PDA

View Full Version : Uninterruptible Power Supplies

DimensionDude
January 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Hi ya'll,
I'd like to hear your views, thoughts, rants etc. on the virtues and/or vices of the various brands of UPS.

I had a CyberPower 500 that worked for a couple of years but sometimes the computer would crash when it switched to battery power. The CyberPower eventually suffered an electronic failure.

I was then given a TrippLite Internet Office 290 that was malfunctioning. Turned out to be a bad battery, so I ran wires out of the case to connect to the battery from the broken CyberPower. This worked for about a year, then the TrippLite failed and would no longer charge the battery. It also would cause the occasional problem when switching to battery power.

I now have the cash to buy a new UPS and I can't decide between APC and CyberPower. APC has a sterling reputation, but the units in my price range don't have voltage regulation.

Best Buy is having a sale (instant rebate) on CyberPower units, making a UPS with voltage regulation affordable (900VA normally $114, now $81).

So far, I haven't found any reviews of CyberPower UPS, many glowing reviews of APC.

Warranty for APC is 2 years, CyberPower is 3 years.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kent

Terry Yager
January 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I've always had good luck with APC units, FWIW.

--T

80sFreak
January 26th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Have you tried changing the battery? I have an APC which has a replaceable battery...

Cheers,

80sFreak

DimensionDude
January 26th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I have an APC which has a replaceable battery...

But they're all replaceable, aren't they? Just a question of how easily you can get to the battery. :wink:

To answer your question, yes, I did replace the battery. Installed a freshly charged battery, after approximately 24 hours the UPS shows a battery fault, battery voltage is down to 10v.

I've pretty much decided not to get another standby type UPS. The computer crash (or router or cable modem lockup) from the switchover from line to battery power reduces the usefulness rather a lot. My next unit will have voltage regulation as well.

Kent

DimensionDude
February 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
I decided to roll the dice and bought the CyberPower UPS. I got the CP1200A VR with output of up to 720W and voltage regulation. There's a fairly loud "clack" upon switchover from line to battery but it doesn't crash the computer or lock up the router or cable modem. That part of it seems fine.

The downside, however, is that the included software can't communicate reliably with the UPS when running on anything less than an Athlon XP class processor. To make a long story short, I tried various combinations of WindowsXP and Windows98SE on a K6/2-300, Athlon 750, Athlon 1200 and Athlon XP 1700+ and only the Athlon XP gave good results. On Win98SE it killed my antivirus software (Avast!) and also seemed to conflict with the Windows Task Scheduler.

Tech support from CyberPower was ok, I got a real person, but my direct questions weren't answered. They're sending a serial cable to try, the unit comes with a USB cable.

I suppose it's just as well that I had to upgrade my server as the K6/2 is an AT type board so it can't perform a software controlled power down.

Well, gee, this almost turned into a rant, didn't it?

Kent

Chuck(G)
October 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I've been running a 1.4KVA Elgar UPS continuously for nearly 20 years now. Instead of the sealed gel cells, it's hooked to a stack of deep-cycle marine batteries.

In those 20 years, I've had to replace one filter capacitor and one 50W zener diode. Other than that, it's been trouble-free.

Fire-Flare
October 7th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I use a CyberPower UPS. Its sole purpose is to give me time to properly shut down my equipment when the power goes out, so I didn't bother with the communications cable.

My power isn't very reliable during Winter storms, the UPS has saved faithfully saved my equipment for 2 years, and has never given me any problems.