PDA

View Full Version : Eight gallons of cooking oil

carlsson
January 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM
The guys writing for Tom's Hardware comes up with a new kind of fanless cooling, using cooking (or motor) oil. You need a container without leaks, and quite some preparations, in particular the CPU. Once the oil is inside the computer, it will be rather nasty to change any components, but it is said to work quite well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

Some people mount fans in their vintage computers when they find them running hot. I'm not so sure the cooking oil method is recommended for an irreplaceable vintage system though. Maybe the more traditional water cooling using tubes and pumps.

CP/M User
January 13th, 2006, 11:46 AM
"carlsson" wrote:

> Some people mount fans in their vintage computers when they find
> them running hot.

I'm not so sure that mounting a fan to a vintage computer is such a great idea - the proper way of using a coolant for vintage computers is to use a Silicon heat transfer compound. Unick is the product I've heard about - apply that to your chips (e.g. CPU) & it allows the heat to be easily passed freely.

Sure a fan would work - but it just seems to be more drastic & the Unick method is reasonibly cheap & available from any local electronic shop, as well as being being a quicker job to perform.

CP/M User.

carlsson
January 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
In the Denial VIC-20 forum, various cooling methods have been discussed quite recently, and one guy made detailed temperature readings inside the computer depending on shielding, passive cooling, fans and so on. As long as the fan fits and your cooling solution works, I wouldn't object although personally I have never felt that my VIC runs so hot that it would need cooling.