PDA

View Full Version : Lisa plastics + a pressure wash?

NeXT
April 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
This black paint is going to either become the end to me or my lisa.
The DOT 3 brake fluid worked a bit but I can't get the paint ouf the textured plastic.
Another random brainstorm that hit me what would happen if I went afer the paint with a pressure washer? Sure I would have to slowly crank up the pressure until I had something that was getting the paint off but not oblitering the plastic or would the plastic be too fragile?

RetroHacker_
April 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM
You could try putting the case parts in the dishwasher. I've had good luck cleaning computer casing parts that way. It works great to get the ground in grunge out of the textured plastics, but I have no idea if it would be enough to get rid of spray paint.

-Ian

Lorne
April 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM
The Retr0Brite treatment has taken paint off when people didn't want it to, so it should do it, when you do want it too.

Added side benefit = de-yellowing while you're at it.

NeXT
April 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Don't currently have the chemicals to mix up a retrobrite batch at the moment. The hydrogen peroxide is remarkably hard to get.

Druid6900
April 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM
A pressure washer might be a little overkill and hot water is more "energetic" than cold water.

If I was faced with the situation (and I have to clean up a LOT of computers) I'd try a scrub brush with stiff plastic bristles and some hot (100-120F) water with dish-washing detergent in it (water first then detergent so it's not all bubbles). On any spots that didn't take it off from, I'd try a little WD-40, wait 5 minutes and try the scrub brush again.

If the paint tends to smear, reduce the temperature of the water by adding a bit of cold water.