PDA

View Full Version : Start a Kaypro Registry?

Mos6502
April 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I thought it might be interesting to collect serial numbers and notes from Kaypros to get a better idea of how many of what variations were made.

Although the Kaypro CP/M portables didn't seem to change much visually they went through a lot of minor changes.

For instance the cooling vents along the top of the sides of the case went from having 22 slots, to having 29 slightly thinner slots at some point.
http://powflip.com/data/photographs/kayprovs.jpg
This photos shows a lot of the differences that could be noted. Kaypro II, 019627 is on the right, and Kaypro 1, 284352 is on the left.

Serial numbers I have seen run up to the low 400,000s, and I assume they start at 1.

Would people be interested in digging out their kaypros and listing any notes of interest?

Things to note could be:
Vents: wide or thin slots (the early slots are 6mm wide, the later slots are about 4mm wide)
Wire stand: present or not
Disk Drives: Vertical or Horizontal
Ports: 1 serial and 1 parallel, or two serial and one parallel.
Power cord: removable or fixed
Is it labelled for NLS or Kaypro corp... etc.

And if you've got the time to take the cover off, rom versions and disk drive brands could be interesting too - Kaypro sourced a lot of components from different companies at different times.

Anyway here's what I've got on hand:

Kaypro II 019627, large vents, horizontal drives, fixed power cord, no stand, ROM 81-149c

Kaypro new2 252358, small vents, horizontal half height drives, removable power cord, stand, ROM 81-478.

Kaypro 1 284352, small vents, vertical half height drives, removeable power cord, stand, ROM 81-478-A.

Anybody who wants to contribute doesn't necessarily have to list those things, but just list any characteristic they think may be of interest.

Anybody think this would be interesting to pursue?

Thanks.

GottaLottaStuff
April 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
OK, I'll go next. :)
Kaypro II, 010584, large vents, horizontal 1/2 height drives, fixed power cord, no stand, NLS label, 1 serial port, 1 printer port.
Not sure where to look for ROM version, forgot to check drive makers. I have three of one and one of another, so something ain't original anyway. :) Pictures are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47936517@N05/sets/72157626527210014/with/5632726018/

Mos6502
April 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
The rom will be an IC with a big sticker on it - yours looks to have an upgrade ROM from Micro cornucopia. The half height drives are also upgrades. It looks like a hacker had a lot of fun with that kaypro back in the 80s. :D

List of Kaypros, ordered by serial number:

*Kaypro II, 003309, vertical drives, no stand, fixed power cord. http://www.selectric.org/kaypro/index.html
*Kaypro II, 008523, horizontal drives, no stand, fixed power cord. http://www.selectric.org/kaypro/index.html
*Kaypro II, 010383, has a Digital Dynamics Speedpro-5 modification (supposedly has a clock but I see no battery anywhere), 1 serial, 1 parallel, no wire stand, permanent power cord.
*Kaypro II, 010584, large vents, horizontal 1/2 height drives [aftermarket drives, Mos], fixed power cord, no stand, NLS label, 1 serial port, 1 printer port.
*Kaypro II, 014074, large vents, no wire stand, 2 full height horizontal "flap" drives, 1 serial, 1 parallel, fixed power cord
*Kaypro II, 019627, large vents, horizontal drives, fixed power cord, no stand, ROM 81-149c
*Kaypro 10, 049910 Has the advent turbo bios and a video mod. switchable std or 8mhz, wire stand, 2 serial, 1 parallel, another jack next to keyboard jack, guessing it's for a light pen? [It's for a light pen, Mos]
*Kaypro 2x, 240132, 2 half height drives, wire stand, 2 serial, 1 parallel, another jack a little left of center again for a light pen? [it's for the modem, Mos]
*Kaypro 2X, 242269, ROM:81-292, 2x Epson SD-521 FDDs.
*Kaypro new2, 252358, small vents, horizontal half height drives, removable power cord, stand, ROM 81-478.
*Kaypro New 2, 269967, wire stand, 2 half height horizontal "push" button drives, 2 serial, 1 parallel, modem, removable power cord
*Kaypro 1, 278922,vertical drives, wire stand, removable cord. http://www.selectric.org/kaypro/index.html
*Kaypro 1, 284352, small vents, vertical half height drives, removeable power cord, stand, ROM 81-478-A.

GottaLottaStuff
April 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I hope he enjoyed it. The *&^%&^% scratched his name and address into the Kaypro and the bottom of the keyboard. :(

GADFRAN
April 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Wow ! What a great idea – and no one else ever proposed it !!!

I will do my part, but very busy right now !

Would love to put a lot of this as a reference in my future Kaypro books.

We must document all of this before it is all gone.

Can provide a lot of “hints” as to how Kaypro developed – remember – they were probably – arguably ??? – just the “second” portable personal computer [PPC] after Osborne and before Compaq. They tried so hard, but Compaq and the IBM clones just wiped them out eventually !!!

If we do not do it, who will ???

So it all can all be lost in the great “cosmos” in the sky !

Note the one picture of a Kaypro does not have a flip type stand on the bottom. Clarke the great sci / tech author has his propped up on the keyboard, so his must have been an earlier version.

Did not know of the “Greek” chip from Microcornucopia.

So much to learn in only one short life time !!!

So yes, please encourage all to contribute.

Frank

MikeS
April 18th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I thought it might be interesting to collect serial numbers and notes from Kaypros to get a better idea of how many of what variations were made.
Thanks.
2X, S/N 242269, ROM:81-292, 2x Epson SD-521 FDDs.

Wanna buy some parts?
LMAO

Mos6502
April 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Sure, sell the "whole unit" part of the machine. ;)

phogren
April 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Great idea. Here's my contribution:
Kaypro 10 serial#49910 Has the advent turbo bios and a video mod (Video mod doesn't seem to work correctly). switchable std or 8mhz, wire stand, 2 serial, 1 parallel, another jack next to keyboard jack, guessing it's for a light pen? I really like this computer. I have another 10 serial#86850 missing some parts.

Kaypro 2x serial #240132, 2 half height drives, wire stand, 2 serial, 1 parallel, another jack a little left of center again for a light pen?

Kayrpo II 010383, has a Digital Dynamics Speedpro-5 modification (supposedly has a clock but I see no battery anywhere), 1 serial, 1 parallel, no wire stand and the permanent power cord.

Mr.Amiga500
April 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Yes, this is a good idea, but there should be some kind of consistent way to record the data in a readable list - preferably kept updated in the original post or something. Or maybe there should be an attached spreadsheet, headings for the different models, ordered by serial number (and fields for the various features). Otherwise, the different Kaypro versions and variations will remain a confused mess.

I've got a Kaypro II and a New 2, but I'll have to shift them around for the serials and open them to find the ROM versions.

barythrin
April 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Dunno the security or practicality but google has a shared spreadsheet app that I think is free to use. Similarly was used for the xt-ide project. I don't recall if the old-computers.com registry allows serial numbers but that's another thing I've considered for my own personal inventory though I've never actually sat down to do it.

Hm.. I haven't looked at the wiki for a while, but perhaps this would be another thing that it could do? A similar computer registry for serial numbers and/or users? Only risk would be if it's always publicly editable or if it could be tied down to only editable by the user that the page is about.

Mos6502
April 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ok, I'll put all the computers in the original post. I guess once/if we have a bunch we can organize them into some sort of spreadsheet.

Edit: I guess I can't edit the OP... so I'll put everything into the second post I made.

MikeS
April 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Ok, I'll put all the computers in the original post. I guess once/if we have a bunch we can organize them into some sort of spreadsheet.

Edit: I guess I can't edit the OP... so I'll put everything into the second post I made.There's been a registry for the Kyocera-based laptops like the Tandy M100 for quite a while that works pretty well (although the site appears to be down at the moment); you can add your own entries but I don't remember what was used, whether one could edit one's entries etc., but I suppose a Google spreadsheet would do just as well as long as someone keeps a backup.

Mr.Amiga500
April 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Edit: I guess I can't edit the OP... so I'll put everything into the second post I made.

Now it's looking nice. :thumbsup:

Here are my Kaypros (ROM numbers to follow when I have time to open the cases):

Kaypro II, 014074, large vents, no wire stand, 2 full height horizontal "flap" drives, 1 serial, 1 parallel, fixed power cord
Kaypro New 2, 269967, wire stand, 2 half height horizontal "push" button drives, 2 serial, 1 parallel, modem, removable power cord

By the way, there are 24 large vent slots on the top of the Kaypro II, not 22.

Mos6502
April 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
There are 24 slots on the back, but 22 slots on the sides.

I'll add 'em to the list, thanks.

EDIT: Also noticed, is the fuse holder on your II recessed, or does it stick out of the case?

GADFRAN
April 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I was going to send these Excel spreadsheets, but the system does not allow it – it just hangs up. Anyone who can tell me how to do it is most welcome.

Pictures are fine as you can see below.

Many different types of Kaypro vent configurations for Kaypros.

Attached are some pictures from our Kaypros of vent configurations.

Also see "icons" for Netherlands Kaypros - make sense - different languages so use icons - but says "made in USA" - so in CA and not anywhere else

I am working on an Excel spreadsheet for the “inside” of the Kaypros, but that is much more complex – some details to consider to follow in another post.

================================================== ================

Briefly, if that is possible for me – I see too much in things ! Sorry.

With respect to “ Registry for Kaypros “ – attached are Excel spreadsheets

1] Nadeau’s computer book summary

2] My initial draft of such a spreadsheet for a Registry for Kaypros
– for outside case only

3] Sorted version of above spreadsheet.

Hope this helps in better understanding what we are up against.

A great idea, but how do we really make it “workable” and “useable ?”

All input most welcome.

Frank

P.S.

Hope they come thru ok, I am still new at “attachments” on this web site.

GADFRAN
April 30th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Another complication - only can post 5 at a time - so wil have to do 1 - 2 more posts

You will have to sort them out by name and number - it will not let me delete them

Also noticed says PDF is an acceptable format - but my PDF files were too large

Ah, what fun all this computing stuff is - new and old !!!

==================================================

Attached are “ suggested rough scanned “ copies of the three [3] types of Excel spreadsheets noted below for a Kaypro Registry.

These spreadsheets are only initial drafts “ to give us all an idea of what we are up against, since there are so many even just Kaypro production variations with many Kaypro models, so I did not fuss with scanning them.

How do you best present this information without getting into so much detail that the Excel spreadsheets get too large with a lot of detailed information that may only apply to a very few Kaypros ?

So if you want to add your Kaypro to the list, just post as much info as you can and I will add it to the main list as I get time.

I would like to add this Kaypro Registry Excel spreadsheet to my next Kaypro book, but that is probably at least a year or more away.

This book would go into “dissecting” early Kaypros, since there are so many variations of just one model. That can help a great deal with any repair issues, besides identifying just what Kaypro you have or might be considering getting.

Thanks !

Frank

================================================== ==================================

Note –

I was originally going to send these as Excel spreadsheets, but this website does not allow it – it just hangs up – it does not even recognize Excel spreadsheet extensions.

Then I tried to send the Excel spreadsheets in “ PDF format,” but they become too large a file in that format for this web site.

AOL email lets you send both versions – Excel and PDF.

If I am missing something here, please let me know, so we can all learn from this particular “attachment” experience.

I am working on an Excel spreadsheet for the “inside” of the Kaypros, but that is much more complex – some of the many details to consider will follow in another post.

================================================== ================

With respect to a “ Registry for Kaypros “ – attached are the “rough scans “ of the “initial rough drafts” of the Excel spreadsheets for -

1] Nadeau’s microcomputer book summary

2] My initial draft of such a spreadsheet for a Registry for Kaypros
– for “ outside case “ only

3] Sorted version of above spreadsheet with posted information available
so far on this site.

Hope this helps in better understanding what we are up against.

A great idea, but how do we really make it “workable” and “useable ?”

All input most welcome.

Frank

P.S.

Hope they come thru ok, I am still new at “attachments” on this web site.

Chilton’s Kaypro repair book by Williams and Nadeau’s book are still readily available from many internet sources – around $25 each or less.

Of course the Kaypro tech manuals are available from the bitsaver web site as free downloads.

GADFRAN
April 30th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Rest of posts -

Thanks for your patience - mine is stressed, but ok - at least it is all working now !

Frank

Mr.Amiga500
July 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I noticed that both my Kaypros have the "Ontario Hydro Electrical Approval" sticker on them. That means they were originally sold in Ontario, not somewhere else and later shipped to Ontario.

It's... not really useful information... but it just proves that Kaypros were available for sale in Canada, not just the US.

tezza
July 24th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Back pics of my two Kaypros here with me in New Zealand.

Kaypro II serial number 005322 (with vertical drives)

Kaypro 4 serial number 118450

Tez