PDA

View Full Version : Creating a super mac -128

bluethunder
April 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I know most people say, leave an early Mac 128k as is, and if you want an early compact, get a 512 or plus. I'm just throwing around some ideas if I wanted to create a super 128.

I've read at 68KMLA, that you can put 128k plus roms in, to get HD20, and HFS. I would store the orignal roms safely of course..

That led to a thought (and I'll have to check the logic board schematics), if you could create a little daughter board, that plugs into the 2 rom sockets, with new roms, and a memory upgrade. Depends how many of the address / data lines make it to the rom sockets.

I've also got a parallax propeller dev kit coming, to see if i can emulate the 400/800 floppy drive, and use diskcopy images. Fought a brutal battle trying to make system disks for that thing.

RetroHacker_
April 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
You can't upgrade the RAM from the ROM sockets. The third party upgrades (like the Dove MacSnap) attach over the tops of the existing soldered-in DRAM.

Upgrading the ROMs without upgrading the RAM is kind of pointless - I've done it. You will keep running out of RAM with most things.

Making system disks for the 128 is dead easy - just use DiskCopy 4.2 on a newer Macintosh with a built-in floppy drive.

-Ian

bluethunder
April 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Normally it would be, but the SE i have, doesn't support the version of stuffit or diskcopy (i can't remember which now, it was a while back) used to encode all the old system disks I could find that would run on the SE.

Floppies_only
April 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Normally it would be, but the SE i have, doesn't support the version of stuffit or diskcopy (i can't remember which now, it was a while back) used to encode all the old system disks I could find that would run on the SE.

Couldn't you ask somebody to do it for you?

Sean