PDA

View Full Version : Sound Blaster 16 ASP CT2290 initialization

nestor
March 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Today I got a Sound Blaster 16 model CT2290 with the ASP soldered onboard. It is not a plug and play card, but it doesn't have jumpers for IRQ or DMA settings. When I run HWINFO diag program, it founds it at 220h but there is no DMA or IRQ set, so the card doesn't work booting on DOS. Runing DIAGNOSE program initializes it until the next reboot.

I have another CT2290 that doesn't have the ASP chip, and this card doesn't need any initialization, it appears at 220h IRQ5 DMA1-5.

How can I configure the ASP card to self-initialize as the other CT2290 card? Are there any hardware or software to activate this feature?

Anonymous Freak
March 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
You have a soft-set plug-n-play card. You need to install the software.

per
March 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
It's using some sort of "Pseudo PnP" interface, and you will need to install the SB16 drivers in order to use it.

Drivers can be found in another very recent thread here on the forum.

PeterNY
March 8th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Correct. There are a number of drivers that need to be loaded in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT for such a Sound Blaster 16 ASP to work.

nestor
March 8th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Yes, I know that if I set the BLASTER= string and run DIAGNOSE /S command, the card is initialized.

The point is that I have an identical CT2290 without the ASP chip that autoinits without loading any driver or app, and I wanted to set the ASP card to behave in that way...

PeterNY
March 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Yes, I know that if I set the BLASTER= string and run DIAGNOSE /S command, the card is initialized.

The point is that I have an identical CT2290 without the ASP chip that autoinits without loading any driver or app, and I wanted to set the ASP card to behave in that way...

You could be out of luck: Creative is notorious for having released CT**** cards with the same # in the past, which actually were completely different products.

Cloudschatze
March 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Sounds like they're not identical. :)

Are the "DSP" versions the same? Are the CT1747 bus-interface/OPL chips the same? (Later versions bear Yamaha's "OPL" trademark.) It certainly seems as if the card not requiring the use of the DIAGNOSE utility is being provided a default set of values from somewhere.

Creative is notorious for having released CT**** cards with the same # in the past, which actually were completely different products.

Example?

nestor
March 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Sounds like they're not identical. :)

Please excuse a dyslexic ignorant and forget this thread.

As Cloudschatze suggested, I started to think that the cards could have some differences that I didn't see in the past (I was sure they were the same size). The ASP card is installed in a machine in storage for several months, but I had registered its components in my inventory spreadsheet, soundcard included (CT2290).

After recovering the machine and removed the cover the truth was revealed. IT IS A CT2910 AND NOT A CT2290. They look similar but have great differences, and the most important are the jumpers: the CT2910 has jumpers for IRQ and DMAs.

I think this machine had the CT2290 installed previously but for some unknown reason I replaced it with the CT2910, that for other unknown reason I did not register in my component database.

I promise to check all the details before asking again to the forum. :(

PeterNY
March 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Example?

Check out various cards on eBay and you will find the differences.

per
March 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM

I have provided an example in the "Soundcard for sale tracker" thread, where this also is mentioned.

Cloudschatze
March 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM

I'm well aware of variants sharing the same parent CT number. What I want to see is an example of two "completely different" products with the same CT number. :)

PeterNY
March 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I promise to check all the details before asking again to the forum. :(

Do not worry! Be happy!
http://www.fulfilledreams.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dont-worry-be-happy-2.jpg