PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5170s

Druid6900
April 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I was taking a look at the 2 5170s I got with those Bernoulli boxes and I'm a little puzzled about the video card in one of them (it might be the same card in the other one).

In the good one (which must have been a spare because, other than being a little dusty on the inside, it's in perfect condition other than a piece missing from the front grill. I'll just use the case top from the other one which needs LOTS of work. The good one even still has the velcroed on plastic back cover on it.) the card is a 6287173xm which translates into "IBM video card" (for big bucks, it seems) when you do a search on it. It has a 4 position switch at the top, two RCA jacks in the middle and a db-9 at the bottom. It's, obviously, a colour card, but is it a CGA or EGS card?

Thanks for any info

deathshadow
April 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
My guess would be EGA since it sounds like it lacks a parallel... but I'd have to see a picture of it. Also, that "number" doesn't google to anything, you sure you typed that in right? Is it a short card? long card?

mbbrutman
April 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I think it is an EGA card based on the RCA jacks and the DIP switches, but the part number is wrong. Are there other part numbers on it?

Druid6900
April 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
My guess would be EGA since it sounds like it lacks a parallel... but I'd have to see a picture of it. Also, that "number" doesn't google to anything, you sure you typed that in right? Is it a short card? long card?

EGA was my guess too, and, no, the number is a bit wrong. It's 6278173xm (got the 7 and the 8 backwards)

Chuck(G)
April 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
The 2 RCA jacks are the giveaway--it's an EGA card. (Unless the card is fitted with an option, the RCA jacks have no connection). Look like this?

http://82.114.193.227/vga2/images/stories/vlask/ostatni/egafb.jpg

Druid6900
April 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yup, except for the colour of the switch and the headers, that's it. On my card, the top RCA jack center connector has a trace that goes through a via to the component side and disappears under the chip at the top right of the board. A trace on the component side from the top ground pad for the top RCA jack disappears under the same chip.

Druid6900
April 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Well, I've been doing a little work on those 5170s that the original post referenced and the one that has the EGA card I asked about seems to be a True Blue, through and through 5170-6002?0 (hard to read the sticker on the chassis front) in REALLY nice condition.

It's had an AST Advantage! Memory Expansion and I/O card added with, I believe, 128KB of memory and 2 empty banks (18 chips each). It has game, 2 serial and a parallel port and a connector for a Advantage-Pak daughter card to contain a total of 3MB of extra memory.

It also has a Cipher S/P 8 bit card, nothing exciting.

The motherboard seems to be a Type 3 512KB with the two banks of 9 x 256KB x 1.

Pretty much a standard IBM AT with the EGA video card and extremely clean and unused looking on the inside. The only thing that spoils it is a piece of plastic at the bottom of one of the air grill on the front cover is broken off. I get a two short beep post error and nothing on the screen on power up, but, I'm sure I can get it working.

Now, the other one LOOKS like an AT, but, with the exception of an IBM motherboard ( a 239, I believe) there is nothing IBM about it. DTC seems to make a damn good imitation of the IBM 5170 case.

It looks like, at some point in time, the battery exploded all over the motherboard through the little hole that the CMOS battery wire comes out of. Not leaked, exploded all the way across the back edge of the board. After I drill the screw at the back out, I'll see the extent of the damage and if it's worth it to try and clean it up.

What is fairly interesting is the other components that were in the unit;

A Priam ID62-AT-D2 60 MB MFM ST412 hard drive
A CDC WREN II HH 94205-51 43MB 5.25" 1/2 height MFM ST506 hard drive
An ATI VGA Wonder-16 Rev. 2 video card with 2 banks of 4464s
A not-so-interesting Panasonic JU-475 1.2MB floppy
An IBM Parallel port card (1501987xm/1501988 )
An Artisoft 2000/C Orbit Noderunner card
A DTC5280CZ (not the "I" version) FD/Dual HD controller with a 37-pin external connector
An Intel Above Board PS286 (the one with the internal serial port and the external serial and parallel ports) maxed out with 2 MB

So, there is some good stuff in the fake 5170.

MikeS
April 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Interesting goodies for sure.

Yo, Dru: ya want some more AT clone cases? I've got one or two headed for the dump; as usual, not worth shipping.

We should talk; long overdue for a visit.

Druid6900
April 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
No, no more cases. No more servers LOL

I'd like the plastic front piece for a 5170 though :) , maybe the whole casetop :)

Yeah, give me a call or e-mail and I'll call you. Visit when she's not home LMAO

MikeS
April 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM
No, no more cases. No more servers LOLAww... Some nice dual-cpu Proliants, some E-series IBMs, all with hot-swappable SCSI drives... You can't let those go to the dump, can ya?
Anybody else wanna pay shipping or need parts?

I'd like the plastic front piece for a 5170 though :) , maybe the whole casetop :)Sorry, no gen-oo-ine 5170s, just PC, XT and Expansion boxes, but mos6502 has persuaded me that it's a mortal sin to scrap those for parts ;-)

Yeah, give me a call or e-mail and I'll call you. Visit when she's not home LMAOHmm, might be nicer to visit when *you*'re not home, wink, wink... ;-)

lutiana
April 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Aww... Some nice dual-cpu Proliants, some E-series IBMs, all with hot-swappable SCSI drives... You can't let those go to the dump, can ya?

Hmm, tell me more about these servers. Also, what are the specs on the 5161 chassis you have.

MikeS
April 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Hmm, tell me more about these servers. Also, what are the specs on the 5161 chassis you have.I'll have to look at the servers; it's been a while and I don't remember the details, and I've also already scrapped several of them. I do remember that they're *heavy* though.

The 5161 is only the chassis (essentially identical to an XT except for the logo), although I *may* have the cable and *big maybe* the two interface cards; yes, I did the unspeakable deed and scrapped it for parts many years ago. Ole Juul might have the missing parts though...

lutiana
April 10th, 2011, 09:39 PM
The 5161 is only the chassis (essentially identical to an XT except for the logo)

Actually, that may work for me. I am thinking about rebuilding a modern machine into an XT style case. How much to think that would cost to ship to Nor Cali?

MikeS
April 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Actually, that may work for me. I am thinking about rebuilding a modern machine into an XT style case. How much to think that would cost to ship to Nor Cali?Gimme a few days to find out.

Sounds a little wasteful though if all you want is an XT-style case; an XT case oughta be fairly easy to find, whereas a complete 5161 would be considerably more desirable for the right person.

lutiana
April 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Gimme a few days to find out.

Sounds a little wasteful though if all you want is an XT-style case; an XT case oughta be fairly easy to find, whereas a complete 5161 would be considerably more desirable for the right person.

Yeah, thats a good point. Ahh, well I probably don't have the money for all of this right now anyway.

tipc
April 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have a card like this also, but it has a daughtercard.

Since there isn't a 6845, and a bunch of custom IBM ic's, it must be an EGA.

I have to admit it stumped me for a while too.

Druid6900
April 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Aww... Some nice dual-cpu Proliants, some E-series IBMs, all with hot-swappable SCSI drives... You can't let those go to the dump, can ya?

Yes, I can, not a problem. If they have Fujitsu MAP3367NP drives in them, I'll take them real quick.

Sorry, no gen-oo-ine 5170s, just PC, XT and Expansion boxes, but mos6502 has persuaded me that it's a mortal sin to scrap those for parts ;-)

Yeah, well, it was worth a try. Life without mortal sins is BORING!!!

Hmm, might be nicer to visit when *you*'re not home, wink, wink... ;-)

Right, OK, She's liable to beat you about the head and shoulders with a chair if you show up with so much as a backplane cover in your care. She's wise to your "I was just taking this equipment out for a ride. You want it?" routine now.

Druid6900
April 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I have a card like this also, but it has a daughtercard.

Since there isn't a 6845, and a bunch of custom IBM ic's, it must be an EGA.

I have to admit it stumped me for a while too.

Oh, I was pretty sure it was an EGA card. I have enough of the ATI variety, but, with IBM, you just never know.....

MikeS
April 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM
If they have Fujitsu MAP3367NP drives in them, I'll take them real quick. I'll have a look JIC, but most of the drives are 80-pin, 18GB.

Floppies_only
April 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM
DTC seems to make a damn good imitation of the IBM 5170 case.

Back in 1994 my employer's secretary used a Sperry computer which had a case that looked the same color and dimentions as the IBM AT. Ebay item 150592795581 is a Sperry portable that has a keyboard that looks like the 83 key 5150 keyboard, although the rest of it doesn't look like a 5155.

Sean

EverythingIBM
April 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'll have to look at the servers; it's been a while and I don't remember the details, and I've also already scrapped several of them. I do remember that they're *heavy* though.

Awww man! Throwing out IBM servers? I love those things!

Druid6900
April 22nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Just to update this, I replaced the dead battery in the actual 5170 with a pack and 4AA alkaline batteries, ran gsetup to set the parameters and it booted up fine.

The EGA card, which was the gist of this thread, has intensity issues, so, I'll have to trace back pin 6 (SG/I) on the connector and see where the signal gets lost as the computer works fine when I put an ATI EGA Wonder 800 in it.

Once that's done and I see if I can get an intact front piece for the casetop, it will be ready to put on my site.