PDA

View Full Version : TU80 on Q-Bus Microvax 4000

marmotking
March 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I recently acquired a TU-80 in great condition and did some research on how I might attach it to a Q-Bus Microvax (4000/200 or 4000/300 to be exact). The TU-80 has two long cables coming out of the bottom. Each with a three row, D-style connector...one cable with male, one cable with female.

I did some research and found the following site, claiming with the aid of dilog customer support, that I can use a DQ132 tape controller to connect the TU-80 to my Q-Bus Microvaxes:

http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/dq132.htm

The DQ132 apparently emulates a "DEC TS11 interface" and can control "TSV05 (very slow tape drive) drive or the TU80". "It is supported by RT-11, RSX-11M, VMS, and NetBSD."

So, I found a DQ132 and purchased it for a reasonable price. Used, but with a guarantee. Now, what I am missing is the cable to go from the ribbon cable type header on the DQ132 to the 3 row d-style connector on the cables coming from the TU-80.

If anyone could help me out with this, or where to find information about it, I'd be greatly appreciated!

marmotking
March 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Perhaps the answer lies here: http://comley.us/browse.php?&action=show&artefactID=1056

It looks like a further inspection of the TU-80 is in order. It appears from the above link that there are two card edges inside the TU-80. I wish I had it right here to look, but it's sitting in a warehouse.

gslick
March 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM
If the TU-80 internally has the standard Pertec (2x) 50-finger card edge connectors then all you should need are a pair of 50 conductor ribbon cables with header connectors on one end and card edge connectors on the other.

I built a pair of such cables to connect a DQ132 to a Qualstar 1052.

I bad results trying to build cables without the proper tools so I bought a used 3M 3640 press and a PanaVise 507 ribbon cable cutter. That makes building ribbon cables easy.

I'm local in Seattle if you need some cables built.

-Glen