PDA

View Full Version : DOS Antivirus?

RWallmow
April 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Anyone know of any DOS antivirus programs out there on the web that can run on an 8086 or 80286. I found f-prot for DOS, however it needs minimum 80386, so that rules it out on many of my DOS machines.

A couple of my vintage PCs are infected with the NYB virus, the floppies clean up easy enough on my modern PC with MS Security Essentials, but every time I stick them back in my 286 they just get re-infected, I would love to find some antivirus that would run on these old PCs and get them cleaned up.

Some of my boxes I could just yank the drives and put them in a modern PC to clean, however some are formats that I can't install or read on any of my modern boxes (ie IDE disks formatted with ontrack, ISA hardcards, MFM/RLL drives).

barythrin
April 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Well you could always boot them with a newer dos floppy (write protected) and then clean it with your favorite scanner. Unfortunately I don't recall running any virus software on pre dos 5.x f-prot was good, norton was the best (IMO), mcafee was present and ok, Microsoft had their little MSAV virus scanner that knew a few things that I think was bundled into dos 6. There was one like thunder something which I would avoid (couldn't clean crap). Some friends and I tested all of them on our virus collections just to see which was "the best". At that time and most years of our tests Norton came out with the most detections. Now I have no idea if they pulled a Mcafee and just could detect but not clean (that was a huge issue with mcafee and hence my distaste for their product).

RWallmow
April 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Well you could always boot them with a newer dos floppy (write protected) and then clean it with your favorite scanner. Unfortunately I don't recall running any virus software on pre dos 5.x f-prot was good, norton was the best (IMO), mcafee was present and ok, Microsoft had their little MSAV virus scanner that knew a few things that I think was bundled into dos 6. There was one like thunder something which I would avoid (couldn't clean crap). Some friends and I tested all of them on our virus collections just to see which was "the best". At that time and most years of our tests Norton came out with the most detections. Now I have no idea if they pulled a Mcafee and just could detect but not clean (that was a huge issue with mcafee and hence my distaste for their product).

DOS version or boot disks arent the problem here, its the CPUs in my vintage boxes, all modern scanners require 386 or newer CPU, which my DOS machines just dont have, and that MSAV in dos 6 doesnt do NYB (in my opinion its the most useless virus scanner out there).

I am hoping someone out there has some vintage AV they would be willing to share, pretty much anything back in the day would catch NYB (except MSAV).

Agent Orange
April 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
NYB virus is an old timer - must go back to the early 90's. Boot your pc with a known good system disk and invoke FDISK /MBR when at the A: prompt.

Maverick1978
April 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
I used to successfully use Central Point Anti-Virus on 8086 PS/2 Model 25's... I ran it on everything up to my 486-class systems as well. It did pretty good, IMO. It came with some of the later versions of PC Tools, and was also sold separately. Though I never did get any updates for this program.......

In regards to F-Prot, I downloaded the DOS version of that, but was unable to get it to update more than the default 1992/1993 definitions, even with the vintage 1995/1996 definitions that I found. How do you guys work around this issue?

modem7
April 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Anyone know of any DOS antivirus programs out there on the web that can run on an 8086 or 80286. I found f-prot for DOS, however it needs minimum 80386, so that rules it out on many of my DOS machines.
Version 9.531 of 'VET for DOS' will work on a 286 machine. Dated 1997.
At http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/software/VET_for_DOS_9531_1997.zip

EDIT: A test revealed that it works on 8088 based PCs as well.

Jorg
April 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I pulled out some disks - what I found I zipped up (untested):
http://www.2shared.com/file/VmFBGn0x/avdos.html

RJBJR
April 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
One more that might be useful.

Some Help (http://home.earthlink.net/~russellbaker/cpav.rar)

RWallmow
April 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
Wow some great suggestions. I will give these a try. Thanks guys.

MasawVx
July 30th, 2014, 08:48 AM
this thread has been made three years ago but i hope im not yet late for some help.. you can check my AV that i created years back during my college days..the last version was an unreleased beta in 2005.. i uploaded it to my onedrive account, just download VCheck.exe, it works on 286 machines and up. http://1drv.ms/1qLbsQ6