PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm Unix-happy...

NathanAllan
January 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Since I got to this new class, Unix Fundamentals, I've had an idea, and I want to be critiqued.

Since boradband has become more available to most people, the net has been getting more and more geared to those users with all the heavy graphics and huge flash files, etc. I was thinking about maybe setting up a server for all the old dos, Atari, C64 and all the other computers to connect to without all the heavy garbage that comes with typical internet. this is a brand new idea for me. I was thinking that it could be reached through the net or dial-up a number that leads through the internet to that webserver, to bbs's, online gaming (like pong, modem wars, XvT, things like that), and maybe even file sharing. I've seen a couple of things like that for the commodore and others, but it's always been for specific machines. I want a Tandy to be able to talk to an Atari and play modem wars or something. I mean, if the hardware is there, I think it'll work. All of those dusty 1400 baud modems could be used again. Also through ethernet if you have something liek that.

There's a LOT of technical stuff I'm leaving out, I know, but this is still a conceptual idea for me. It's in it's baby stages.

And since I'm a networking student, i *might* be able to set it up at the college :!:

Does this qualify as "something cool?"

carlsson
January 25th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I believe QLink has been "resurrected" recently by loyal fans. It may have been C64 specific, but there was talk about making clients for other computers as well. Nothing prevents you from setting up your own BBS, webpage or other system. Most of the graphics, flash, java and so on are loaded upon request from the browser, and a text only browser would ignore all those components (thus possibly making the page unaccessible) so many "heavy" web pages should be loadable - albeit maybe not browseable - on a such low-end system too.

vic user
January 25th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Does this qualify as "something cool?"

totally!

chris

Vlad
January 25th, 2006, 05:47 AM
You should go for it. Its a great idea. People have done this type of thing in the past, but never really stuck with it that long. I think you could break that record. Go for it!

-Vlad

mbbrutman
January 26th, 2006, 05:53 AM
So what are you proposing? A multi-user BBS?

NathanAllan
January 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Multi-user, multi-platform server, file storage (not that much but we're talking small files, too), file sharing, online gaming, chatting, whatever, for 8, 16-bit and older Macs like the 1mb. I haven't decided if I want to build a machine myself to be the (linux) server or bum one of the old school ones from these companies that upgrade from them. I mean, I want an Atari user to be able to play pong or whatever with a Tandy user. I've been thinking hard about this, too. It's still in its conceptual stage, though. But much more than a multi-user BBS.