PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 10 Acquired! Now to get it working...

Twylo
May 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hey folks! I haven't posted here in WAY too long. Things have been pretty quiet for me on the vintage computer front, lacking both space and time to indulge myself. But last week a friend gave me a Kaypro 10 that he found being thrown out, so I guess I'm back in the game.

The thing has seen better days, so I have not attempted to supply power yet. Luckily the electronics are in good shape and I think it'll run. It was pretty filthy, but I've started to clean it out and do a thorough inspection. Looks like nothing but surface dirt and oxidation and rust on screws. Nothing major wrong in the main unit.

The worst damage is to the keyboard. If you know Kaypros, you know that they're often stored standing upright on rubber feet attached to the bottom of the keyboard. Well it looks like this one was in a basement flood at one point - but a very shallow one. Water apparently got into the keyboard and rusted out the chassis pretty badly. The electronics look salvageable to me, but I haven't done extensive cleaning on it yet. I'll know more later on this week when I've had a chance to fully clean the solder side with some alcohol and inspect all the traces. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

Fun stuff! I'll post some pictures once I get back home to my camera.

GADFRAN
May 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yes, please let us know how you progress.

We need all the info we can get.

Do searches on this site for a lot more info.

Also post on the proposed Kaypro Registry we have just started to help us all.

All the best !

Frank