CP/M User
February 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2003/01/os_quiz/windows_1.jpg

This is ridiculus - how can I be described by some OS site that I'm a
worthless piece of Crap - when by definition I'm not even an OS. Sure I
messed around with some of those questions - but it's not even
technically correct. Even GEM doesn't even carry the duty of being an OS,
sure they both have friendly way of handling files - but it's all the
underlying OS which does the hard yards.

What a ridiculus quiz this is - I mean it implies I need GUI to function, but
nothing else - doesn't make sesne. I didn't even give the slightest hint
that I needed a Mouse & yet this is what it offers. Insane.

Sure I can see the funny side to it - but lets face it, an OS is an OS - not
Windows 1.0.

CP/M User.

Vlad
February 4th, 2006, 03:54 AM
At least you didn't end up Windows ME......

-V

CP/M User
February 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM
"vlad" wrote:

-> At least you didn't end up Windows ME......

I never used either Windows ME or 1.0 for that matter. I've used Windows
286, which from what I was told is more advanced that Windows 1.x. I
have no idea what ME is supposed to be like - seemed to have gone as
quickly as it came. Might be worth something someday ;-)

CP/M User.

carlsson
February 6th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I wonder if there is any configuration where 2000/XP is too big/slow but ME is suitable. My brother picked up a 450 MHz Pentium III for my dad last weekend, and suggested to install ME onto it. I vetoed for 98SE in that case, but it may end up with XP.

Zmatt
February 18th, 2006, 06:08 PM
my pIII dell from 2000 came with ME, at first it was fine but the next few weeks it had locked up and/or crashed more than me win 95 machine that replaced it, last july i upgraded to XP and maxed out its RAM (512mb) and its a happy little machine now :) From what i gather win 1.x isnt an OS it is just a GUI extension of MS-DOS although i could be mistaken, as far as what ME is like the interface is like 2K but 2K is much more reliable.

Terry Yager
February 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Win 1x wasn't even much of a GUI, more like a file manager or DOS shell (I think they called it an 'executive'). It's windowing capabilities were severely limited, especially when compared to it's competitors, GEM, GEOS, DeskMate, TopView, DesqView, VisiOn, etc. And multi-tasking?...Forget it! I always preferred DeskMate, myself, it had the best-looking interface. MicroSoft won out in the end, not because thier product was superior, but simply because they had the clout to see to it that more apps were produced for Windows than for any of the other programs (they could apply a lot of pressure onto smaller software companies).

--T

Vlad
February 20th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Screw Windows 1x, The DOS shell was way easier to navigate. Come to think of it, I never used MS-DOS. I only have used IBM DOS (Yes it IBM's DOS and I have the Floppy to prove it.) and the Windows XP Command Prompt. (not DOS, just a goofy prompt) Otherwise I was all UNIX and Bash prompt all the way.....

-V

vic user
February 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
<quote>I always preferred DeskMate, myself, it had the best-looking interface</quote>

yeah, i find it pretty cozy looking.

i have it on my tandy hx-1000, and it works pretty darn good for being on floppy.

chris