MC
DEC/X11 DH11/VT20 MODULE CXVTBB0 DEC78 1 AH-E958B-MC
DEC/X11 BM873-YJ MODULE CXBMGB0 DEC78 1 AH-F071B-MC
DEC/X11 M9312 MODULE CXBMHB0 DEC78 1 AH-F074B-MC
DEC/X11 BUS TESTER MODULE B CXBTAB0 DEC78 1 AH-E814B-MC
DEC/X11 BUS TESTER MODULE A CXBTBB0 DEC78 1 AH-E811B-MC
DEC/X11 PROCESSOR TEST CXCPAG0 DEC78 1 AH-E666G-MC
DEC/X11 CR11 MODULE CXCRAG0 DEC78 1 AH-E696F-MC
DEC/X11 DH11 16-LNE PROG CXDHAL0 MAR79 1 AH-E868L-MC
DEC/X11 DJ11 MODULE DXDJAH0 MAR79 1 AH-E723H-MC
DEC/X11 DL11 MODULE CXDLAI0 DEC78 1 AH-E711I-MC
DEC/X11 DL11-E MODULE CXDLBB0 DEC78 1 AH-F000B-MC
DEC/X11 DM11-BB 16 LINE MODULE CXDMBI0 DEC78 1 AH-E847I-MC
DEC/X11 DMC11 MODULE CXDMCB0 DEC78 1 AH-E955B-MC
DEC/X11 DN11 MODULE DXDNAG0 DEC78 1 AH-E805G-MC
DEC/X11 DP11 MODULE CXDPAE0 DEC78 1 AH-E714E-MC
DEC/X11 DUP11 MODULE CXDPBB0 DEC78 1 AH-E895B-MC
DEC/X11 DQ11 MODULE CXDQAI0 DEC78 1 AH-E717I-MC
DEC/X11 DR11-A MODULE DXDRAD0 DEC78 1 AH-E856D-MC
DEC/X11 DR11-B MODULE DXDRBH0 DEC78 1 AH-E853H-MC
DEC/X11 DR11-C MODULE DXDRCI0 DEC78 1 AH-E735I-MC
DEC/X11 DR11-K MODULE DXDRDC0 DEC78 1 AH-E904C-MC
XXDP+ XXDP+/SUPR USER MAN CHQUSB0 SEP79 1 AH-F356B-MC

RM02/03 Diagnostics

RM03,02 FORMATTER CZRMAC0 JAN78 1 AH-9254C-MC
RM03,02 PERFORMANCE EXERCISER CZRMBB0 JAN78 2 AH-995B-MC
RM03,02 FUNCTIONAL TEST 1 CZRMCB0 JAN78 2 AH-A998B-MC
RM02,RM03 FCTNL TST 2 CZRMDC0 MAR79 2 AH-B001C-MC
RM02,RM03 FCTNL TST 3 CZRMEC0 MAR79 2 AH-B004C-MC
RM03,02 EXTENDED DRIVE TEST CZRMFB0 JAN78 2 AH-B007B-MC
RM03,02 DUAL PORT LOGIC 1 CZRMGB0 JAN78 2 AH-B010B-MC
RM03,02 DUAL PORT LOGIC 2 CZRMHB0 JAN78 1 AH-B013B-MC
RM03,02 DRIVE COMPATIBILITY TEST CZRMIB0 JAN78 1 AH-B016B-MC
RM03,02 DISKLESS 1 CZRMJC0 DEC78 2 AH-B019C-MC
RM03/2 DISKLESS 2 CZRMKB0 DEC78 1 AH-E377B-MC
RM02 RM02 DISK DRIVE TECHNICAL MANUAL JUL78 2 EP-ORM02-TM-001

Lou - N2MIY
September 18th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Jim,

That is a most excellent collection of very useful listings and manuals on fiche. Unfortunately we really don't have a practical / economical way to scan fiche yet. Please hang on to all of these, as I could see myself needing one of these listings eventually. If for any reason you need dispose of these, let us know and one of us will reimburse your postage to send them to one of us.

Folks,

Although these aren't in microfiche form, Tony D from classiccmp has posted his full hand-drawn reverse engineered Rainbow schematics. The link is in Volume 133 Issue 30 message number 2 of the cctech digest. I downloaded them all and they are quite impressive and complete.

Lou

Al Kossow
September 18th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I have unearthed a number of fiche sets, which may be of interest

Something to do IMMEDIATELY if you get DEC field service fiche sets in the blue fiche boxes is
to clean all traces of the crumbly foam out and wash any fiche that was in contact with it.

The foam eats the emulsion off the fiche.

JimHowes
September 21st, 2014, 04:54 AM
Useful information, thanks.

However, no crumbly foam here, however some of the slides may have some slight water damage around the edges, they are all dry now, and just stored in a dry plastic cardfile box, the original DEC packaging having dusted some years ago.
The VMS sources are still in their cardboard container and are, lacking any kind of fische reader, still in good condition.

Regards,
Jim

tkahle
September 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Have you been able to find the needed equipment to scan your microfiche? I understand that you can't afford to buy a new unit but I would be able to arrange for you to use one. I am the VP Engineering of e-ImageData Corp. We make the ScanPro 1100, 2000, and 3000 microfilm scanners. You can check these out at ( www.e-imagedata.com ). Any of these would work well for you. Yes, there is very small catch. Jack Rubin (member) has tried to scan these fiche with our competitors product but found the resolution to be inadequate. I think he would find our equipment exceptional in so many ways and the resolution outstanding. All I would like is for Jack to provide an honest evaluation/comparison that we would be allowed to use without any strings attached. If this is something you would be interested in contact Jack to see how he feels about this. Best Regards.

Al Kossow
September 27th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I am the VP Engineering of e-ImageData Corp. We make the ScanPro 1100, 2000, and 3000 microfilm scanners.

Years ago, when I was visiting my family in Milwaukee I ran up to Hartford and visited them. Nice folks..

jackrubin
September 27th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Todd,

I'd love to take you up on your offer and would be happy to share my findings with you, but the scanners you mention seem to be for microfilm rolls. Our media is microfiche. Can your machines handle fiche as well as film?

Thanks,
Jack

Lou - N2MIY
September 28th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Todd,

I read your product specs carefully, and the ScanPro3000 and 2000 are said to be able to scan fiche, but as Jack has observed, the setup looks optimized for microfilm. Can these units scan the entire fiche at one time, or does the fiche need to be repositioned? Is it repositioned manually, or is there a mechanism that slides the fiche around? With a 26MP imager, I think that a fiche would have to be scanned in sections.

Thanks in advance for your interest in our project.

Lou

tkahle
September 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Lou,

The vast majority of the applications for microfilm today are roll film, that is why all our ad graphics feature units with the optional roll film attachment installed. The base unit is fiche only (see attachment).
Your math is correct. Even with the 26mp camera one cannot scan the entire fiche in a single scan, it must be scanned in smaller blocks, preferably one image at a time. Our units do not move the fiche carrier from one image to the next. The equipment that does do this is crazy expensive, 75K-100K. Based on Jack's comments, it was my impression that he was attempting to scan one image at a time, however, even then, the highest magnification on the equipment he was using was not adequate. I am working at home and do not have access to film similar to the examples in this thread however, with the film pictured (see attachment), I was able to easily scan 20 images/minute. A sample of the scanned image is attached. Although the attached file is jpeg, I believe the best file type for your job will be tiff g4. This will result in a very small file size.

I understand that you probably have 10's, maybe 100's of thousands of images. This is a time consuming job however this type of project is not unique and is done frequently. Another alternative would be to find a service bureau to do the conversion for you, however, I am afraid this too will be very expensive.

Todd

tkahle
September 28th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Lou,
I have tried to post a sample image however the resolution is automatically reduced to a point were the image is unreadable. What am I doing wrong?
Todd

NF6X
September 28th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Lou,
I have tried to post a sample image however the resolution is automatically reduced to a point were the image is unreadable. What am I doing wrong?
Todd

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. That's just how this forum software works. To share large high-resolution images, I think you'll either need to place them somewhere else online and provide a link here, or to email them to folks who would like to see them.

jackrubin
September 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Todd,

There is a choice of resolutions available when uploading images but the interface isn't particularly friendly. Since it looks like you can do fiches pretty nicely, maybe it would be worthwhile for me to come up with some samples and give the system a try. Would that work for you?

Jack

Lou - N2MIY
September 28th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Todd,

Thanks for posting the image of your product with the fiche attachment. I suppose a compact commercial solution to move the fiche carrier may be as costly as you say. I did come up with my own for my crude (but functional) attempt at a fiche scanner. I used a stepper driven X-Y positioner to move the carrier on my compact fiche viewer. See here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/album.php?albumid=2&attachmentid=11357 . I wrote code on on a control computer to move the steppers and trigger the shutter release on a 1.8MP digital camera (good enough for letter size pages). The camera I used was old, so I also had to download and clear memory automatically after 32 frames. It did all work.

At 20 frames per minute, even manually guided, your machine is a good bit faster than the rig above.

Lou

tkahle
September 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Lou,

Pretty impressive! Very resourceful! We had always talked about adding steppers to control fiche carrier movement but never got around to it. We have a software package called Auto-Scan™ Pro. It is designed to work with roll film only. It is able to scan 50 images/minute. The vast majority of the scan time is film movement. You can see that motorizing x/y fiche carrier movement could be quite fast. Jack, if you are reading this, when you state "come up with some samples and give the system a try" are you asking if I would send you a unit or are you suggesting that you would send me some fiche? Either way would be OK however it would be good to be sure that you like the images. Do the document images have grayscale pictures or just line-art? If it is only line-art, the best image format to use would be group 4 tiff. Our binarize algorithm is fantastic and produces a very good lineart (1 bit) image and results in the smallest file size. I wish there was a way to upload a group 4 tiff file.

Todd

Al Kossow
September 29th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Do the document images have grayscale pictures or just line-art?

One problem with DEC fiche is they packed the images quite densely

Could the bed of your current model handle IBM service microfiche?
They are the size of an IBM punched card (7 3⁄8 by 3 1⁄4)

tkahle
September 29th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Al,
What do you see as the problem if the images are packed quite densely?
We have some samples of punch card size fiche and yes, the carrier will accommodate this fiche even though the glass width is 6". The strategy is to scan most of the images and then shift the fiche over to capture the balance. Not ideal, but, the quantity of film in use with these dimensions is very, very limited.

Joerg Hoppe
November 10th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Hi, can't keep my mouth shut: I just got a automatic scanner working.
It's also a CNC x/y positioner tied to a Agfa reader.
The screen is photographed with a 16MBit CANON EOS 500D DSLR.
The images are transfered to disk automatically over USB.
No photos of the rig is available: I have only this one camera:-)

I patched long with the control software:
Moving each fiche page exactly in the center is difficult and needs some calibration.

A fiche is now scanned automatically at 10 seconds/document page.
Project is a library of 300 DEC XXDP listings, approx 30.000 pdf pages.

See raw camera output of an example fiche at
ftp://u58104846-pub:open4you@ftp.j-hoppe.de

Next problem is post processing.
A Photoshop script with "invert, highpass, threshold" should yield usable results,
clipping has also to be programmed.

jackrubin
November 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Wooo Hooo!!!

m_thompson
November 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Joerg,

That looks beautiful!

Lou - N2MIY
November 11th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joerg,

Very nice work. Please post a photo of the setup. It must be a very nice fiche reader.

5MB per frame is quite big. Even with the 1.5MP camera I was using, I thought the frames data size was too big. The real trick will be working out the photoshop procedure to get these to greyscale, and then resampling to a lower pixel resolution (but still readable.) If you figure that out, post that here as well.

Lou

1944GPW
November 11th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I agree, those scans are very good. Great work!

For the post-processing, I can recommend Imagemagick, it's fantastic. It's a FOS command line batch image processing tool with a suite of extras: http://www.imagemagick.org

Steve.

Joerg Hoppe
November 17th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Here is a video of my rig at work:
http://youtu.be/GCRr9sbHBnM

The Photoshop postprocessing chain is:

Enlarge picture to 200%
Invert
Highpass with 100-200 pixel radius
Selective sharpeness with radius 3 pixel
Threshold at 95 (of 255)
Remove spot and scratches (radius=2)

I'll take a look at imagemagick.

Joerg

Lou - N2MIY
November 18th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Joerg,

Thanks for posting the video. Indeed you do have a very high quality fiche viewer. I noticed that the positioner always is commanded to overshoot and return back. I had to do this with the fiche reader I use as well (there is is a lot of play in the fiche reader's carriage mechanism). Again, this is a beautiful bit of work, and I think it's about the best that hobbyists can do at home from a speed standpoint.

I saw that you were scanning XXDP listings. Do have have a suitable lens for your reader to view the larger images of the print sets? I unfortunately do not have such a lens. I'm curious if the schematics are readable if the fill the entire screen of your viewer and are then photographed in one frame.

Lou

frustrated
November 18th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Larger formats could likely be dealt with using multiple exposures reassembled using something like autostitch. I'm thinking his framing software that appears to seek the upper left corner could be modified to seek the other corners as required without too much difficulty.

On another note, I'm figuring I'm not the only one with boxes of DEC microfiche sitting around. As this fiche-to-pdf-to-document technology gels, we're going to need to find some way to locate those sets that are unique before they're lost for good.

Joerg Hoppe
November 18th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Lou,

thanks for that positive feedback!

The reader is an AGFA GEVAERT COPEX LP4.
There's a 21x, 45x and 50x lens.
The 21x is not used, so I could go 45x -> 21x and project bigger fiches onto the screen, right?
I have no FPMS fiche to test.

At the moment I'm producing 10 fiches / day.
I could need help in making the PDFs, as Al told me he's too busy for that.

Here's the list: 430 XXDP listings.
An automatic check against the bitsavers file tree (tolerant substring match) indicates
that almost all are fresh.

DH11#CZDHAD0#AH-8445D-MC
DH11#CZDHBC0#AH-FG21C-MC
DH11#CZDHCC0#AH-FG22C-MC
DH11#CZDHDD0#AH-FG23D-MC
DH11#CZDHEC0#AH-FG24C-MC
DH11#CZDHFC0#AH-FG25C-MC
DH11#CZDHGC0#AH-FG26C-MC
DH11#CZDHHC0#AH-FG27C-MC
DH11#CZDHID0#AH-8478D-MC
DH11#CZDHJC0#AH-FG28C-MC
DH11,DM11#CZDHKF0#AH-8485F-MC
DH11#CZDHLC0#AH-8489C-MC
DH11#CZDHMD0#AH-8494D-MC
DH11#CZDHMD0#AH-8494D-MC
DH11#CZDHND0#AH-8498D-MC
DHU11#CZDHUB0#AH-T7958-MC
DHU11#CZDHVB0#AH-T7978-MC#1/2
DHU11#CZDHVB0#AH-T7978-MC#2/2
DHU11#CZDHWB0#AH-T799B-MC
DHU11#CZDHXA0#AH-T801A-MC#1/2
DHU11#CZDHXA0#AH-T801A-MC#2/2
DJ11#CZDJAF0#AH-8504F-MC
DJ11#CZDJBG0#AH-8509G-MC
DJ11#MD-11-DZDJD-B#EP-DZDJD-B-DL-A
DL11-E,C,D#CZDLAH0#AH-8517H-MC
DL11-E#CZDLBC0#AH-8521C-MC
DL11-C,D,E#CZDLCD0#AH-8525D-MC
KD11Z,KD11W,DL11W#CZDLDI0#AH-8529I-MC
DL11#CZDL0D0#AH-8533D-MC
DM11A#CZDMAD0#AH-8537D-MC
DM11#CZDMBD0#AH-8541D-MC
DMC11#CZDMCD0#AH-8545D-MC
PDP11#MD-11-DZKAQ-G#EP-DZKAQ-G-DL
PDP-11#CZKAQH0#AH-8815H-MC
KMC11#MD-11-DZKCA-A#EP-DZKCA-A-DL-A
PDP11#MD-11-DZKCC-A#EP-DZKCC-A-DL-A
PDP11#MD-11-DZKCD-A#EP-DZKCD-A-DL-A
KMC11-A#CZKCEB0#AH-A911B-MC
KMC11-A#CZKCFB0#AH-A914B-MC
KMC-11#CZKCGA0#AH-E108A-MC
PDP11#MD-11-DZKCH-A#EP-DZKCH-A-DL-A
PDP11#CZKCIB0#AH-A970B-MC
KDJ11-A#CZKDJB0#AH-T705B-MC#1/2
KDJ11-A#CZKDJB0#AH-T705B-MC#2/2
KDJ11-A#CZKDKB0#AH-T707B-MC
KDJ11-A#CZKDLB0#AH-t709B-MC
KDJ11-A#CZKDMB0#AH-T711B-MC
KE44-A#CZKEEC0#AH-F227C-MC#1/3
KE44-A#CZKEEC0#AH-F227C-MC#2/3
KE44-A#CZKEEC0#AH-F227C-MC#3/3
KG11-A#MD-11-DZKGA-B#EP-DZKGA-B-DL-B
PDP11#MD-11-DZKHA-B#EP-DZKHA-B-DL
PDP11#CZKMAF0#AH-8851F-MC
KMC11-B#CZKMBA0#AH-S877A-MC#1/2
KW11-L#CZKWAG0#AH-8874G-MC
KW11-P#CZKWBJ0#AH-8878J-MC
KW11-W#MD-11-DZKWC-C#EP-DZKWC-C-DL
KW11K#MD-11-DZKWK-A#EP-DZKWK-A-DL-A#1/2
KW11-K#MD-11-DZKWK-A#EP-DZKWK-A-DL-A#2/2
KW11-C#CZKWLA0#AH-F409A-MC
KXJ11-CA#CZKXAA0#AH-U116A-MC
LA36#CZLACF0#AH-8899F-MC
LA36#CZLADD0#AH-8903D-MC
LA180#MD-11-DZLAE-B#EP-DZLAE-B-DL-B
LA36#CZLAFA0#AH-E100A-MC
LA00,34,38#CZLAIB0#AH-E1508-MC
LCP01#CZLCPA0#AH-U023A-MC
DECSA#CZLDIA0#AH-FF45A-MC
LN01#CZLNAD0#AH-T344D-MC
LP11#MD-11-DZLPA-B#EP-DZLPA-B-DL
LP14-LP11-LP05#MD-11-DZLPK-H#EP-DZLPK-H-DL
M9301/9400#CZM9AE0#AH-8956E-MC
KD11-Z,M9312#CZM9BE0#AH-E058E-MC
ML11#CZMLAD0#AH-S390D-MC#1/3
ML11#CZMLAD0#AH-S390D-MC#2/3
ML11#CZMLAD0#AH-S390D-MC#3/3
ML11#CZMLBB0#AH-S430B-MC#1/2
ML11#CZMLBB0#AH-S430B-MC#2/2
ML11#CZMLCB0#AH-S511B-MC#1/2
ML11#CZMLCB0#AH-S511B-MC#2/2
MR11#MD-11-DZMRA-A#EP-DZMRA-A-DL-A
MS11-L/M#CZMSDD0#AH-F2960-MC#1/2
MS11-L/M#CZMSDD0#AH-F2960-MC#2/2
M8743,M7981,M8022#CZMSPB0#AH-T157B-MC#1/3
M8743,M7981,M8022#CZMSPB0#AH-T157B-MC#2/3
M8743,M7981,M8022#CZMSPB0#AH-T157B-MC#3/3
DEUNA#CZNIAA0#AH-FF95A-MC
PC11#MD-11-DZPCA-E#EP-DZPCA-E-DL
PCL11-A,B#CZPLAC0#AH-E260C-MC
PCL11-A,B#CZPLBC0#AH-E263C-MC
CTP#MD-11-DZQCA-G#EP-DZQCA-G-DL-A
PDP11#CZQKBH0#AH-9032H-MC
PDP11#MD-11-DZQMA-B#EP-DZQMA-B-DL-A
PDP-11#MD-11-DZQMB-G0#EP-DZQMB-G-DL-A
MS11#CZQMCG0#AH-9047G-MC
DEQNA#CZQNAD0#AH-T615D-MC#1/2
DEQNA#CZQNAD0#AH-T615D-MC#2/2
DEQNA#CZQNAE0#AH-T615E-MC#1/2
DEQNA#CZQNAE0#AH-T615E-MC#2/2
RK11/05F7J#MD-11-DZRKH-G#EP-DZRKH-G-DL-A
RK11/RK05#CZRKIF0#AH-9238F-MC
RK11/05F/J#MD-11-DZRKJ-E#EP-DZRKJ-E-DL-A
RK11/05F/J#CZRKKF0#AH-9246F-MC
RK11/RK05#MD-11-DZRKL-E#EP-DZRKL-E-DL-A
RLV11/12,RL01/02/11#CZRLGE0#AH-F110E-MC
RL11,RLV11#CZRLHB0#AH-F114B-MC
RL11,RLV11,RL01,RL02#CZRLID0#AH-F118D-MC
RL11,RLV11#CZRLB0#AH-F122B-C
RL11,RLV11#CZRLKB0#AH-F126B-MC
RL01,RL02#CZRLLC0#AH-F130C-MC
RL11,RLV11#CZRLMB0#AH-F134B-MC
RL11,RLV11,RL01,RL02#CZRLNB0#AH-F845B-C
RL01/02,RL11,RLV11/12#CZRLNC0#AH-F845C-MC
RM02/03/05#CZRMLB0#AH-F919B-MC
RM02/03/05#CZRMMB0#AH-F922B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMMB0#AH-F922B-MC#2/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMNB0#AH-F925B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMNB0#AH-F925B-MC#2/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMOB0#AH-F928B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMOB0#AH-F928B-MC#2/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMPB0#AH-F931B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMPB0#AH-F931B-MC#2/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMQB0#AH-F934B-MC
RM02/03/05#CZRMRB0#AH-F937B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMRB0#AH-F937B-MC#2/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMSB0#AH-F940B-MC
RM02/03/05#CZRMTB0#AH-F943B-MC
RM02/03/05#CZRMUB0#AH-S071B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMUB0#AH-S071B-MC#2/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMVB0#AH-S074B-MC#1/2
RM02/03/05#CZRMVB0#AH-S074B-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNAA0#AH-T105A-MC#1/2
RM80#CZRNAA0#AH-T105A-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNBA0#AH-T107A-MC#1/2
RM80#CZRNBA0#AH-T107A-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNCA0#AH-T109A-MC
RM80#CZRNDA0#AH-T111A-MC#1/2
RM80#CZRNDA0#AH-T111A-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNEA0#AH-T113A-MC#1/2
RM80#CZRNEA0#AH-T113A-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNFA0#AH-T115A-MC#1/2
RM80#CZRNFA0#AH-T115A-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNGA0#AH-T117A-MC
RM80#CZRNHA0#AH-T119A-MC#1/2
RM80#CZRNHA0#AH-T119A-MC#2/2
RM80#CZRNIA0#AH-T121A-MC
RM80#CZRNJB0#AH-Z123B-MC
RUX50,RD51/52#CZRQAG0#AH-T399G-MC#1/3
RUX50,RD51/52#CZRQAG0#AH-T399G-MC#2/3
RUX50,RD51/52#CZRQAG0#AH-T399G-MC#3/3
RQDX1/2/3#CZRQAH0#1/3
RQDX1/2/3#CZRQAH0#2/3
RQDX1/2/3#CZRQAH0#3/3
RQDX1,RD51,RD52#CZRQBC0#AH-T567C-MC#1/2
RQDX1,RD51,RD52#CZRQBC0#AH-T567C-MC#2/2
RQDX3,RD51/52,RD53#CZRQCB0#AH-U110B-MC
RD31/51/52/53/54,RQDX3,RX33#CZRQCC0#AH-U110C-MC
RQDX3,RX33#CZRQFA0#AH-FNGAA-MC
RQDX1,RQDX2#CZRQDA0#AH-FH55A-MC#1/3
RQDX1,RQDX2#CZRQDA0#AH-FH55A-MC#2/3
RQDX1,RQDX2#CZRQDA0#AH-FH55A-MC#3/3
RX11,RX01,RX02#CZRXAF0#AH-9336F-MC
RX11#CZRXBF0#AH-9341F-MC
RX211,RXV11#CZRXCA0#AH-E510A-MC
RX11,RX01,RX02#CZRXDC0#AH-E513C-MC
RXV21/RX02#CZRXEA0#AH-E623A-MC
RX11,RX01,RX02#CZRXFB0#AH-E626B-MC#1/2
RX11,RX01,RX02#CZRXFB0#AH-E626B-MC#2/2
TM03,TE16,TU77#CZTEBC0#AH-A795C-MC
TE16,TU16/77#CZTEFB0#AH-B159B-MC
TM03,TE16,TU77#CZTECF0#AH-A798F-MC
TM03,TE16,TU77#CZTEDE0#AH-A801E-MC
TM03,TE16,TU77#CZTEEE0#AH-A804E-MC
TK50#CZTKAB0#AH-T772B-MC
TE16,TU77#CZTEAE0#AH-A792E-MC
TMA11,TMB11#CZTMBG0#AH9399G-MC
TM11#CZTMCD0#AH-S171D-MC
TM11#MD-11-DZTMD-E#EP-DZTMD-E-DL
TMA,B-11#CZTMEE0#AH-9411E-MC
TMB-11#CZTMFF0#AH-9415F-MC
TMA-11#MD-11-DZTMG-C#EP-DZTMG-C-DL-A
TM,A,B-11#MD-11-DZTMH-F#EP-DZTMH-F-DL
TR79-F#CZTRAC0#AH-942BC-MC
TR79-F#CZTRBD0#AH-9433D-MC
TSU05#CZTSAA0#AH-T717A-MC
TSU05#CZTSBA0#AH-T719A-MC#1/2
TSU05#CZTSBA0#AH-T719A-MC#2/2
TSU05#CZTSCA0#AH-T721A-MC#1/2
TSU05#CZTSCA0#AH-T721A-MC#2/2
TSU05#CZTSDA0#AH-T723A-MC#1/2
TSU05#CZTSDA0#AH-T723A-MC#2/2
TU81#CZTU1A0#AH-FG14A-MC
TU81#CZTU2B0#AH-FG16B-MC
TU81#CZTU2A0#AH-FG16A-MC
TM02,TE16,TU16#CZTUAJ0#AH-9448J-MC
TM02,TE16,TU16#CZTUBH0#AH-9452H-MC
TM02,TU16,TE16#CZTUCG0#AH-9456G-MC
TM02/TU16#MD-11-DZTUD-D#EP-DZTUD-D-DL
TU16#MD-11-DZTUE-D#EP-DZTUE-D-DL-A
TU16#MD-11-DZTUF-A#EP-DZTUF-A-DL-A
TM02/TE16#CZTUGC0#AH-9473C-MC
TM02/TU45#CZTUIA0#AH-E470A-MC
TM02/TU45#CZTUJA0#AH-E473A-MC
TM02/TU45#CZTUKA0#AH-E476A-MC
TM02/TU45#CZTULA0#AH-E479A-MC
TM02/TU45#CZTUMA0#AH-E482A-MC
TM02/TU45#CZTUNA0#AH-E485A-MC
TM03,TU45#CZTU0B0#AH-E488B-MC
TM03/TU45#CZTUPB0#AH-E491B-MC
TM03,TU45#CZTUQB0#AH-E494B-MC
TM03,TU45#CZTURB0#AH-E497B-MC
TM03,TU45#CZTUSB0#AH-E500B-MC
TM03/TU45#CZTUTA0#AH-E503A-MC
TU58#CZTUUF0#AH-E649F-MC
TU80#CZTUVB0#AH-T264B-MC#1/2
TU80#CZTUVB0#AH-T264B-MC#2/2
TU80#CZTUWA0#AH-T328A-MC
TU80#CZTUXA0#AH-T333A-MC#1/2
TU80#CZTUXA0#AH-T333A-MC#2/2
TU80#CZTUYA0#AH-T335A-MC#1/2
TU80#CZTUYA0#AH-T335A-MC#2/2
TU80#CZTUZA0#AH-T337A-MC#1/2
TU80#CZTUZA0#AH-T337A-MC#2/2
DEUNA#CZUAAB0#AH-T364B-MC#1/3
DEUNA#CZUAAB0#AH-T364B-MC#2/3
DEUNA#CZUAAB0#AH-T364B-MC#3/3
DEUNA#CZUABC0#AH-T366C-MC#1/2
DEUNA#CZUABC0#AH-T366C-MC#2/2
DEUNA,DELUA#CZUACC0#AH-T228C-MC
M7521,DELUA#CZUADB0#AH-T725B-MC#1/2
M7521,DELUA#CZUADB0#AH-T725B-MC#2/2
M7521,DELUA#CZUADA0#AH-T725A-MC#1/2
M7521,DELUA#CZUADA0#AH-T725A-MC#2/2
UDC11#MD-11-DZUDB-B#EP-DZUDB-B-DL
RA60,RA80,RA81,UDA-50A#CZUDCE0#AH-S831E-MC#1/2
RA60,RA80,RA81,UDA-50A#CZUDCE0#AH-S831E-MC#2/2
UDA#CZUDED0#AH-S837D-MC
RA80#CZUDFA0#AH-S840A-MC
UDA#CZUDGA0#AH-T356A-MC#1/2
UDA#CZUDGA0#AH-T356A-MC#2/2
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CZUDHA0#AH-T929A-MC#1/2
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CZUDHA0#AH-T929A-MC#2/2
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CZUDIA0#AH-T931A-MC#1/2
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CZUDIA0#AH-T931A-MC#2/2
UDA50,KDA50,RA60/80/81/82#CZUDJA0#AH-T937A-MC#1/2
UDA50,KDA50,RA60/80/81/82#CZUDJA0#AH-T937A-MC#2/2
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CZUDKA0#AH-T939A-MC
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CZUDKB0#AH-T939B-MC
UDA50,KDA50,RA60,RA80/81/82#CZUDLA0#AH-FF57A-MC#1/2
UDA50,KDA50,RA60,RA80/81/82#CZUDLA0#AH-FF57A-MC#2/2
PDP-11#CZUGAA0#AH-E122A-MC

PDP-11 DIAG MD INDEX#CZQAGY0#AH-S149A#1/3
PDP-11 DIAG MD INDEX#CZQAGY0#AH-S149A#2/3
PDP-11 DIAG MD INDEX#CZQAGY0#AH-S149A#3/3
PDP11#MD-11-DBKMA-A#EP-DBKMA-A-DL-A
KD11#CCKBCC0#AH-T306C-MC
MS,MF,MA11-P#CCMFAF0#AH-7885F-MC
MS11#MD-11-DCMSB-B#EP-DCMSB-B-DL-A
DL11#MD-11-DDDLA-A#EP-DDDLB-A-DL-A
DR11-C#MD-11-DDDRA-A#EP-DDDRA-A-DL-A
DU11#MD-11-DDDUA-A#EP-DDDUA-A-DL-A
PDP11#MD-11-DDQAB-A#EP-DDQAB-A--DL-A
PDP11-45/55/70#MD-11-DEFPA-A#EP-DEFPA-A-DL#1/2
PDP11-45/55/70#MD-11-DEFPA-A#EP-DEFPA-A-DL#2/2
11/45/55#MD-11-DEFPB-A#EP-DEFPB-A-DL-A
PDP-11-70#CEKBAD0#AH-7963D-MC
PDP11-70#CEKBBF0#AH-7968F-MC#1/2
PDP11-70#CEKBBF0#AH-7968F-MC#2/2
PDP11-70/74#CEKBCD0#AH-0010D-MC
PDP11-70/74#CEKBDE0#AH-7972E-MC#1/2
PDP11-70/74#CEKBDE0#AH-7972E-MC#2/2
PDP-11-70#CEKBEE0#AH-7976E-MC#1/2
PDP-11-70#CEKBEE0#AH-7976E-MC#2/2
11/70-11/74#CEKBFD0#AH-7980D-MC
PDP11-70/74#CEKBGC0#AH-7984C-MC
PDP-11/70#MD-11-DEKBH-A#EP-DEKBH-A-DL
MJ11#CEMJAD0#AH-7991D-MC
MK,MJ,MKA11#CEMKAB0#AH-C6458-MC#1/6
MK,MJ,MKA11#CEMKAB0#AH-C6458-MC#2/6
MK,MJ,MKA11#CEMKAB0#AH-C6458-MC#3/6
MK,MJ,MKA11#CEMKAB0#AH-C6458-MC#4/6
MK,MJ,MKA11#CEMKAB0#AH-C6458-MC#5/6
MK,MJ,MKA11#CEMKAB0#AH-C6458-MC#6/6
PDP11-70/74#CEQKCE0#AH-7996E-MC#1/2
PDP11-70/74#CEQKCE0#AH-7996E-MC#2/2
RH70-A,C#CERHAE0#AH-8001E-MC#1/2
RH70-A,C#CERHAE0#AH-8001E-MC#2/2
RH70,RS03#MD-11-DERSA-A#EP-DERSA-A-DL-A
RH70/RS03/4#CERSBC0#AH-8017C-MC
RH70/RS03#MD-11-DERSC-B#EP-DERSC-B-DL-A
RH70,RS04#CERSDD0#AH-8026D-MC
FP11#MD-11-DFFPA-A#EP-DFFPA-A-DL-A
FP11#MD-11-DFFPB-A#EP-DFFPB-A-DL-A
FP11#CFFPCB0#AH-E1288-MC#1/2
FP11#CFFPCB0#AH-E1288-MC#2/2
PDP11/34#CFKAAC0#AH-8042C-MC#1/2
PDP11/34#CFKAAC0#AH-8042C-MC#2/2
PDP11/34#CFKABD0#AH-8047D-MC
PDP11/34#MD-11-DFKAC-A#EP-DFKAC-A-DL-A
M8268#CFKKAB0#AH-E111B-MC
KT11#CFKTGC0#AH-8052C-MC
PDP11/34#CFKTHB0#AH-8055B-MC
PDP11/04#MD-11-DGKAA-A#EP-DGKAA-A-DL-A
PDP11/04#MD-11-DGKAB-C#EP-DGKAB-C-DL-B
XXDP#CHQDPA0#AH-FG10A-MC
XXDP#CHQFSB0#AH-S867B-MC
XXDP#CHQUSG0#AH-F356G-MC-1
KDF11-B,DLV11-J#CJDLAA0#AH-S971A-MC
M8188,FPF11#CJFPAA0#AH-S441A-MC
M8188,FPF11#CJFPBA0#AH-S444A-MC
KTF11-AA#CJKDAD0#AH-F137D-MC
DCF11-AA#CJKDBD0#AH-F140D-MC#1/2
DCF11-AA#CJKDBD0#AH-F140D-MC#2/2
KEF11-AA#CJKDCB0#AH-F242B-MC#1/2
KEF11-AA#CJKDCB0#AH-F242B-MC#2/2
KEF11-AA#CJKDDB0#AH-F245B-MC
11/24#CJKDEB0#AH-F608B-MC#1/3
11/24#CJKDEB0#AH-F608B-MC#2/3
11/24#CJKDEB0#AH-F608B-MC#3/3
11/24#CJKDFB0#AH-F604B-MC
11/23/24/73,MICRO 11#CJKDHB0#AH-S433B-MC#1/2
11/23/24/73,MICRO 11#CJKDHB0#AH-S433B-MC#2/2
KDF11-B#CJKDIA0#AH-T054A-MC
KDF11-B#CJKDIB0#AH-T054B-MC
KDF11-B#CJKDJB0#AH-T039B-MC#1/3
KDF11-B#CJKDJB0#AH-T039B-MC#2/3
KDF11-B#CJKDJB0#AH-T039B-MC#3/3
LCP5#CJKL5B0#AH-T545B-MC#1/3
LCP5#CJKL5B0#AH-T545B-MC#2/3
LCP5#CJKL5B0#AH-T545B-MC#3/3
11/24#CJM9AB0#AH-T208B-MC
FP11-F#CKFPAD0#AH-F632D-MC#1/2
FP11-F#CKFPAD0#AH-F632D-MC#2/2
FP11-F#CKFPBC0#AH-F635C-MC
FP11-F#CKFPCD0#AH-F638D-MC-1/2
FP11-F#CKFPCD0#AH-F638D-MC-2/2
KD11-Z#CKKAAB0#AH-F620B-MC#1/2
KD11-Z#CKKAAB0#AH-F620B-MC#2/2
KD11-Z#CKKABD0#AH-F632D-MC#1/2
KD11-Z#CKKABD0#AH-F632D-MC#2/2
KD11-Z#CKKACC0#AH-F617C-MC
KD11-Z#CKKFAA0#AH-F640A-MC
KD11-Z#CKKFBA0#AH-F643A-MC
KK11-B#CKKKAC0#AH-F626C-MC#1/2
KK11-B#CKKKAC0#AH-F626C-MC#2/2
KD11-Z#CKKTAB0#AH-F611B-MC
KD11-Z#CKKTBD0#AH-F614D-MC
KD11-Z#CKKUAE0#AH-F629E-MC
SGB#CKSGBB0#AH-T090B-MC
TR79F#MD-11-DMQUF-B#EP-DMQUF-B-DL-B
TR79F#MD-11-DMQXA-B#EP-DMQXA-B-DL-A
MSV11-D#CNKMAA0#AH-T472A-MC
DEQNA,11/21+#CNQNAA0#AH-T852A-MC#1/2
DEQNA,11/21+#CNQNAA0#AH-T852A-MC#2/2
11/21+,RLV11,RL01/02#CNRLGA0#AH-T756A-MC
11/21+,RLV11,RL01/02#CNRLHA0#AH-T758A-MC
11/21+,RL01/02#CNRLIA0#AH-T748A-MC
11/21+,RL01/02#CNRLJA0#AH-T750A-MC
11/21+,RL01/02#CNRLKA0#AH-T752A-MC
11/21+,RL01/02#CNRLLA0#AH-T754A-MC
11/21+,RD51,RX50#CNRQAA0#AH-T760A-MC#1/3
11/21+,RD51,RX50#CNRQAA0#AH-T760A-MC#2/3
11/21+,RD51,RX50#CNRQAA0#AH-T760A-MC#3/3
RX02#CNRXDA0#AH-T474A-MC
RX02#CNRXFA0#AH-T478A-MC
KDJ11-B#COKDAE0#AH-T854E-MC#1/3
KDJ11-B#COKDAE0#AH-T854E-MC#2/3
KDJ11-B#COKDAE0#AH-T854E-MC#3/3
KDJ11-B/BF#COKDAF0#AH-T854F-MC#1/3
KDJ11-B/BF#COKDAF0#AH-T854F-MC#2/3
KDJ11-B/BF#COKDAF0#AH-T854F-MC#3/3
KDJ11-B#COKDBA0#AH-T869A-MC
KDJ11-DA#COKDOA0#AH-FG68A-MC
KDJ11-DA#COKDOB0#AH-FG68B-MC
KTJ11-B#COKTAC0#AH-T876C-MC
RK06#MD-11-DTR6A-A#EP-DTR6A-MC
TC11#MD-11-DTTCA-B#EP-DTTCA-B-DL-A
TM11#MD-11-DTTMA-B#EP-DTTMA-B-DL-A
PDP11#MD-11-DTVDA-B#EP-DTVDA-B-DL-A
AAV11#MD-11-DVAAA-A#EP-DVAAA-A-DL-A
DLV11J#CVDLAB0#AH-E189B-MC
DRV11J#CVDRCC0#AH-F758C-MC
DRV11-J#CVDRDB0#AH-F761B-MC
DLV-11#CVDVAD0#AH-B151D-MC
DLV-11F#CVDVCC0#AH-E007C-MC
DZV11#CVDZAD0#AH-A878D-MC
DZV11#CVDZBD0#AH-A939D-MC
DZV11#CVDZCB0#AH-A942B-MC
DZV-11#MD-11-DVDZD-A#EP-DVDZD-A-DL-A
LSI-11#CVKAAC0#AH-8187C-MC
11/03#CVKABB0#AH-S366B-MC
LS-11#CVKACC0#AH-8196C-MC
PDT-11/LS-11#CVKADC0#AH-8200C-MC
DLV11#MD-11-DVKAE-B#EP-DVKAE-B-DL-A
DRV11#CVKAFE0#AH-8207E-MC
LSI-11#MD-11-DVKAH-A#EP-DVKAH-A
LSI-11#CVKAIB0#AH-8216B-MC
LSI-11#CVKAJB0#AH-8220B-MC
LSI-11#CVKALA0#AH-F013A-MC
MSV11-J#CVMJAA0#AH-U136A-MC#1/3
MSV11-J#CVMJAA0#AH-U136A-MC#2/3
MSV11-J#CVMJAA0#AH-U136A-MC#3/3
MSV11-J/L/P#CVMJAB0#AH-U136B-MC#1/3
MSV11-J/L/P#CVMJAB0#AH-U136B-MC#2/3
MSV11-J/L/P#CVMJAB0#AH-U136B-MC#3/3
MNCAD,MNCTP#CVMNAC0#AH-B086C-MC
MSV11-DD,LF,PK,ED,LK,PF,PL#CVMSAA0#AH-S437A-MC
MSV11-DD/LF/PK/ED/LK/PF/PL/R/QA/QB#CVMSAB0#AH-S437B-MC
PDP-11,11/73#CVMSBB0#AH-T588B-MC
DEQNA#CVNIAA0#AH-T586A-MC
RLV11,RL01,RL02#CVRLAC0#AH-B108C-MC
M8061,RL11,RLV11/12#CVRLBB0#AH-S827B-MC
DHU11#CXDHUA0#AH-T803A-MC
DEC/X11,DHV11#CXDHVD0#AH-T674D-MC
DJ11#CXDJAL0#AH-E723L-MC
DL11#CXDLAL0#AH-E711L-MC
DEC/X11,DL11-E,DLV11-E#CXDLBC0
DEC/X11,DL11-E,DLV11-E#CXDLBC0#AH-F000C-MC
RA60/80/81,UDA50A,KDA50Q#CXDUBD0#AH-S915D-MC
RA60/80/81,UDA50,KDA50#CXDUBE0#AH-S915E-MC
CD11#CZCDAD0#AH-8403D-MC
CD11/CD20#MD-11-DZCDB-B#EP-DZCDB-B-DL-B#1/2
CD11/CD20#MD-11-DZCDB-B#EP-DZCDB-B-DL-B#2/2
DMR11,DMC11#CZCLKC0#AH-F593C-MC
DMV11,DMP11#CZCLMC0#AH-F599C-MC#1/2
DMV11,DMP11#CZCLMC0#AH-F599C-MC#2/2
CM11-F#MD-11-DZCMB-B#EP-DZCMB-B-DL-A

pbirkel@gmail.com
November 19th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I could need help in making the PDFs, as Al told me he's too busy for that.

Amazing work, and an amazing list. What's needed to accomplish the final to-PDF step?

Joerg Hoppe
November 20th, 2014, 10:03 PM
What's needed to accomplish the final to-PDF step?
Don't know, therefore I'm asking!

Process is this, with steps 2-4 TODO:

1. I deliver optimized TIFF's, one per document page.
I put them on some server for access, ordered by fiches.
For many weeks, the pile of TIFFs there will grow.

2. All pages of a fiche are reduced in size whithout impacting image quality.
Then they must be packed into one PDF.
If the fiche is multipart ( like "1 of 3", "2 of 3", "3 of 3"), all part go into one single PDF.
The PDF name is generated from meta data in the "label.txt", which I produce for each fiche.

3. It would be very niche if some inital OCR is performed,
and the result is overlayd over the PDF to make a "Searchable PDF".
http://www.morethantechnical.com/2013/11/21/creating-a-searchable-pdf-with-opensource-tools-ghostscript-hocr2pdf-and-tesseract-ocr/

4. For the resulting PDF a place in the bitsaver tree must be found and it must be handed over to Al.

pbirkel@gmail.com
November 28th, 2014, 05:28 AM

If the fiche is multipart ( like "1 of 3", "2 of 3", "3 of 3"), all part go into one single PDF.
The PDF name is generated from meta data in the "label.txt", which I produce for each fiche.

See Al's notes at the bottom of: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/

- Post-processing is done using Lemkesoft's Graphic Converter (http://lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm)
- TIFF to PDF conversion is done using Eric Smith's tumble (http://tumble.brouhaha.com/)

??

Al Kossow
November 28th, 2014, 03:00 PM

1. I deliver optimized TIFF's, one per document page.
I put them on some server for access, ordered by fiches.
For many weeks, the pile of TIFFs there will grow.

3. It would be very niche if some inital OCR is performed,
and the result is overlayd over the PDF to make a "Searchable PDF".
http://www.morethantechnical.com/2013/11/21/creating-a-searchable-pdf-with-opensource-tools-ghostscript-hocr2pdf-and-tesseract-ocr/

4. For the resulting PDF a place in the bitsaver tree must be found and it must be handed over to Al.

I'm in the middle of completely redoing my workspace at the museum, so I just got to the point where the page scanner and the new blueprint-sized scanner
are set up. And there was the whole thrash for a few weeks with the bitsavers server move and getting all the mirrors going again.

TIFF -> PDF is easily done with Eric Smith's Tumble program, it can generate bookmarks for each page with the -b %F option. I can take care of OCR in a batch,
I just don't have time right now to build the pdf files.

Joerg Hoppe
December 6th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Half time! 215 of 430 fiches are scanned: 26140 dokument pages, 118 GB of raw images.

Joerg Hoppe
December 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Complete: 428 fiches, 53545 pages, 227GB. Starting post processing ...

pbirkel@gmail.com
January 16th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Complete: 428 fiches, 53545 pages, 227GB. Starting post processing ...

Joerg: Tried to send you a PM but apparently your mailbox is full? (You're not using it for extra storage space, are you :->?!)

Joerg Hoppe
January 20th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Paul,

I have only 6 mails without attachments in my folder ... space is not the problem.
It seems I can neither receive nor write PM's anymore, some problem with my account.
So let's be public: Your fiches arrived today in good conditions!

Joerg

jackrubin
January 21st, 2015, 08:51 PM
There has been a problem with people spamming PMs so Erik has set an activity threshold for access to the PM system - http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/announcement.php?f=13&a=5 . Members with a low number of posts apparently don't meet that threshold.

Jack

Joerg Hoppe
March 20th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Big day!

330 XXDP PDFs are ready for download now.

You can download here:
ftp://u58104846-pub:open4you@ftp.j-hoppe.de
(Note the embedded user/password strings)

The scans come in two versions: "high quality" and "black&white":

The HQ version is gray level and contains a true image of the micro fiches,
after non-destructive contrast enhancement. It is the base for further image processing.
Download path is ./fichescanner/gh/hq

The BW version is compressed to black & white and aggressively
optimized for size and letter quality. File sizes are 20x smaller than the HQ version.
Its intended for daily use and OCR, but for some very problematic fiches textual information is lost.
Download path is ./fichescanner/gh/bw

And there is a background article on
http://retrocmp.com/projects/scanning-micro-fiches
describing the self-build automatic micro fiche scanner (video!)

Enjoy!

Joerg

vaxorcist
June 22nd, 2015, 07:24 AM
Hi,

I am urgently looking for the Diagnostic Listings for the VAX-11 computers (/780/750/730/725) which were only available on microfiche. Have you got any of those or do you know anyone who has got or might have them?

I live in Germany not far from Joerg Hoppe who did the impressive scanning of a huge number of PDP-11 Diagnostic Listings.
It might be possible to persuade him to process the VAX Diagnostic Listings as well ...

Regards,

Ulli

shattered
June 13th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Thank you for putting these online.

There's a minor problem -- EP-DVKAH-A-DL-A__LSI-11__4K_SYSTEM_EXERCISER__MD-11-DVKAH-A__(C)1976.pdf actually contains "DZVTC-C, VT50A acceptance test"; the rest of the scans seem fine.

(I am trying to use VKA* tests to validate T11 cpu core in MAME and a listing of this test would be quite useful)