PDA

View Full Version : This is a neat blast from the not-too-distabt past

NathanAllan
January 9th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I found this link about the '99 PC expo. Thought I'd share...

http://www.reviewsonline.com/PCX99-PR.htm

Zmatt
January 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM
hard to realize how far we have come in the last few years.

jjzcp
January 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Man did the exebit labeled "epower from future power" ever rip off the imac. I'm sure that if the company that made that unit went into serious production, Apple would of sued.

NathanAllan
January 9th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Apple did sue. I remember hearing about it on the little commentaries on the radio that I hear on talk radio.

http://www.iwr.co.uk/vnunet/news/2107735/apple-sues-second-company-alleged-imac-design-copying

Terry Yager
January 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I can't see it. While the two machines share a slight similarity in looks, they are completely different in functionality.
That would be just like one car manufacturer suing another for producing a vehicle with four doors, rubber tires, and a V-6 engine...

--T

carlsson
January 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
A computer unit with integrated drives and monitor has been around since the 70'ties. Maybe the softened corners, the contrast colour, the slim keyboard and what appears to be a transparent mouse all together were reasons to have Apple think someone had infringed their design.

I believe Jobs when he says Apple invested a lot of money and effort in the original iMac design, and if I was in his shoes, I would not like some Korean cheapskate suddenly trying to pick the fruit from my trees. I recognize the eMachines brand as one Dixons associated chains (from where I got my digital camera) are selling these days. Maybe by now they had enough time and money to spend on some designers of their own, although some companies may see product development as a waste of resources if there already exists good products you can take advantage of.

mryon
January 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Hey! you can't make a computer as ugly and toyish as ours!

NathanAllan
January 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Did y'all hear about a Chinese Starbuck's coffee lawsuit? Apparently, the word pronounced "shing bakuh" sounds too much like "starbuck's" to be legal in communist China.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/01/03/chinese_court_supports_starbucks_in_name_tiff/

I personally think the name game in business is rediculous. Heck, if people are gonna do that, then the scifi channel should sue Starbuck's cause they own the rights to that name from Battlestar galactica!

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

So it's okay if I wanted to name a store Jedi Woodworking? Or whatever? Apparently I can in this country. Starbuck->Battlestar Galactica, Jedi->Star Wars??? I bet scifi would win that one. Rediculous to me.

dreuby
January 16th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Ah, but how would you feel if you had a nice little shop selling beautifully refurbished old computers, and called Nathan's Classic Computers. Then someone opens up a few doors (or even streets) away, selling tatty old jumk computers, and calls it Nathan's Vintage Computers? Soon, people will confuse you both, "Don't buy anything from that junk merchant" because they're thinking of his shop ... pretty soon you (and any family) are out on the street 'cause your business has gone bust ... I'm getting tearful, I better stop there! :cry:

In the UK, I don't think they can touch you if it really is your name - for example if your surname really is MacDonald, and you open a burger bar, there's nothing Big Mac can do. That's why big businesses guard their trademarks (like the golden arches) so carefully.

carlsson
January 16th, 2006, 01:49 PM
On some markets, trademarks, copyrights and patent protection may have limited use, if the local authorities don't recognize such intellectual properties. I've seen pictures of the grill on some domestic Chinese cars, and they strike a similarity to both Japanese and German brands. As long as they don't export, I suppose the damage as well as countermeasures are limited.